1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

axial wraith question

Discussion in 'Newbie Q & A' started by harold, May 8, 2012.

1. harold

harold New Member

i have a axial wraith rtr and im wanting to put a brushless motor and esc in it ,what would be the best brushless setup to put in it
    im thinking of the traxxas brushless motor and esc
    but im not sure yet
    please give me sugguestions
    thanks

2. Madmardigan

Madmardigan Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Depends on how much your willing to spend. The velenion system will be fun for bashing and hill climbing, but your slow speed control will suck. so crawling with that system will be very difficult. If you want to still be able to crawl your going to need a sensored set up. A Mamba Max Pro and a Tekin SC4X or Pro4 motor is a good set, you'll still be able to crawl, and it will have tons of power. But the ESC may run hot if you over gear.
    I'm using a Tekin RX8 and a Pro4 on 3s. All I can say is I LOVE this set up. Runs completly cool, has HUGE power and tourq, and i'm getting a hour run time of hard driving with a 5000mah 35c lipo.
    With that you'll need to do some upgrading to the drivetrain. Steel gears for the trans, and at the minimum beef up the stock driveshafts by adding a piece of music wire to the hole in the shaft with the splines and epoxy it in. or just upgrade the driveshafts to MIP

3. Kyle_L

Kyle_L Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

i have seen alot of different brushless setup ran in these trucks. look for a 4pole motor or 2pole, it will give you way better crawling with the same top speed.

4. harold

harold New Member

im going to replacing my stock drive shafts with mip drive shafts and im also replacing all the tranny gears to robinson racing steel gears
    and you guys suggest i replace the drive axle output shafts that goes to the wheels?
    would there be anything else i should upgrade?
    please replay back

5. Madmardigan

ELiTE MEMBER

Should be fine, thats more than I upgraded on mine. All I upgraded was the plastic trans gears, and did a little beefing up of the stock driveshafts. I have close to 20 packs ran through it with a pro4 3300kv motor on 3s. All I have broken is part of the front bumper. The driveline is holding up way better than I expected.

6. harold

harold New Member

hey there
    what make of brushless esc and motor are you using in your axial wraith?
    please reply back?
    thanks

7. Madmardigan

ELiTE MEMBER

I'm using a Tekin RX8 for the ESC and a Tekin Pro4 3300kv motor. Not excatly cheap, but well worth it IMO. Its insane! Fast, and tons of tourq

8. harold

harold New Member

i have been looking at brushless motor and esc's at HobbyKing R/C Hobby Store
    there not badly priced on there
    would this be a good place to get a brushless setup?

9. harold

harold New Member

10. harold

harold New Member

11. harold

harold New Member

ok im aout 90% sure im going to put the traxxas velineon brushless power system combo in my axial wraith but i have be told that as soon as i put the brushless setup in my axial wraith i will be replacing lots of parts on it,i have replaced the stock drive shafts to mip drive shafts and i have also replaced the 2 gears in the tranny to robinson racing gears
    could i please get help with this

12. SamsRC4U

SamsRC4U Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

The Traxxas system is fast but has no torque for what the Wraith is designed for. You'll probably have some issues with broken parts. I've tried many setups for my Wraiths from slow, torquey (55t) brushed set ups to a 10t brushless Novak System. An 18t Novak Brushless System with a 23 tooth pinion will give you more speed than the rtr & more torque than the stock set up. Search the motors you're interested in on youtube (not the Wraith, just the motor, see what comes up just to get an idea of how the motors perform. Here's the link for one of the novaks' I mentioned.

TowerHobbies.com | NOV3225 3225 Novak Timbuk2/Ballistic Crawler Brushless System 18.5T

Good Luck. Like I said, I've tried everything, I've chosen a 35t brushed tekin or holmes hobbies motor with a 26 tooth pinion. Decent speed & goes anywhere.

#12 SamsRC4U, May 23, 2012
    Last edited: May 23, 2012
  13. Madmardigan

ELiTE MEMBER

All I upgraded on my wrath was the trans gears, and beefed up the stock driveshafts. Still haven't broke any part of the driveline, and I'm using a 4 pole motor on 3s.

14. harold

harold New Member

i just purchased all vanquish upper and lower links for my axial wraith from amain hobbies