1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Batteries!!!!!

Discussion in 'Newbie Q & A' started by andycarlson12, Jan 22, 2018.

1. andycarlson12

andycarlson12 New Member

Hello,

I had an uncle pass away and I was gifted his Traxxas Stampede with a Reedy 2400 mah battery and Onyx 200 charger. He never really used it much and it is about 5 years old. I have been unable to get the battery to charge. The charger says it's dead when it starts charging but goes to full charge and starts trickle mode within a couple minutes. I have tried on the 3 and 5 amp settings with the same result. When I have tried driving the truck, I get about 1 minute before the battery is dead. I bought a new exact duplicate battery but have had the same results. Am I doing something wrong or is tbere something wrong with the charger? How much run time (city street) should I be getting? Thanks in advance!

2. Antho11

Antho11 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Welcome to the forum! What battery are you using? Is it a nimh or lipo?

3. andycarlson12

andycarlson12 New Member

Nimh. I just tried it and had some success. After the last time it ran for a minute or so, I put it on the charger and it went from dead to fully charged within a couple minutes again. I left it on trickle mode for 3 days and tried it. I got 10 minutes before i got cold (20F tonight) and came it but it was still running strong. The other nights I tried it was probably closer to 0. Does that have any effect or was it truly the long trickle charge? Should I complete wear the battery out before I charge it or does it matter? Thanks in advance!

4. WallacEngineering

Media:
    Nickel-Metal batteries suffer from an effect called "memory" where the cells tend to get used to being treated a certain way, and then slowly adapt/adjust to their environment. This is what caused the battery to malfunction in the first place. After sitting around for so long with no charges or discharges, the cells adapted to their stored voltage, and its why they were very hesitant to take a charge or provide a decent run time. It is indeed ideal to fully drain NiMh batteries before charging them so the can "adapt" to a full cycle. After being stored for so many years, I suspect you will need to fully drain and fully charge the battery around a dozen times before you see the battery's maximum performance.

To be honest, that old NiMh is probably no longer able to achieve its true potential, batteries do have a limited life span after all. The Stampede is a rather large 1/10 scale vehicle, capable of some pretty high power output. If the ESC, motor, and charger are able to handle a Lithium-Polymer battery, then I would discard the old Ni-Mh and purchase yourself a couple good LiPos (run one while charging one), probably just 2S packs. This LiPo here is just $27, and with its 5400mAh and 50C discharge, it will be more than enough power to provide the Stampede with the ability to perform to its absolute maximum, as well as give you more than double the run time of that old NiMh even when it was brand new: https://www.smc-racing.net/index.php?route=product/product&path=67_97&product_id=480

What ESC and Motor are powering your Stampede?

On another note, sorry for your loss.

Antho11 likes this.
  5. Antho11

Antho11 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Also make sure the esc is in nimh mode and NOT in lipo if it has one. You can try cycling the pack, charging and discharging it. With a few cycles it might come back. Or else @WallacEngineering has some good advice.