1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Beat up type look?

Discussion in 'Mods, Paint & Body Work' started by Deadbolt9008, Oct 31, 2018.

1. Deadbolt9008

Deadbolt9008 Member

Hey Everybody!
    So I was working on my SCX10 and I had a chance to finally finish my Jeep Body and start drilling holes. Yet as my first body, I did not realize I should of drilled the holes first. Anyway, drilled the holes and tried to clean it up a little and ended up scratching basically the whole front end of my truck. Another newbie mistake.
    Anyway, I figured, I'm going to use this as an excuse, because I put it on and the wheels are touching the body, so I need to cut it up a little to make it fit. I figured make it look like its supposed to be there. Like an old rusted apocalypse look?

Something along the lines of like this, with the covered windows, except make it look like its already been through a zombie apocalypse with broken windows and rust, etc. I want to do like rust around the fenders, so that it looks like most of it has rusted away.

[​IMG]

Anyway, I'm posting here cause I don't know where I'd start or how to do this. I looked around and found how to do it with a new body, but since mine is already painted, how would I do it? Any suggestions or ideas help.
    Thanks!

I can post pictures of the Jeep Cherokee Body if needed.

2. summitnut

summitnut Super Moderator
    SUPER MODERATOR

Media:
    I have a rusty kinda beat up look on mine. red oxide primer then scattered rock salt on it sprayed the blue.swept off the rock salt.
    Scuffed it up a bit to soften the edges where the (rust)spots are.
    Then a few coats of clear to help protect it a bit.a flat clear will help give it a less shiney new look[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Deadbolt9008 and walter like this.
  3. Deadbolt9008

Deadbolt9008 Member

Thats exactly what I'm looking for. But I already have painted the body, so will that affect it? Or do I just do it over what I've painted already?
    And how exactly did you get the rusted look?
    Thanks.

4. summitnut

SUPER MODERATOR

Media:
    I sanded,then painted the primer
    Used rock salt as masking so to speak.light coats of blue then when dry remove the rock salt leaving the red showing through randomly .I had no real idea what I was doing just watched a couple vids to get the idea of how to do it and winged it.lol where and how I drive does the rest of the damage.
    Mine is painted on the outside so when it gets scratched the red rusty color shows through.
    Make sure you clean the shell very well after sanding and in between coats thin coats to avoid runs.

#4 summitnut, Oct 31, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2018
    Deadbolt9008 and Antho11 like this.
  5. Deadbolt9008

Deadbolt9008 Member

Ok, cool! So basically the red when sanded down will look like rust?

6. summitnut

SUPER MODERATOR

Media:
    Close without actually making a color I dabbed a bit of watered down brown on to muddy it up a bit
    [​IMG]

Deadbolt9008 likes this.
  7. Deadbolt9008

Deadbolt9008 Member

Sweet, Thank You! That helps a lot. I now have ideas for the rusted look.

Anybody have any ideas for the barred windows? I figured get some small metal mesh with some aluminum flat pieces and somehow just put it on the windows. I have it all figured out, but I'm just deciding how to attach it. Any Ideas? I'm really trying to make it look very realistic to the truck.

[​IMG]

I'm going to first start with the rusted look and then add the barred windows and other attachments. A lot will be custom most likely.

walter and summitnut like this.
  8. Deadbolt9008

Deadbolt9008 Member

Here is the body as now:
    [​IMG]

Notice the wheels touching:
    [​IMG]

So I'm not worried about the front lights being painted over, because I'm going to replace the front end with this:
    [​IMG]

I'll end up having to cut off most of the front.

So I'm going to start making a List and getting the supplies I need. However, looking in the picture, you can see how I'll really have to cut a lot on the back wheels... Anyway to move the body up a little?

9. summitnut

SUPER MODERATOR

Media:
    Or stretch the wheelbase a little bit
    To avoid having to cut too much.

10. Deadbolt9008

Deadbolt9008 Member

I tried doing that, but it didn't extend the wheel base long enough. Unless there are longer... agh, sorry, forget the name of the part... to buy which would extend it. That would be helpful.

11. summitnut

SUPER MODERATOR

Media:
    Longer links and maybe driveshaft.
    Lots of people make their own links revo rod ends some all thread rod
    And some tubing to hide the threaded rod

cbaker65 likes this.
  12. Deadbolt9008

Deadbolt9008 Member

Okay.
    Well, for now, I'm just going to go with the body. A cheaper solution in a way. I finally got it up and running, but with Traxxas electronics and a Axial Motor. The Axial receiver and ESC got fried when I drove it in water.
    Anyway, I trimmed away a little at the front bumper and it doesn't rub anymore. I'm going to set up a small track and see which areas the body needs to be trimmed when going over rocks and stuff.
    Anyway, Thanks for the Help!

summitnut likes this.