1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

best beginer rc drift car

Discussion in 'Newbie Q & A' started by Dreamer, Mar 26, 2013.

1. Dreamer

Dreamer New Member

what is the best beginer rc drift car?

Hello all i want to get into rc drifting soon but im not shure what would be the best drift car for a beginer iv looked into tamyia's, 3racing sakura D3, and the hpi sprint 2 flux. As of now i am leaning more twords the hpi after watching the learning to drift vids that medic has posted on youtube. Any advise would be welcome, pros and cons and what not.

#1 Dreamer, Mar 26, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2013
  2. Dribble

Dribble Super Moderator
    Staff Member SUPER MODERATOR

I have had all these brands and more or currently do. The Sakura is a great chassis but due to it having a high CS ratio its not usually suggested for begginers as CS chassis are harder to drift for most people then your normal 50/50 setup which is what most chassis are. Also it is a kit and can be a bit tricky on the build with this one if you do not have any experience with building kits.

What Tamiya's where you looking at? Personally if its the TT01's I suggest no. Just not a fan of them. Same with the HPI E10's I dont suggest them either.

But the HPI Sprint 2 which I also have had is a good beginner chassis for sure I would say. I had mine for 2 years and only sold it to help someone else get into the hobby. Sprint 2 has easy parts to get, durable etc. Price is great for the fact it is RTR as well.

So personally for a beginner. I suggest the Sprint 2.

3. MrRcFanatik

MrRcFanatik Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

I've got a TT-01... it's not a "bad" car... it's just not GREAT! LOL!

I've looked a bit at the Team Associated TC4... it mainly comes as a roller, so you'd have to source the rest of the parts (body, wheels/tires, electronics, etc) but it's basically a far better version of the TT-01. Fairly inexpensive too.

I've never driven one, but that's just my 2 cents bro! The Sprint 2 is also a good drifter from what I know!

Good luck with your decision! :)

4. jenkins23

jenkins23 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Hey man I would have to agree with dribble on this one. I have the HPI e10 and its very easy to drift but!!!! You are limited to just drifting and don't have many tuning options. I would defiantly go with the HPI sprint 2 sport!! An I would go with the newest version, it's a black 69 ford mustang and it comes with a set of onroad and drift tires plus is ready to run(RTR) and not to mention it looks awesome. Like dribble said, parts are easier to get and they are quite durable and you have a lot more upgrade options with the HPI sprints. Just my opinion but I'd drift towards a HPI sprint.

5. Dreamer

Dreamer New Member

Thank you all for your quick replys :) dribbler the tamiyas that i was looking at are the tb02 and tb03 becouse those are belt drivin instead of shaft driven this is also why i will pass on the AE tc4 but thanks for the sugestion MrRcfanatic :). Jenkins23 iv looked into the sprint 2 sport but i like the flux better since it comes with a complete brushless setup and the esc is programable but that mustang body is really cool though :)

6. ScaleBasher

ScaleBasher Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Also another one to look at is the new one from Team Associated as part of their qualifier series its shaft driven which I like its rtr and brushless with a price tag of around $280

7. jenkins23

jenkins23 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

No matter what you get, all that matters is that you enjoy driving it. It your have fun then it doesn't matter what one you get. I hope we get to see some pics and or vids when you get your new drifter

8. Dreamer

Dreamer New Member

I will but it will probably be about another month or so before i have the money saved up what with bill and whatnot that have to be payed will post a link here when i have it. Iv made the decision to go with the hpi sprint 2 flux with the yellow camaro body. I would like to thank every one how comented and helped me make my final decision :)

9. ScaleBasher

ScaleBasher Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Cant wait to see you get your ride! I got very lucky today and picked up a Team Associated TC3 for $80 cash and traded him my Twin Hammers radio! Complete rolling chassis I just had to swap one control arm and tossing in the Castle Creations Sidewinder SV3 6900KV motor/ESC combo ($120 on Towerhobbies.com or Ebay) and gonna use my new radio Flysky FSGT3B ($40 at nitrorcx.com) and servo. Its got grip tires on it right now but I don't think the motor will even notice since its a 4 pole motor so tons of torque for an onroad/ drift car! Ill be starting up a thread real soon!

10. Dreamer

Dreamer New Member

Well im an impationt little basterd :p went to my local hobby shop twisted rc to order my new drift car ended up getting the hpi sprint 2 drift instead of the flux after talking to the owner for a while saved me a $100 and it will be here mid next week :) i was going to get the ken block jr mustang with the 2 sets of tires that jenkins23 sugested but it was on backorder for 2 months and i just couldnt wayt that long so once i get it ill post a link on this forum to the new one ill make about my first drift car :)

11. sid8

sid8 New Member

I have Phantom Nissan GT-R Style Electric Drift RC Car. but as you mention tamiya and hpi so I will say that you should go with hpi because it has new generation of 1/10 scale on road drift radio controlled cars.

12. Dreamer

Dreamer New Member

well iv had my hpi sprint 2 drift for about a week or so now and have probably run between 6-10 batterys through and so far have not had any problems with and of the belts braking.....yet im hopping they solved the belt issue with this newer version. But anyway i absolutly love the car its so easy to slide around and best of all it will slide on any sort of paved serfice from nice clean and smooth to rough and cracked....although that rough cracked pavement really did a number on my hard plastic tires anyone got any good recommendations on drift tires?? also does anyone know what size lipo batterys will fit in the sprint 2 i have a onyx 5000 mah 2c but it wont fit in the battery slot so im still running on the nickle metal that came with it. any tips and what not will be greatly appreciated :)

13. Dribble

Dribble Super Moderator

I had the older sprint 2. Purple one, had it for 2 years never broke a belt ever. As for lipo sorry can't help you there. Makes me think they changed stuff around because I never had a issue fitting a lipo in mine. Yes it was snug but they always fit. As for drift tires I buy all mine from R2hobbies.com. Cheap and work just as good as the HPI ones.

14. Dreamer

Dreamer New Member

what kind of motor and esc did you have in it? would like to put in something a bit fast so i can use it for dirt circle track racing as well as drifting but dont want to over stress the belts.

15. Dribble

Dribble Super Moderator

I would not suggest using the chassis for drifting and dirt racing. Your going to need to tune it each time to have it properly tuned. And if you put a front one way in it and lock the rear your not going to want to race on dirt with it which those are suggested for drift chassis. I think you will put to much strain on it. If you want dirt racing as well I would get a seperate chassis for that. Preferably a shaft driven chassis.

16. Dreamer

Dreamer New Member

Ya what I was going to was keep the non adjustable shocks for drifting and what not and then get the adjustable racing shocks for racing. Really the only drifting I would be doing is just sliding around outside the house and what not. It slides around pretty easily stock although the plastic tires are now completely bald after about 2 weeks of use. :p