1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best budget servo? Any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Newbie Q & A' started by Spence123, Apr 8, 2015.

1. Spence123

Spence123 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Hi all, I am not exactly up to spend $40 on a servo, would the towardpro mg996R be a good upgrade over the stocker in terms of torque even without an external BEC? I mean the stock servo that comes on my rig is way way way underpowered to turn the sticky pliable chisel 2.2" tires. I know savox makes great servos, but in general you get what you pay for. Let me know guys

Thanks,
    Spence

2. lout

lout Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    I think that all components like this can be summed up with the following statement:

Good, fast, cheep....... Pick two.

Now in the case of the servo in question. It has good torque and its cheep. But it isn't fast.

Now on a buggy this is going to be an issue, but in your case I very much doubt that you will have a problem. And I know that @Magnat007 runs one in his truck and he is very happy with it.

Munkycrack and drzoo2 like this.
  3. Spence123

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    so this servo is a winner? I should get it? I just need more torque, not looking for good speed here, as I am rock crawling

4. Spence123

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Are the tower pro servos fine? I mean cause I can't find the toward pro servos

5. Antho11

Antho11 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    The Savox SC-0251 has 222oz of torque at 6v. I use the same servo for my Savage's steering and I find its sufficient for it, so since your rig is a 1/10 it should have plenty of torque to turn the wheels easily.

6. Spence123

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    So, will I notice a tremendous difference in steering vs the stock tactic tsx45 servo? I mean it looks like the savox has one plastic gear in it like my old servo, I looked at the gear sets on ebay. Thanks

#6 Spence123, Apr 8, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2015
  7. lout

lout Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    The Savox sc-0251 is a great servo and it's all metal, but I think it's out of your mentioned price budget.

For the amount of money you want to spend I think that the towerpro would be suitable replacement for you

8. Spence123

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    #8 Spence123, Apr 8, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2015
  9. 00whynot

00whynot Moderator
    Staff Member MODERATOR

Media:
    I had a bad experience with the first and only mg996r i ever used.
    I will say i have had great luck with these tho. there even sealed with orings and such. although not advertised as waterproof they hold up to it.

https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idproduct=9617
    using it in 6 diferent trucks now. be a little slow if your racing. but its strong.

10. Spence123

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
  11. Antho11

Antho11 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    The Savox is around $40-50 depending what site.

12. Spence123

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    So for sure that savox sc-0251 will totally deliver way more torque than the stock servo? And that will likely be the last servo I will have to buy for this truck?

13. 68camaro

68camaro Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

spence. The servo wont last forever. It will probably break at some point. It just depends how you drive and how you take care of it. Instead of just asking us if it has more torque, do your own research.

14. Spence123

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Nothing lasts forever, its just that the torque specs look very alike to my stock servo, I will get the tower pro and see how it goes

15. Magnat007

Magnat007 Proud SCX10 Owner
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Spence.... Are you competing ?? No...
    Do you have bucket loads to spend on a Servo ?? No

The Choices you have are limited on your budget...
    Whilst I have had NO issues with a MG996R... They are a mass produced Servo that are hit and miss.. Some are good and some are lemons off the production line (sadly 00whynot got a dud)

The MG996R is a recommended servo for those who are not serious about competing and just want to get their rig back up and running.. Great in an SCX10... but not for a Comp rock crawler.
    The Price you pay for them indicates they are not built to the same level as a SAVOX.

With EVERY RC product on the planet you are going to get mixed reviews... Some people have great times... others get lemons and report the product as being bad... ( The HPI E10 comes to mind in this instance where mine gave me nothing but trouble and others are running brushless in theirs)

In the end you have to take the dive.. make the choice and do what the rest of us do.... Risk it.
    I could throw you half a dozen servo's I have used in the past .. Some well known, some not so well known... and some that were complete garbage but had a good reputation.

What your looking for in a servo is the kg/cm at 4.8v.. ignore the 6V reading as you are not running an External BEC.

The Higher the number... the stronger it will be..
    If it was up to me... the servo 00whynot recommended would be worth a try.... 15.5kg per cm is some serious grunt... it leaves the MG996R for dead (MG996R is rated at 9kg at 4.8v and 15 kg at 6v and as I have said before great for an SCX10, not for a competition crawler )

For the record... this is the servo I run now..
    http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__28972__HobbyKing_8482_High_Torque_Servo_MG_BB_W_Proof_58g_12_8kg_0_22s.html?strSearch=Waterproof servo
    Its been going great.. Its been abused... has enough grunt to pull the scx10 out of a bind.. Awesome servo but probably a bit weak for what you require Spence...

My Trailing mate runs a Bluebird 630MG
    http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__8739__BMS_630MG_Super_Strong_Servo_13kg_17sec_49g.html?strSearch=BMS 630MG
    He is happy with it and has now gone through 2 of them. (For the record his Bluebird burned out before my MG996R did lol but we abused the crap out of them and 4 years was a good run )

16. Spence123

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    so that hobbyking servo is a good servo, the issue is, they are pending in transit to a U.S warehouse, i will wait for it to pend. Does that HK servo that you are running now have lots of torque? You said its a bit weak, I am doing crawling, which requires some pretty serious torque. What servo would you say then is good for under $40? So should I try the servo that 00whynot recommended?

#16 Spence123, Apr 9, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2015
  17. Magnat007

Magnat007 Proud SCX10 Owner
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Go with the servo 00Whynot recommended.. Good things come to those who wait.. So wait.

18. Seamus_RBNW

Seamus_RBNW RudeBoyz NorthWest
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    when not running my savox 0231 waterproof metal gear servo I use these:
    http://www.hobbypartz.com/60gexidise.html
    it has .15 vs .17 second speed and 180.5oz inches of torque vs 208...
    biggest difference is the 15$US price on the EXI brand and the fact it is not waterproof. it is digital, coreless, metal geared and has actual bearings.... I have this servo in my Tamiya grasshopper, hornet, super hotshot, cc-01(s), midnight pumpkin, hpi sprint 2, RC4WD Trailfinder 2, and a kyosho sand master...

Munkycrack likes this.
  19. Munkycrack

Munkycrack Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    I picked up the savox servo but haven't ran it yet. Waiting for my hs645mg to break because I just replaced the gears in it for the second time. If your hard on your rigs I'd recomended picking up an extra set of gears for a just in case oopsie but like what's been said you get what you paid for and ya pay when ya play hard. Lol. I know I do!

Seamus_RBNW likes this.
  20. ausky5

ausky5 New Member

Im looking for a super strong metal gear servo but i dont want to pay 150 bucks for one

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk