1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best Gas Powered 1/5 scale vehicle?

Discussion in 'Newbie Q & A' started by PRCCustoms, Nov 12, 2013.

1. PRCCustoms

PRCCustoms New Member

The title says it all. I am looking for a 1/5 scale RC, and I was looking at the Redcat Rampage Chimera. If you guys think that there is something better, That's NOT OVER 1500 Dollars, (Unless you can find it cheap on Ebay or Craigslist, or here if a non elite member can buy stuff.) Thanks!

Phoenix RC Customs:haveaniceday:

2. domindart

domindart Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Losi 5T!........

3. PRCCustoms

PRCCustoms New Member

Yeah! Haha, I was looking at that one too, but it's pretty expensive... o_O

4. domindart

domindart Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Yeah, its pretty awesome

5. MOBY

MOBY New Member

hpi baja , FG or rovan . for second hand u can look for hormann or elcon both company's are making famous competition cars in europe . the last 2 cars are very expensive but good cars , i would advise not to buy cheap chinees stuff cos they break down very easy (to hard plastic) . But if you think buying a bigscale is expensive you should think about it again cos when i had bigscale i had (summer) months where i spent easy 500+ euro in a month .

HPI Racing - Radio Control Monster Trucks, Nitro RC Cars, R/C Option Parts and Accessories
    FG Modellsport GmbH - RC Cars 1:5 - Worldwide
    Rovan Sport Baja Buggy HPI Compatible
    H?rmann Modelltechnik
    Elcon Models

6. mickyd213

mickyd213 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

I really only know of 3...
    1. Losi 5T... Seen medic's video series on his rebuild... looks to be a very durable car ( 4wd as well)
    2. HPI Baja 5T, 5B, 5SC and 5B-SS... I got the SS only coz I like to build stuff... Great car and lots of fun...
    3. Rovan... A carbon copy of the HPI Baja... But I have heard of small problems with them. Still about half the price of a HPI.

Remember that you get what you pay for... (Just my opinion)

7. Crankbait

Crankbait Think...
    ELiTE MEMBER

Baja gets my vote.

8. supersavage

supersavage Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

There's also MCD but these are really expensive.

IMO you can't run a large scale on a bugdet belive me I've tried.

spawn likes this.
  9. PRCCustoms

PRCCustoms New Member

Why can't you?

10. Crankbait

Crankbait Think...
    ELiTE MEMBER

In stock form maybe.

If you set your budget high then your good, but
    simply put the parts are a lot higher than say 1/10 scale.
    Also depending on what you get the initial purchase price is higher.

A "highly" hopped up SCX10 is going to be around 1000 to 2000.00 (yes I know this can be much higher or lower it's just an example).
    My Baja 5T has easily over 3500 in it and it isn't even at the top of the scale.

spawn likes this.
  11. cbaker65

cbaker65 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

I do!
    I have a Rovan,an still have a bran new set of RPM a-arms in a package.
    The only issue is the plastic parts are fragile,which can be replaced with RPM's or aluminum aftermarket parts.
    They can be had on auction at a pretty descent price on ebay.
    An it all depends on how ruff you drive...

12. RCADDICT99

RCADDICT99 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

I just got a upgraded Baja 5t with tons of extra parts and extra sets of wheels/tires in trade for my slash 4x4 and a redbull mini fridge I found on a sidewalk walking home from school and it's SUPER FUN, ive been RCing for awhile now and it's difficult for me to drive (probably cuz it's 2wd) but yeah. U can probably get a somewhat upgraded one used for about $700 then add a killwitch if it doesn't have one then your set under $1000

13. CraftWerksRC

CraftWerksRC New Member

Do you want to bash with it or hit the track and be competitive?

14. babyishcare

babyishcare New Member

Powered by Traxxas's proven and reliable TRX 2.5 racing engine and a new, fast electric starting system, the T-Maxx sets the bar for all other RC monster trucks. Traxxas is one of the industry's leaders and offers consistently high quality, a great warranty, and excellent customer service. It's a big plus because you'll know that your purchase will offer high value and good reliability.
    read more about Radio Control Monster Trucks....

15. Spence123

Spence123 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    I would say IMO I have had my share of gas rc's, not many can afford the genuine 5b or 5t's and I sold my summit and rustler vxl and I bought a rovan 5b clone for $500 and then sold it for $180 after less than a year, the thing fell apart piece by piece. I replaced 2 pull starters, 1 engine, and the rear tires went bad, plus they are slow... Well I was broke back then, IMO an arrma kraton is more fun, quieter, (you can go to the beach, go to parks) and not piss off people... Really even if you get a genuine HPI baja, I am an electric rc guy, no mess, can be kept in the house... Not trying to bash gas powered rc, nitro is silly tho, nitro is $12 a quart! But gas powered rc's have their place, if you want to get into gas rc, make sure to get a killer rc kill switch and a nice radio to make sure nobody dies! But if you want gas, you need to either shell out the big bucks for a new HPI genuine baja or 5t or losi etc... Or find them used...

spawn likes this.
  16. spawn

spawn Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    stay a way from roven junk i am building new motor for friend about 10 tanks of fuel then blown motor and he has about 1500 in it becouse of upgraden broken parts pos . go losi or hpi