1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best rock crawler (RTR) to get?

Discussion in 'Newbie Q & A' started by Lilmoose, May 1, 2013.

1. Lilmoose

Lilmoose Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Hello I was wondering if some one could help me find a crawler for me to start out on haha. My price range is $400 max, 1/10. im just looking for something simple not comp crawlers just for fun with some of my friends on the weekend :) . thanks!

2. Magnat007

Magnat007 Proud SCX10 Owner
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Need a Little more info champ.. Do you mean a Rock Crawler like :
    [​IMG]

Or do you mean a trail truck like
    [​IMG]

Before we offer advice we need to be sure what you wish to do ..
    A Rock Crawler is great at conquering rocks, but doesn't go so well as a trail rig..
    A Trail rig has a lower centre of gravity and is faster.. Usually handles better in mud and unstable ground..

3. jaloos

jaloos Mod, Staff Member and Ghetto Fabricator

Media:
    Sounds like a good place for an Axial Wraith. It can do a little bit of everything well.

4. Lilmoose

ELiTE MEMBER

Hey :) im looking at a rock crawler I forgot to say that haha and I need something to be able to get over the huge rocks.

#4 Lilmoose, May 1, 2013
    Last edited: May 1, 2013
  5. RC_Psycho

RC_Psycho Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Im a big fan of the Axial AX-10 scorpion its a great rig and easily upgradeable. but they are hard to find these days.. you could try the AX-10 Ridgecrest tho, I havent ran one yet so I cant give any POV on it.
    there is also the Losi Night Crawler I had one a while back and it worked really well on the rocks and the worm gear in the axles keeps it from rolling down any rocks lol

just my suggestions tho :D

6. jaloos

Media:
    Oh I see.

Well since you want to mess around with your buddies what do they have?

7. Lilmoose

ELiTE MEMBER

well sadly none of them have crawlers YET haha but they are getting some soon a lot of my friends have 1/16 E-revos, Stampede's losi 8t 2.0 E conversion etc... so im kinda a lone wolf when it comes to rock crawling :tttt: . but id still like to try it.

8. jaloos

Media:
    Well first off I would decide if I really want to be the lone wolf playing on the rocks all by myself.

And once again it boils down to what you want. If you want a serious rock crawler then a motor on axle is what you want. There are not that many left in retail sales, used you can find them but people know now what they are worth. There is the Bully by rc4wd and redcat makes one still. You may even get lucky and find an Axial XR10 or a Berg.

If you want something that is in the intermediate range and can crawl and do trail driving on different terrains the Axial ridgecrest or Axial wraith is always a good bet. They will crawl decent (not at comp levels but decent) and will still be able to mess around on different terrain.

9. Lilmoose

ELiTE MEMBER

alright :) thank you

#9 Lilmoose, May 1, 2013
    Last edited: May 1, 2013
  10. jaloos

Media:
    Certainly don,t make any decisions purely on my recommendations. Do some research and look around.

11. rowdy3128

rowdy3128 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    if yor new to RCs get a RTR if you know your way around a truck get a kit.......I've had both some parts are real small but if you build it you know how to work with/on it........as for witch rock crawler ???? I want my first one too........

12. Lilmoose

ELiTE MEMBER

Hello. I actually never thought of getting a kit! I might look into that :) thanks

13. Lilmoose

ELiTE MEMBER

I think I might do a little more research into trail trucks they seem interesting. again thankyou for your help :)

14. Determined06

Determined06 New Member

cool thing about axial rigs like the scx10 trail trucks and the ax10 is they use a lot of the same parts. so if you buy one and find out it isnt working the best for what you are doing buy the opposite chassis and most of the parts will bolt right up. transmission is the same. axles are the same. shocks may be different because of length. skid plates are different. but its all available and you can have the best of both worlds really.

15. dirtsquirrel

dirtsquirrel New Member

i use the axial scx10 rtr i bought it a year ago and have yet to brake something. just waterproof and go man and theres tons of upgrades out there for it. but check out the the new deadbolt from axial its a rtr for a good price

16. Lilmoose

ELiTE MEMBER

hey guys thanks for the help! I've been a proud owner of a Scx10 honcho for about 6 months now haha thank you all again for all the help!!

17. JAYDEN1999

JAYDEN1999 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

I have a losi night crawler rtr and I think it is a more than capable rock crawler

It is very affordable and is in your price range

It is also a very very tough truck that can take more than a few falls

Hope this helped

18. LNC-DodgeRC

LNC-DodgeRC New Member

I have to agree, my first and only so far (working on acquring a SCX10) is a LNC (Losi Night Crawler), hence my name. It is pretty impressive lil' rock crawler! The best thing I love about it is the fact that there is no need to worry about drag brake (I won't lie I think I have a really good idea what this is but haven't really looked into it...lol), the worm gears are amazing. If you're not giving it any throttle it WILL NOT move on the rocks. Also if you really feel like you want to upgrade it, Losi Competition Crawler parts will fit stock and give the option of dig etc. Though I will say, I do not like the stock drive shafts the LNC comes with; they only allow for 7mm of travel...which isn't a whole lot. I made custom links for mine and the stock shafts kept grinding and adding a lot of problems I really didn't want. There are options to upgrade them with though, my favorite are the RC4WD punisher shafts. Anyways I believe I am ranting. Good luck to you!

19. JAYDEN1999

JAYDEN1999 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

I have not yet had any problems with the driveshafts

But otherwise it is an awesome truck

#19 JAYDEN1999, Dec 1, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2013
  20. TuDawgs

TuDawgs Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

My first Kit rig is the Trail finder 2...retail $399....RTR around $460...great trail rig, can handle some rocks and is upgradable....plus it's scale...great kit to build...and a blast to drive!!!