1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

blade balancer

Discussion in 'Blades & Mechanics' started by crawlerdave, May 31, 2013.

1. crawlerdave

crawlerdave Banned

can anyone recommend a good blade balancer for my copter ? thanks =)

2. kuskye25

kuskye25 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

any of the ones at amainhobbies or xheli...... what i do is use a long screw and two nuts... put the screw threw both blades, then tighten both nuts on the out side of the blades, then set it between two pieces of wood, take your time to make sure which blade is heavier....

once the heavy blade is determined use a good digital scale that goes down to .1 gram.... set each blade on separately and figure out how much more the heavier one weighs... we will say one ways 27.0grams and one weighs 27.3grams...

now you need to find your cg point, for this use your imagination i use a socket held by vise grips and teeter totter my blades on it till they stay perfectly balanced, then make a dot with a felt marker where the CG point is on both blades...

if both blades cg spot is the same then this is where youll be putting the tape on the blade that is .3 grams lighter...

what i do is get some tape and tear off a strip and weigh it till i get a strip that weighs what i need it to, in this case .3 grams... now put your tape in the cg spot on the lighter blade, your all done....

here are some vids, use your imagination you dont need to buy all the tools needed, you can use stuff in your house for most of it as i did, i did need to buy digital scales $20 at tobacco shops for scales...
    [video=youtube;gHi2Z2rb158]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHi2Z2rb158[/video]
    [video=youtube;G1mon1x_7Ow]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1mon1x_7Ow[/video]

#2 kuskye25, May 31, 2013
    Last edited: May 31, 2013
  3. crawlerdave

crawlerdave Banned

Thanks for sharing buddy, I kinda had the same idea but was unsure. My blades are 24" in length and carbon fiber and really didn't want to sand the weight to balance them. I'm in the process of rebuilding my 1/5 turbine copter that I crashed after sneezing (thankfully I was landing at the time.lol) and it landed on it's side and snapped the blades and bent the rotor head some. I have everything to fix it and want to make sure the blades are balanced to the tee. I use to give my blades to a friend to balance them for me but he has since passed on and now I'm left to do it myself. I'll try this with some smaller blades from a smaller copter first before I try it on my 1/5 scale. I just cannot believe I have never learned how to do this after all the copters I have had..lol. guess I relied on my friends too much for help..lol. Thanks for the help and Cheers

4. rcmaster

rcmaster Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

sorry about the buddy....

5. crawlerdave

crawlerdave Banned

No problem, he passed peacefully in his sleep. battled cancer for years , great fella to know and have as a friend. I'm sure he will be looking over me and my copter when I go fly it again.