1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Body sizes

Discussion in 'Crawler Build Projects' started by Gromit, May 7, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Gromit

Gromit Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Greetings, friends of the night!

Is it just me or is this bothering others, too? Forgive the following rant, but it seems I'm really a bit worked up about this.

I'm on the search for more realistic bodies for an SCX10 and a Temper, but find it extremely hard to say which body fits which chassis. Makers hardly ever give good data on their bodies, which I find annoying. It would be so much easier for them to just state four figures (how long, how wide, what wheelbase, which size tires fits perfectly) than for us to figure everything out. That would be so helpful and everyone could just measure their chassis and make up their minds whether or not the body fits or can be made to fit.

Instead I usually find something vague like "fits Whoever's WhicheverTruck", so I can Google how that truck's measurements compare to what I need. And even then I often find contraptions that are all wheels and shocks with an absurdly small body perched on top (which is probably the perfect high-performance rig to hammer around the quarry with, but from a scale-geek's perspective it just won't do).
    Or there is the equally vague "1/10 crawler". Primary school calculus reveals that the scx10 is not a 1/10 scale Land Rover or Jeep, but a 1/10 scale Unimog (and I'm not even talking about the dainty 401 but the mighty 435).

So please, manufacturers, make it a bit easier to get creative and state some helpful measurements of the parts you offer.

Fellow modellers, what are your thoughts about this?

#1 Gromit, May 7, 2017
    Last edited: May 7, 2017
    lout, darkside0914 and Antho11 like this.
  2. Antho11

Antho11 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Couldn't have said it better myself!

Gromit likes this.
  3. lout

lout Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Oh it is for this veery reason that I have now forsworn off RTR bodies.

1/10 is not 1/10 it's more like 1/12. t's also one of the reasons I don't like my trail truck. It's supposed to be a F150 Raptor, you know wide thing... but it looks more like a Ford Ranger, but it's is dwarfed by 1/10 D90's!! Go Figure.

I am now 1/8th scale and I will use what fits the model I'm building. SCX10 axles are pretty well on the money for most of my projects so far, and the tyres tuck under the body :). But I will use what I need to make fit.

I mean even RC4WD can't get it right. They're D90 is 1/10 and the Toyota FJ is more like 1/7 ish.

I know that proline to offer the specs of their bodies so you have some help as far as wheelbase and width length go.

The trouble is, is that to make it worthwhile investment to produce the bodies you have to make the wheelbase fit the available chassis. So ths means you either scale it up or down, or you do what they do in the drift / touring scene, stretch the wheelbase to ft the most common wheelbase and it what it is.

Gromit likes this.
  4. Gromit

ELiTE MEMBER

Thanks for your replys. I don't mind when manufacturers use the same chassis for different bodies (which according to the different size of the real things result in different scales). Just don't call 1/10 what isn't.

There is nothing wrong with manufacturers to make bodies fitting the more widely used chassis types & sizes. That gives most of us more choices and helps everyone. Myself I'm not looking for a body fitting some exotic oddball, but the good old SCX10.

After checking out some of your builds, I feel very tempted to take up body-building and scratch something. I've had enough experience scratch-building ships and static models to feel confident to build something that looks the part, I'm just not experienced in crawling and I'm afraid it will end up too heavy or fragile. Another "problem" is that of choice. In the time it takes to work one project out, seventeen new ideas come up and I don't know which one to go for.

5. lout

lout Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Oh you speak the truth there. Sooo many projects and ideas.

The weight of the body can be offset by battery placement. And it's an overrated thing too. I have a truck which I thought was heavy at 3kgs and then I find others are pushing double that!!

The fragile side of things is a concern to me, but I'm thinking that I'm going to start driving as if it's a 1:1 and. It bashing it which I would be more inclined to do since I made it myself rather than a bouncy lexan body

Gromit likes this.
  6. lout

lout Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    If you enjoy build just go for it :)

Gromit likes this.
  7. Gromit

ELiTE MEMBER

Thanks for the encouragement. My thoughts are condensing around one idea and if I look at the bare Chassis now, my mental eye can already see an AEC Matador.

lout likes this.
  8. lout

lout Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Just looked that up.. heck yeah. Go for it!!

For those who are unsure, here's a couple of pics stolen off the interwebs

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Gromit likes this.
  9. Gromit

ELiTE MEMBER

Yep, that's the one.

I had some fun today with scissors and glue, to tweak the proportions a bit. So it won't be a true scale model, but rather a mash-up from AEC Matador and Bedford QL ingredients, with a bit of Preston's sheep-truck from "A Close Shave" thrown in.

[​IMG]
    About as convincing as a boy with a printed and cut-out tiger's face strapped in front of his own, but i like it already

[​IMG]
    Things start to fit together. Time to do the same thing in wood and plastic.

#9 Gromit, May 25, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2017
    lout likes this.