1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Boing's RC10T4.1 Finally Running???

Discussion in 'RC Car Photos' started by Boing, Nov 5, 2014.

1. Boing

Boing Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

That's right folk's, it's finally running!!!

For those of you that don't know why I'm so excited...
    I tried building a T4.1 intended for on-road. I've been trying to get this thing running since before I joined RCSparks.
    See Here... http://www.rcsparks.com/forum/introduce-yourself/33810-introducing-my-team.html

All I have to say is... "So, the Castle Sidewinder 3 ESC... Uhh... Well... The 7700kv Mamba motor is awesome".
    I'll admit I put my T4.1 on hold for my most recent project.
    See Here... http://www.rcsparks.com/forum/crawler-build-projects/34561-boings-monster-deadbolt-build.html

Anyways, I decided to focus on tinkering with my T4.1 today and finally get it running. And let me tell you... Boy did it RUN!!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This was its very first run/test and this thing Hauls Balls!!! I still need to tune it just right. Yet that's to be expected. However, just look at the tires after its FIRST and ONLY Run!!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Granted, they are just the stock tires it came with... But they were Brand New, unused Tires!!!

Check out all the road dirt, and I can only assume tire rubber dust, that ended up on the side of the body.
    [​IMG]

Anyways, thought I'd share the excitement.

#1 Boing, Nov 5, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2014
  2. rcnut'14

rcnut'14 certified rc addict
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    I like how u have a skirt on the body. it looks like an on-road car

3. Boing

ELiTE MEMBER

Thanks. I just cut it that way. Leaving a bunch of the extra plastic still on it, plus cutting out the back window and a hole in the hood to improve air-flow. Both under and through the car.
    The way it ended up looking was just an added bonus.

4. Antho11

Antho11 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    I've never seen front tires on a 2wd get worn like that! You know what burnt rubber means, POWER! The first run is always scary you never know what's going to happen.

5. Boing

ELiTE MEMBER

Neither have I. I've never burned through a set of tires (front or rear) in one run before.
    I'm stoked about the amount of Power this thing has. Yet I'm going to be bummed if I have to buy a new set of tires every time I run it. That's going to get expensive.

6. rcnut'14

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    was it doing a lot of burnouts? or is that just from speed?

7. Boing

ELiTE MEMBER

#7 Boing, Nov 6, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2014
  8. Boing

ELiTE MEMBER

Well with as much fun as I had with it Yesterday...
    I ran it again!!!

Without changing the tires (because I can't afford another set at the moment) this thing was a Drifting Beast! With the tires as bald as they were, there was no way I could hold a smooth turn.
    Check out the tires now after only the Second run its ever had.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This time the tires are toast due to Drifting and Burnouts...
    Because I couldn't do anything else. Hahaha.

#8 Boing, Nov 6, 2014
  9. rcnut'14

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    hey, I would buy those tires if u want to sell them. they would be great road tires for my evader

10. Boing

ELiTE MEMBER

Well I probably won't be selling this particular set. I'm having way too much fun just burning through them.
    However, if I end up taking this thing to any local races, I'll be going through plenty of tires. So I'll keep that in mind.

#10 Boing, Nov 6, 2014
  11. Y2daT

Y2daT Over Powered RC
    ELiTE MEMBER

road hawgs. I've got a t3 with sv3 and 7700kv a beast on 2s

12. Boing

ELiTE MEMBER

Haven't tried those tires yet. Seen them at my Local Hobby Shop.
    I run the Speed Hawgs on my old RC10T (when I run it on street) and they've been awesome.
    I may be picking up a set of the Road Hawgs for the RC10T4.1 now. Got nothing against trying them.
    Thanks for the suggestion.

One of these days I'll start play'n with Lipo's... For now, I'll just stick to what I grew up on... Good ol' NiMH.
    This thing is running TWO 6c 7.4v NiMH batteries. 2000mah each.

#12 Boing, Nov 6, 2014
  13. Y2daT

Y2daT Over Powered RC
    ELiTE MEMBER

cool the road hawgs are great for street running. if u put a couple wraps of extreme packing tape around the tire foams when u put the tires together it will help keep them from swelling up at high speed.

14. Boing

ELiTE MEMBER

Also, a good call with the packing tape. I did notice a "Rubber Flapping" type sound when it hit Top Speed. I assumed it was the tires expanding. I'll have to try that when I pick up some Road Hawgs. Thanks again.

15. Y2daT

Y2daT Over Powered RC
    ELiTE MEMBER

remember to use the extreme 3M Scotch Extreme Application Packaging Tape - Walmart.com... i had two wraps of reg packing tape that held for 10 minutes or so :) lol . it really made a big difference . ( also closed cell foam will not expand as much as most open cell foams. like prolines new pro foams )
    also some guys turn the tires inside out and tape the tires instead of taping the foams .
    for max speed runs most guys use foam tires but they will wear quickly on the street.

16. Boing

ELiTE MEMBER

I'll definitely keep that in mind.
    I've also heard of "spider wire" for tires. Basically it's tiny wires (almost fishing line) that fit between the treads of the tires to keep them from expanding. You have any experience with that???

17. Y2daT

Y2daT Over Powered RC
    ELiTE MEMBER

no I don't

18. Boing

ELiTE MEMBER

Has anyone out there heard of "spider wire"???

I've heard it mentioned on YouTube videos in the past, and I think even once before on RC Adventures. I'm just curious if its something that can be purchased, and if so, where??? Or, is it something that has to be made??? If so, what type of wire is suggested???

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

19. Y2daT

Y2daT Over Powered RC
    ELiTE MEMBER

I've recently watched a few. videos where Kevlar thread and instaflex ca is used inside the tires and read where it was used on the outside of pre mounted tires.
    but proline has a new street fighter tire with built in anti swelling. as well as some hpi tires labeled as radial.

20. Boing

ELiTE MEMBER

Sorry it's been a while since any updates...

So I figured out what to do about the Tire expanding issue...
    1/8th Scale Foamies
    [​IMG]
    That fixed it. Now this thing runs smooth as silk. A little bumpy on the turns because of how much those front tires grip. Also had to upgrade the Steering Knuckles to run 12mm hex instead of the front wheels with bearings in them. Same goes for the rear output axles. Originally it ran the old pin hub style wheels. Keep in mind, the RC10T4.1 came out in 2010. So it's kinda old. However, the T4.3 came out in 2017. So I just used the aluminum upgrades for that in order to convert everything to 12mm hex.
    [​IMG]
    Finally clocked it as well... 50.3 mph!!!
    Now that may not seem like much but remember, I'm still running NiMH batteries. I could only imagine what this would do with Lipo's in it.