1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Boing's SCX10 Gasser

Discussion in 'ON Road Build Projects' started by Boing, Dec 25, 2018.

1. Boing

Boing Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Hey Everyone,

Have you ever been randomly inspired to build an RC mainly just because you never really see it???

Well that was the inspiration behind this build. I have always been a fan of Hot Rods, American Classics, Old-School drag racing, etc... and that's when it hit me... You never really see "Old Gasser Style" RC Cars.
    So that was it, I was going to build one. After looking into it, there have been a few made. In fact, there's a really nice Green Ford Falcon Gasser RC on YouTube. And yes, I know about Traxxas' vein attempt at a Gasser with it's 2wd Slash Blasphemi knock-off. I will say it's a cool little drag car and a great way to get into RC Drag racing, but a "Gasser" IT IS NOT. You wanna see a serious Gasser RC, check out the little Green Ford Falcon on YouTube.

Let me explain, a TRUE Gasser is a classic style, rear wheel drive, front leaf-sprung, straight axle (front and rear), handles like a shopping cart, Over-powered piece of WHEELIE POP'N GLORY!!!!
    **can ya tell I'm passionate about it** Hahahaha

That being said... Here is my attempt at an RC Gasser...
    A Two wheel drive Axial SCX10 powered by the all the Electronics out of the 1/8th Traxxas Funny Car...
    (Insert "Maniacal Laugh" Here)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And here is that "WHEELIE POP'N GLORY" I was talking about...
    [​IMG]

Plus, see it in a YouTube video of the Parade from AxialFest 2018... (bad quality screenshot)
    [​IMG]

Hope ya guys like it, and if you saw it (or me) at AxialFest 2018...
    I look forward to seeing ya at Axialfest 2019

Antho11 likes this.
  2. walter

walter Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

thats cool

Boing likes this.
  3. MasteroFlego

MasteroFlego Member

How did you do the front "axle"?

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

4. Boing

Boing Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

It took some do'n, a little drill'n and a little dremel'n. Hahaha

Well to start, the axle is an RC4WD Front axle for 1/14 semi-trucks and the leaf springs are for an RC4WD Trail Finder 2. Luckily when you mount the springs on to the axle, the distance to the outer edge of the springs is the same as the inner distance of the SCX10 frame rails. So they tuck in nicely...
    [​IMG]

In order to make the steering work I needed to mount the servo on the chassis. However, almost every "chassis mounted servo mount" put the servo right at the very front end of the frame rails. Well I needed the end of the frame rails clear so I could mount the front end of the leaf springs. So after getting very tired of looking at different "C.M.S.M.'s", I decided to just modify one. I basically just pulled out the old Dremel and went to town. I cut the actual mounting points of the servo mount itself so I could push it further back in the frame rails. After that, drilled a couple holes in the frame rails so I could attach the rear end of the leaf springs. Fashioned a little link to hook up the steering and Tah-Dah...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As you can see, the leaf springs have taken a beating. The way they're mounted in the front doesn't allow the pivot arms of the leaf springs to move freely like they should. Plus, popping insane wheelies everywhere doesn't help them either. However, it's the softness of the Trail finder springs that allows enough "give" in the suspension that it works out fine. Plus, as you can see... there is Zero weight in that front end.

Hopes that helps with whatever you're build'n.

Antho11 likes this.