1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brand new to big boy RC

Discussion in 'Newbie Q & A' started by Xenon, Dec 30, 2014.

1. Xenon

Xenon New Member

Hey guys,
    I'm looking into buying my first "big boys RC" always had the cheap K-mart rc cars and loved them but never had the money to go bigger and I'm just wondering what what buggy You guys recommend?

I'm going to bullet point what I think you would need to determine the best car here:
    • Good on sand (living on the west coast of Australia so sand is everywhere)
    • Good on grass (have a few parks here so may take them there)
    • Not bad a jumps, have a local salt lake where I can put together some little ramps
    • Readily Available parts (not off-brand Chinese)
    • Nitro (I like the idea of not worrying about my batteries being charged, I am aware some AA's are required but you can get them anywhere)
    • visible at a distance (my eyes aren't the best)
    • ~ $500 in value, this can fluctuate (up or down)
    • I don't mind the idea of a kit but would like something I can play with straight away
    • doesn't have to be super fast none of this 100mph or that Just want to bash in some fields and sand
    • water proof isn't a requirement as it probably rained 30 days this winter so it's reasonably dry here
    So it short, a bash car that's not too quick, about 500$ and parts are easy to find that can cope in west australia

2. Spence123

Spence123 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Hmmm, let me think, traxxas erevo 1/8 mamba monster, 6s lipo compatible, does wheelies, standing backflips, blows up tires and driveshafts, (a used one of these will cost you about $500 if you look enough) or you can run it on 4s lipo to keep damage down great for sand as the 1/8 brushless system has great torque, and you can buy sandpaddles from pro line racing). nitro is trouble to tune and keep running, glow plugs are a consumable, and fuel is expensive, 1pint bottles are like $12 at your LHS. Nitro engines have to be rebuilt frequently, and rebuilds cost you $40+. Electric is clean, plug and play goodness! Buy a few batteries and you have to replace the batteries every once and a great while, electric only costs you your electrical bill, and the cost to replace broken parts or make upgrades. I have a traxxas rustler vxl, and what you would want to do with it, even on a 2s lipo out of the box it will go like 40mph, and on a 3cell, about 50mph with the stock gearing. Its about $322. The xl-5 you don't want as it is brushed and tops out at about at 20mph. Both are waterproof, but I don't recommend running them in salt water, or submerging them as the bearings seize up. You can put sand paddles on them and run em in the sand. Sorry if I overloaded you, just wanted to give you some suggestions :)

#2 Spence123, Dec 30, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2014
  3. Xenon

Xenon New Member

Hey Spence123, thanks for the reply.

If I was to buy this car what batteries/controller would you recommend ?
    EDITED: realised the 1/8 scale revo is nitro so batteries are not a issue.
    I kinda like the idea of tuning a nitro and rebuilding it, as I'm very mechanically minded and dad is a mechanic by trade and I basically using this as a excuse to spend more time with him as he works away.

#3 Xenon, Dec 30, 2014
  4. Spence123

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Nitro is very noisy. If you like the idea of nitro, maybe go the the traxxas revo. The reciever still has batteries that need to be charged, but not all the time. The erevo brushless edition comes as an rtr(meaning it comes with the truck, some spare parts, a transmitter, and the truck of course), and your choice of lipo batteries. It comes with nimh which are terrible for brushless use. You need a charger, and either two 2s lipos, or two 3s lipos. I would recommend purchasing 2 2935 2-3s lipo charger from traxxas. I would recommend getting the traxxas steel center cvd set, and traxxas summit axles. If you really like the revo, the only thing you will need is the recommended fuel for it. It comes with everything besides the fuel. I think 20% nitro traxxas fuel will work. If you want something else, go for the nitro rustler. I had a king motor 1/5 buggy(powered by a gas powered weed wacker engine, its a clone of the real hpi baja 5b lineup) it was about $500 new vs the genuine HPI baja stuff which was $1500. It went decently fast, but its more complicated as if you want more fun out of the box, you would want to change the clutch spring to make it engage the centripetal clutch(as found on a weedwhacker) engage later into the engines powerband to get brutal acceleration, and the rear tires. I did something wrong with it, I didn't really break in the engine right, it still sounded fine and had lots of compression. But with this truck, I broke 3 pull starter housings, two throttle servos, and broke an a arm in the front. King motor is a Chinese brand, but a half decent clone of the real one. Parts are pretty much identical to the real HPI, so I started replacing parts on it that broke with real HPI. Sorry to confuse you. Still not sure if in Australia, you may have different plugs than I have in the U.S, maybe you can buy adapters. I am happy to help. Pick one and I will help you to the best of my ability from there. :)

#4 Spence123, Dec 30, 2014
  5. Antho11

Antho11 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Firstly welcome to the forum! I would suggest either the Hpi Savage X 4.6 or the Savage XL, they fit your criterias. They're both nitro and are awesome rigs. I haven't had any major problems with them. They have great part support, customizability and are very durable. Nitro can be a pain some times but I find its worth it. If you have any questions just ask.

6. Spence123

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    I looked at the savage xl octane its above your price range about $869 U.S but is think Australian dollars are different than regular U.S dollars. Would suggest it over nitro, as once you get it broken in, it obtains the maintenance of a high performance weed wacker engine. But thee savage x 4.6 nitro is actually below your price range (as Antho11 recommended) If you want the xl octane, its gas not nitro powered, so it would be cheaper to run also, 1 gallon of fuel cost a little bit less than nitro mixed with the proper oil to gas ratio. Also without the nitro part, you don't have to order your gas (which costs more) But keep in mind, electric will allow you to drive in populated areas without waking up people, also in parks or beaches you could take an electric rc there with people there, just bring many battery packs with you. Sorry I forgot to welcome you to the forum! Welcome! This is a great hobby, but at times it can be disappointing, while you wait for parts if something breaks, but look on the bright side lol. I am not a pro, I guess everybody has better ideas than me eh :(

#6 Spence123, Dec 30, 2014
  7. Xenon

Xenon New Member

Thanks for the great reply guys, Unfortunately being in Australia makes everything cost alot more than it does in other country's even though the exchange is fairly close to 1:1. I'm also having trouble sourcing a Savage x 4.6 nitro from a Australia seller and I haven't really looked at the Savage XL as if it's out of price in USD I have no hope in AUD, I have looked on some Australian hobby sites and found a list of traxxas cars (This seems to be the brand you guys recommend) That are withing my price range:

• Traxxas 3707 Rustler VXL Black 2.4Ghz Brushless Stadium 1/10 Scale RC Truck (459$)
    • Traxxas 58034 Slash Pro Mark Jenkins 2.4Ghz 2WD 1/10 Scale RC Race Truck (353$)
    • Traxxas 37054 Rustler XL-5 Red 2.4Ghz Stadium 1/10 Scale RC Truck (318$)
    • Traxxas 3903 E-Maxx 2.4Ghz Electric 4WD Monster Truck 1/10 Scale RC (583$ slightly more but I can deal if it's a good car)
    • Traxxas 3602R Monster Mutt 27 Mhz Electric 2WD Monster Truck 1/10 Scale RC (299$ it looks like a dog, why not?)
    • Traxxas 36054 Stampede XL-5 White 2.4Ghz 2WD 1/10 Scale RC Monster Truck (318$)

I would also like to know what other brands I should be looking at

8. Spence123

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Most of those are brushed which are pretty slow. The emaxx and tmaxx suffer from chassis breakage, shock towers breaking, and shock shafts bending. The rustler vxl(I have one) is pretty stupid fast with wheelies on command even on a 2cell lipo. It has good tires out of the box, but they wear down quickly, especially the rears, they have a tiny pin step tread that just doesn't last. If you really want to go in the sand with the rustler vxl, I would recommend leaving the front tires stock(as they are ribbed and work well in sand and on loose surfaces) and purchasing these sand paws 2.8" tires for the rear: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pro-Line-Sa...Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2edb9b68e2. the truck is also pretty durable out of the box, the only thing you really have to worry about is breaking castor blocks, and in the cold as a warning the stock plastics get super brittle. I broke a rear bearing carrier in the cold and somehow I hit a bump just right and I bent both rear shock shafts. Also I would recommend getting these traxxas slash shafts for the rear of the rustler, they will fit, and the yokes are a little bit more heavy duty. They will need to be replaced every once and a while. http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Traxxas...arts_Accessories&hash=item5b016d5394#shpCntId. You will also need a traxxas 2935 2-3s lipo charger(basic takes about 5hrs to charger a 3300mah lipo) and a 2 cell lipo. To start you off I would recommend a traxxas 2cell 3300mah 7.4vl lipo pack.

A few other brands to look at, if you have heard of axial, The axial yeti or the axial exo terra buggy look great. Both are brushless. Both are 4wd. The exo terra is a full 4 wheels independent suspension vehicle. The issue with the exo terra is the fact that to access any of your electronics or even take out the battery, its a hassle. But people have both constantly complained about both of these. I think the traxxas rustler vxl is your best bet, because its pretty tough as nails out of the box, other than if you beat on it enough, you can eventually strip the stock plastic gear servo or break a castor block. I have never broken a castor block on it or stripped the stock 2075 plastic gear servo. One issue with any rc is if you crash them just right, you can pop off a shock cap and oil goes everywhere. I would recommend buying the aluminium upgrade caps from traxxas, as that cures that issue.

9. Xenon

Xenon New Member

thanks again Spence for coming to the rescue with awesome detailed reply's, I think the Rustler would be the car for me, but could you please explain the battery's to me please (like whats the difference between a 2cell and a 3cell other than one has a extra cell)

10. Spence123

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Just saying from this vid review, Jang from URC network broke a lot of parts on the emaxx. It would take a lot to fix. There are some aluminium and RPM plastic parts upgrades that can be done to this truck to make it more durable, but I think you want something that you shouldn't really have many issues out of the box with. The rustler vxl is pretty darn durable out of the box.

Well, a 7.4v 2 cell has less capacity, less power and less run time, but you can still pull wheelies in dirt out of the box with a 2 cell and go about 35-40mph. An 11.1v 3cell on the other hand has one extra cell, which adds some capacity, and the extra cell means more voltage. Also a 3 cell is like way too much power. I haven't tried one, but they can make tires explode and endless wheelies. My fav tire combo that i have been running have been for the last maybe year since I got my rustler vxl are the Pro line badlands 2.8" a full set. Once the lugs get worn in one direction, you just rotate the tires. The slash drive shafts will last longer and can stand up to a 3cell lipo. An issue that I found with my truck was the fact that on the slipper clutch shaft, there is a little pin that is inside the transmission case that will break under severe load. The way I fixed this was, by getting a small allen key that would fit tight in that little hole(of course take the whole rear case off and apart) and make sure it fits into the slot of the gear. If you have this issue, I can help. I will also be able to help with future upgrades if you like.

#10 Spence123, Dec 31, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2014
  11. Xenon

Xenon New Member

That's a great video showing how the E-maxx handles being abused (not very well), also learn't that the Rustler uses the same motor as the E-maxx would you recommend changing it to a brushless motor? and is there anything you wish you bought at the same time as the car so you could of used it straight of the bat?

Edit: Any thoughts on Cougar lipo's?

12. Spence123

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Those crashes weren't very extreme. I have crashed my rustler vxl off some pretty good jumps. No breakages. I mean are you sure so far you want the rustler vxl? I mean I don't want to drive you into a buy that you won't be happy with. The rustler vxl is a 1/10 brushless stadium truck. I haven't heard of cougar lipos, but SPC makes great packs, and traxxas is always predictable.Yes the titan 12t motor is the same that comes stock on both the emaxx and the rustler xl-5 brushed, but I would recommend buying the brushless version(the vxl rustler) because it is already brushless with the vxl-3s bl esc, the brushed setup you would have fun with, but the brushless is even more fun. Straight out of the bat, once you wear out the stock rear tires, if you like to run off road, I would recommend the pro line badlands 2.8" in the rear, and buy a pair of slash driveshafts. If you don't run them on pavement they last quite a while. I mean, the 3300mah 2s lipos from traxxas are about $29 U.S, but not sure about Australia dollars. They are a drop in fit plus you don't have to solder any connectors onto the battery(soldering traxxas connectors can be a pain). Its kind of a pain to measure the tray. I mean still nearly after a year of cycling these packs, I still get a pretty decent wheelie out of my rustler. I would recommend buying two. And two 2935 2-3s lipo chargers to get you started. If you don't mind waiting 5hrs a charge to run the rustler vxl. If you don't want to wait that long, something like the EZ peak plus from traxxas allows you to fast charge the lipo packs in maybe 1hr or two flat. You will likely need AU to U.S plug adapters, you may not

But at the moment, I live in a rocky area, and have been more into rock crawling, but where you live, something that is fast, and can go over jumps decently well, the rustler vxl sounds like a better fit

#12 Spence123, Dec 31, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2014
  13. Spence123

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Just saying Xenon, I know you may likely be busy, but have you partially decided yet?

14. Xenon

Xenon New Member

Hey Spence, been looking intro the rustler trying to find common issue's and things to change, also been researching how much replacement parts are and if I can find it in a kit or not, also being in Australia (hardest place to get RC stuff apparently. from what I've seen anyway) finding it quiet hard to find most of the brands you mention that are supplied in Australia (trying to cut down postage).

p.s: my glasses broke while writing this response so I'm guessing it's time for a new pair I'll just have to get the car in a month or 2 then I guess xD (not even joking)

15. Spence123

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    You can buy a rustler vxl or xl-5 as a roller(meaning it is a chassis with a arms and some parts, no electronics, I didn't buy my rustler vxl as a roller, still needs a body, wheels driveshafts, castor blocks, some additional hardware, a transmission, all of the electronics the body). The rustler xl-5(brushed) would still offer you some thrills, and maybe later you could upgrade to a budget brushless system. But the regular rustler (the xl-5) has all Phillips head hardware, and bushings instead of bearings, The transmission has full set of ball bearings though. Also it has the xl-5 esc and the titan 12t brushed motor, plus solid 1piece camber links. Other brands are like dromida, arma maybe might work. Dromida rc cars can be yours for as little as $100 U.S, but it would cost much more to get it there, plus they don't offer as much excitement as they are brushed. Sorry that's a bother for you not being able to find rc's in Australia. Stuff is pricey to ship there too. That is a little ironic that you broke your glasses lol. Hope you can find a new pair

#15 Spence123, Jan 2, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2015
  16. Xenon

Xenon New Member

Managed to fix them, the screw came out and I used my old bodged pair to find the screw and just put it back in (old pair is from when I was ~14 so no chance I'm going out in those :/)
    Thinking I might just save a little extra and get the VXL and 2 2cell lipos and 1 3 cell (if you say the 3 cell will be nuts I have to try it) so I get a decent play time (looking at ~$100 for a 2 cell over here which seems a little extreme since you said they're $29 In the states)

17. Spence123

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Well the rustler vxl, when I switched to it from my Hpi baja 5b 1/5 clone, the power to weight ratio on a 2cell was truly insane. Wheelies, and if you outright punch the throttle from a stop, it will just flip over the truck. I would recommend buying a pair of slash driveshafts as an HD backup set. Also, you may really like the pro-line badlands 2.8" so I may recommend buying just a rear set(the stock rears are the first to go bald) and I haven't ever thrown a 3s in the old rustler vxl, but I think it may be too much for it, the esc can handle a 3s but it will produce more heat. and a velineon esc cooling fan may be needed. That is a drop in upgrade. Well, you will have plenty of fun with a 2s 3300mah traxxas power cell lipo in this truck. The packs that I run in it(the same ones that i recommend are over 8 months old, and have many cycles on them, and still have some good kick left in them. Oh and get two 2935 basic chargers from traxxas(will charge 2-3s, only one at a time though. And get two 2s 3300mah traxxas lipos. Those will drop right into the truck, as they have the correct traxxas connector pre soldered on them. I am currently running the stock driveshafts on 2s, because the slash ones after a while of abuse got really rounded out. I'm 16 lol

18. Xenon

Xenon New Member

Finding a Traxxas lipo over here seems to be a no go, might ask my local hobby shop what they recommend and see if they would be able to get some in for a reasonable price, if I can't get quality batteries I might have to go gas power to save myself the hassle. I'm 19

looking at the axial wraith right now, what is your thoughts on it

#18 Xenon, Jan 2, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2015
  19. Spence123

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Well, I think you would have fun with gas power or nitro. I think you would like the HPI xl octane(2cycle gas) almost sub $1000. I just ran my rustler vxl about 5mins ago with the same setup that you would run, loads of fun, crazy speed(40mph thereabouts) and wheelies!!! But the thing about nitro is it is expensive I think 1qt was about $12. Also about electric, once you buy a few lipos, you will not have to pay any money except for your electrical bill. I could measure the battery tray on my rustler vxl and recommend an SPC racing lipo for you. Lipos are measured in mm, so I can use a digital dial caliper. Let me know what you want me to do. :)

20. Xenon

Xenon New Member

It would be awesome if you could tell the dimensions of the battery tray so I could find out what batteries will fit then look up some reviews for them to see if it's worth trying them out, the wraith is looking fairly appealing to me right now and seems to have alot of parts readily available, and have seen that medic likes them aswell (does this mean they are good he seems to abuse his toys), big tyres in my eyes means it wont get bogged as easy in the soft sand (it's literally beach sand everywhere, no mud here).