1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brand new to big boy RC

Discussion in 'Newbie Q & A' started by Xenon, Dec 30, 2014.

1. Spence123

Spence123 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Oh yes, I just got an ax 10 deadbolt from axial for christmas, its a crawler, and I have watched loads of Djmedics vids! I am a fan. The ax 10 deadbolt from axial is pretty much the same as the wraith, the chassis is different, but axles and clearance are about the same. Some stuff that people complain about out of the box with it are: the servo, and the plastic steering links, and the tires. My ax10 deadbolt I have had great fun with so far crawling in the woods. Since it is indeed a crawler, it doesn't go 40mph, it goes about 6mph. The ax 10 deadbolt looks like a bronco in orange. There are a few cost free mods that I have done to make it crawl better

#21 Spence123, Jan 2, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2015
  2. Spence123

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
  3. Xenon

Xenon New Member

Found a axial yeti to import into aus for $540 is this a good deal? or a axial SCX10 for $450. rustler for $540. kyosho drx ve $610 (probably wont get this one but heard it's good). anything you can add and I'll try find out how much it would cost me (prices include postage)

4. Spence123

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Well if you are looking for speed and durability, the rustler vxl has it. The yeti some people have not been happy about, its not as tough as some thought. The arma fury brushed is a good truck, 29mph with a brushed motor I have heard! Its a 1/10 short course truck, like a slash. you could get a slash or slash vxl. I like the brushless because its so darn fast. It depends on what you want to do with it. The scx10 is more of a trailing truck that can crawl decently well. You can't find the ax10 wraith or deadbolt, or even the ridgecrest? Crawlers don't go fast at all

5. Xenon

Xenon New Member

Not too worried about them going any faster than 30mph (50kmph) which is the speed limit in built up areas around here and trust me, the cops will do their best to give me a ticket.

6. Spence123

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    So which are you looking to do, crawling or high speed bashing/running? Cause I think the arma fury would be ok for you. http://www.arrma-rc.com/rc-cars/latest/fury/mega

I don't know much about this truck, but tires aren't so great out of the box

I don't think rc vehicles it matters how fast they go. Technically operating an rc is operating a motor vehicle without a license. But I haven't ever go thrown out of a park for doing speed runs at 40mph on a paved ring, so I think you maybe might be fine. I live in Connecticut, so I think it maybe might be different in Australia

#26 Spence123, Jan 2, 2015
  7. Xenon

Xenon New Member

I think to start with and learn my way around the RC (How to replace parts and whats what) I want something that has a fair few spares (I don't mind buying another car later on for what I want) so I'm thinking Axial SCX10

8. Spence123

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Well do you have your heart set on crawling/trailing? The scx10 is a great truck, but i am just asking. There is an scx10 deadbolt, the honcho, and the jeep.

9. Xenon

Xenon New Member

Been watching some videos on it and it looks kinda fun, Seen the Dingo and kinda gawking at it, like the idea of a kit aswell

10. Spence123

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    You like the idea of crawling/ trailing? So you want to buy the kit and all of the electronics, batteries and chargers to make it work? And build it? You can buy the wraith ax 10 as a kit

11. Xenon

Xenon New Member

I'll read more into after work tomorrow right now it's 3:26am and I got work at 11 so I'm going to head to sleep

12. Spence123

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Oh yeah, sorry time zone difference.

#32 Spence123, Jan 2, 2015
  13. Xenon

Xenon New Member

Hey spence, been a few days and I ended up going nitro, one of my mates has 2 cars that he doesn't use anymore and said I can have them both for $150aud and figured that I can go wrong with that (well aware of the risks with second hand nitro's) they are GV Dominator xp. I looked into these cars and for the reviews I found people say they are not bad cars for what they cost (at the time of posting $400 brand new) the ones I'm buying require a little work but he told me it's pretty much pull starts, When I get them I'll be taking the motor out and checking the Dif/s and transmission before even starting to run them, I'll try turning the motor over before buying them but TBH I'll probably get them anyway (don't mind putting a new motor in them that's my long term plan as it is) I'll make sure that the brakes work and that it's all well lubricated. the tires on the cars (from pictures) look alright, one of them still has the stock tires which look almost new (slightly used). New air filters and fuel systems are on order along side some Black pain and steel wool because no-one likes a scratched chassis (I know it will end up getting scratched again but I can dream) <--- changed my mind on this idea, steel wool and some 1200 grit wet&dry get that frame shiny.
    Hoping that the cars aren't too bad but don't mind doing some work on them at all since they will just be my learning cars that I'm probably gonna blow up anyway.

Let me know what you think, I know it's a complete u-turn from what we talked about but I think it's safer on my wallet until I can control the more expensive high speed cars a little better

Antho11 likes this.
  14. Spence123

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    I mean if you can get them for a decent price like that, hobby grade that needs some work, well thats good. It will teach you. I am not the nitro guru, so you may need to ask around. My very first hobby grade rc I really wanted nitro, but I got gas powered. This will take away from the plug'n play thing about electric rc's. Yes buying second hand nitro engines is risky, but I would take that risk, if the nitro isn't your thing, I think you could sell it. Was this helpful? I mean part of this hobby is also upgrading things that break too.

15. Xenon

Xenon New Member

Thats the thing, I think if I don't like nitro I could probably sell these cars for ~$250 each (running) according to my local classfields (ebay/gumtree) so it's a risk I'm willing to take although I'm not doing it to make money as I probably wont after what will be spent on parts, after looking into it a bit more I have found a few tutorials on fixing pull starts so hopefully thats a option if not, I'll try cutting a custom back plate then using a starter box (heard it the better option) trying to spend as little as possible is the general idea until I know what I want

16. Y2daT

Y2daT Over Powered RC
    ELiTE MEMBER

if you go nirto then traxxas is a great starter brand simply because of the easy start system ... makes getting them to run easy. other good well known brands are losi HPI .. and others . Lipo + brushless electric rigs are awesome as well. I would go visit your local hobby shops to see what brands they carry . this will narrow down your selection of rc brands to what you can get parts for . what ever you buy get some extra bearings for it as the beach sand will take its toll on the bearings rather quickly. make sure the air filter (on nitro models) is oiled well to keep sand out of the motor .

17. Xenon

Xenon New Member

Thanks for the reply Y2daT, My local hobby store only has 1 nitro car stocked and it's a VRX - 2 which from my understanding is a cheap Chinese brand (they want $380 for it RTR but I found it for $195 online) that breaks quiet often without much effort. Running motorbikes over here makes sure I am well aware of the effect of the damn sand, it gets in everything (if you get sand in your car sorry, WHEN you get sand in your car you tend to just get over it) I'm forever lubing wheel bearings and cleaning/lubing my chains, the worst part is the air filters since they are positioned under my tank which has to be removed to get to them. had a look online about the GV Dominator XP and parts seem to be fairly easy to find and in expensive.

18. Spence123

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    What Y2daT said about the EZ-start system with nitro traxxas vehicles makes it very very easy to start your truck if all is well with your motor. Just add fuel, and make sure the starter pack is charged, plug in press button and presto! Your motor should be running. Well, traxxas has always predictable quality, even though they are out of texas, everything is manufactured in china these days. But an rc brand that is designed and built in china is even worse. Do not buy an rc that is said to break often! I guess I am not the one to go to for nitro, as it seems you know already more than I do. Well, as I said nitro can be a frustration(so I have heard) and costs more to run. As the person stated above, Y2daT, you should really look around your local hobbyshop. Yes, sometimes even at my local hobby shop, stuff at times is a little bit over priced, but the convenience is sometimes worth it. You have researched, and you have a job and money flowing in, I don't have a job or my drivers license, or any money flowing in to fuel my hobby at the moment. Also buying secondhand nitro cars/engine is a risky deal. I think you should either see it running, or buy a new one and break it in yourself. I am not responsible for any disappointments/ nitro engine failures.

#38 Spence123, Jan 5, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2015
  19. Xenon

Xenon New Member

So I got the Cars today and they run the old 27mhz thingo, any recommendations on upgrading it? they came with a cutoff thing aswell (when it runs out of range) one is not a Dominator and I have no idea what it is but I measured for a pull start and it measured at 19.7mm (center of screw hole) and the other was about 18.4mm (center of screw holes), They look to be in pretty good condition the wheels all move nicely and the brakes work. not had them running yet but the motors have good compression, gonna get a glow igniter and some glow plugs (and fuel)

20. Spence123

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Thats good, hope you can get them started. Not sure if you need after run oil too. As I said you will hopefully have fun with the nitro once you get it running. Do you have the recommended fuel and glow plugs that go along with them? You could switch to a traxxas 2.4ghz TQI radio and receiver. Or nearly any 2.4ghz 2 channel radio and receiver. So the engines don't make any knocking noises when you turn them over, or like no radial play in the crankshaft?