1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Breaking in a brushed motor.

Discussion in 'Newbie Q & A' started by BenJohnson25, Aug 29, 2014.

1. BenJohnson25

BenJohnson25 New Member

Does it really matter if it's distilled water or not?

2. Monkeypiarat

Monkeypiarat Worlds formost authority on my own opinion
    ELiTE MEMBER

yes it must be distilled or purified water but distilled would be best,,,regular tap water has minerals , calcium ,fluoride in some places and bottled drinking water usually has minerals added for taste ,,,,when you put your motor under water to break it in if the water has minerals and general impurities and the like the electrical current has the effect of making mineral deposits and build up from the impurities. it is like the technique used in electroplating metal with chrome. gold,
    or when you powder coat with paint the paint has the opposite charge from the surface and is attracted to the surface for a stronger bond...... this is what I understand is the reason for distilled water.

3. BenJohnson25

BenJohnson25 New Member

Thank you I have purified water, but I'll go out and by distilled water.

4. Crankbait

Crankbait Think...
    ELiTE MEMBER

Don't use water at all, that's old tech that will only wear out the brushes prematurely.
    The correct way is-

*straight from Holmes Hobbies*
    Place the motor on a stable surface, or remove the pinion if motor is installed in a vehicle.
    Allow motor to spin with no load. Apply between 2.5 and 3 volts to your motor for three minutes with zero or six degrees timing.
    The brushes should be seated with at least 90% of the brush face touching the commutator.
    Motors slower than 1,000 RPM per volt may need more time.

5. 6677

6677 New Member

Distilled water does not conduct electricity. Its actually a myth that water is conductive, its the stuff in the water that conducts, and yeah there is a limited plating effect in non distilled water.

6. javi0sh

javi0sh New Member

So is the water method a bad way of doing a break in?

7. Monkeypiarat

Monkeypiarat Worlds formost authority on my own opinion
    ELiTE MEMBER

the only thing about water break in is when Crankbait stated above about the premature wear on the brushes I had never considered that .
    what I think it comes down to is what is in your best interest
    a few things that I would think about to determine what that is would be.
    is this the only motor you have or are going to have for a long time ,in this case I would not waste my resources.
    how important is it to break in the motor with a regular driving style and regular cleaning the motor will eventually break in.
    will you be using the motor to the end of its life. I have modded several rc's and now have several motors in new condition
    that I can break in when it is in my best interest. new is new and broken in is not new.
    is the motor an expensive motor? that you are want to take full advantage because of the cost.
    this is how I think for my opinion for a new people.
    if it is a generic can motor non rebuild able. then clean it with electrical contact cleaner and lube after cleaning and you will be fine with a natural break in .
    if it is a rebuild able motor if it wears prematurely you can rebuild it....
    if you have what is a good reason to you, to break in your motor ,,,, you want to learn/experiment first hand ,,,you want to see if if and how much difference it makes.. you are comp crawling and want every advantage. then go for it .
    part of the fun will be researching different methods and finding what is best for you,,, what is in your best interest is all that matters.

#7 Monkeypiarat, Oct 19, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2014
  8. javi0sh

javi0sh New Member

Thank you very much for putting it like that MONKEYPIARAT. That was really informative and kind of eye opening for me. I should take my best interest and do what I think is good for my driving style and use. I really appreciate you taking the time and replying this. I think I'll just do regular cleaning as needed very other run and see how long it last. This would be my second motor that I got for my G6 scx10. The first one was second hand and I wanted a new one soon after. So maybe I'll experiment with the old and run the new as is.