1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brushless motor stuttering need help

Discussion in 'General Electronics' started by Customracer14, Jun 17, 2016.

1. Customracer14

Customracer14 New Member

I have a custom rc with a brushless setup and 3s lipo and yesterday it started to stutter on throttle I have had it running fine in the past. When it is off the ground it runs just fine but as soon as I place ut down it starts stuttering and will not move please reply with any tips you have. It is a hobbywing esc and motor

timmie3 likes this.
  2. BenFink

BenFink Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Either something is wrong with your gearing or your drive shafts. Its also possible your tire isnt on tight enough

3. 00whynot

00whynot Moderator
    Staff Member MODERATOR

Media:
    Gear it down. its to high and you will definitely burn it out if you keep trying. You could tru setting the punch control to the lowest setting and the timing on the esc to low. but id still gear it down a little. [smaller pinion] if that dont solve it. its probably already burnt up. I notice it coggs even when off the ground. definitely geared to high.

BenFink likes this.
  4. Waylon Rochelle

Check your gearing in the trans. Or your slip clutch is to loose.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

5. mudholestomper

mudholestomper Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

That is definitely not the motor cogging - I'd suspect that there is something in the transmission/drivetrain that is damaged - the way it takes little tiny "hops" forward…like the power is very quickly alternating from making it all the way to the wheels, then suddenly disengaging somewhere between the motor and the wheels, then to the wheels, then not getting to the wheels, and so on and so forth

That type of "on then off" transmission of the power, combined with what sounds to me like metal scratching/grinding has all of the hallmarks of a gear that is missing some teeth trying to engage another gear

Does the transmission have a gear diff inside of it (or involved in the drivetrain in some way)? - a diff with a broken gear or an issue that is allowing the gears to separate from each other will commonly be able to use the inertia of the assembly to spin the wheels when the diff isn't under a load, but when you set the wheels on the ground, you are basically applying a force to the gears in the diff that attach to the driveshafts and the wheels - if any of the gears of the assembly is damaged, the motor will spin the gear that it drives, but because it then must engage every other gear in the diff for the motors rotation to be applied to the wheels - if any of the the gears in the diff don't properly engage (and stay engaged), your motors efforts will be lost inside the diff and simply won't be able to make it any further than the diff itself

If there isn't a gear diff involved, then it's a stripped gear in the transmission, a stripped or broken wheel and/or wheel hex, a broken driveshaft/yoke/dogbone/outdrive - lastly, it could be a severe bearing failure that is allowing some part in the drivetrain to move so badly that it is engaging and disengaging

Just my $.02

Sent from my latest, greatest, better-than-what-you've-got, Cupertino-based, handheld Apple supercomputer

6. scalemadness

scalemadness Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Pinion gear loose on motor shaft?

7. 00whynot

00whynot Moderator
    Staff Member MODERATOR

Media:
    Nope. I re watched the video. I'm still only seeing a bit of clogging. The motor vibrating the metal drivetrain is all I hear. I've got the same motor in a few trucks. And it has a very distinct noise when it cogs. But maybe I don't know anything. I could be wrong. I'm not there in person.

lout likes this.
  8. Magnat007

Magnat007 Proud SCX10 Owner
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    I am thinking possible diff issue.. It sounds like the motor is working just fine but when the vehicle is on the ground the power is not being transmitted to the wheels yet under no load... no issue..

@Customracer14 could you re- shoot a video possibly out doors and try again.. first with the motor from a stand still... then give it a push start and see if the motor does not pick up the power... This will elliminate cogging and possibly focus more on a gearing issue..

9. Goblintinker

Goblintinker Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Your tranny gears are tore up

10. timmie3

timmie3 New Member

Its your esc.
    Had the same problem. Changed the esc and the problem was over.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G928F met Tapatalk

11. timmie3

timmie3 New Member

Its your esc. I had the same problem

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G928F met Tapatalk