1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Building a "Chainsaw Motor" RC, anyone?

Discussion in 'RC Chat, Tutorials, Ideas, Requests, Etc' started by draco, May 30, 2013.

1. draco

draco Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Hello again my friends!

That's right, I am back with yet another thread for you to peep.

Okay,, my buddy is interested in building an RC, but with a twist. I have seen this done, but don't know how to go about it. He would like to build an RC with a CHAINSAW motor! lol, I know, I know, "What the heck"?!?!?! Anywho,, we are trying to figure out how we can make a gear-shifting system, for one.

So now we are looking for any advice to the gearheads out there. Anyone ever try to pull this off? In your eyes, can it be done? Any info on this brainfart of an idea? lol. Thanks All! Draco.:wut:

2. memphis m3z

memphis m3z Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Im guessing you are going to need a large scale truck maybe start about with a losi 5t or larger maybe but medics project large would be a good start for ideas and needs for this build. But I think it is absolutely possible and would be an awesome truck. Goof luck

3. prophet

prophet Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Whist i would'nt have the faintest idea where to start with a project like that, i'd be very interested in seeing it done! Sounds rather interesting! I've seen vid of a push lawn mower that was converted to an RC with a couple of wheelchair motors.

4. cavy4dayz

cavy4dayz Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Oh the question isn't can it be done lol for the world of rc is pretty well limitless the question is how lol first off you said changing gears so I'm guessing you already have a tranny because chain saw only have one gear and that WIDEOPEN clockwise lol or forward so what do you have for a tranny

5. draco

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Well cavy, It isn't actually me, it's my buddy that wants to do this. He was thinking of an idea along the lines of a gearing system that would be similar to that of a mountain bike! possibly being able to switch gears by a switch or switches on the radio. I'm still trying to think if it would be possible to do it or not, hence the topic here. Do you think it can be done?

6. rcmaster

rcmaster Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

the hardest part IS reverse

7. cavy4dayz

ELiTE MEMBER

you could use a the gearing of a bike by mounting the cog on your rear (is running 4wd you would have to use another cog on the rear and one one the front to run a chain to link the two). Then you;d have to mount the bike derailer so that it would be in the same postion it would be on the bike . I would use a 1/5th scal servo to control the tension wire that changes the gears. Sorry sounds more complicated with me explaining it

8. draco

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    thanks cavy! I even recommended a 1/5 scale to my pal. I figured it to be the most plausible way, and now that you have said this, I am getting a better idea of how to pull it off. Like master said, the hardest part will be to get functional reverse.

9. cavy4dayz

ELiTE MEMBER

in all honesty is reverse rly nnessary i run nitro and i have no reverse on anything. The thing I keep in mind while doing fab it a simple thing I call KISS Keep It Simple Stupid lol It helps me from not getting way off track and

10. draco

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Wow cavy,, we were just talking about that! Thank-You my friend! Nice to see we are on the same page as this makes it even MORE plausible. You should PM me,,, I saw where you are from. N.S. correct?

11. cavy4dayz

ELiTE MEMBER

pm sent and yes beautiful NS

12. MrRcFanatik

MrRcFanatik Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Well, I've never made a gas car before, but these guys have!! This is their first custom car, and now they are starting a company to make 1/3 scale rcs! (not the one in this video)

They used a pocket bike engine, so if they can do it, so can your friend!! I hope you will post a build thread when he starts making it?! :)

Custom Built R/C Trophy Truck - Project Mammuth Heaven & Hell - YouTube

13. rcmaster

rcmaster Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

14. pdx

pdx New Member

for the gearing system off of the motor, you could try a cone system. the red line in the drawing is a belt. the belt is moved by a mechanism like you'd see on a 10 speed bicycle. so in theory you could have a servo for the speed control. the throttle would give you the max speed at a given setting. reverse would be tough. perhaps take a transmission from an old riding lawn mower. good luck on your project.

[​IMG]

15. pdx

pdx New Member

just had a thought....

maybe get an old go-cart. place the chainsaw motor in it. the suspension, steering and everything is there. use a servo for the steering. just a thought.

16. draco

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    That actually isn't a bad idea pdx! It would give us more room to work with gearing and such,,,,

17. ScaleBasher

ScaleBasher Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Very interesting build you know one solution for getting reverse would be to simply use a cheap brushed motor/esc set it up on a spare channel when you need to back it up, its a simple cheap and easy enough solution.
    Just a quick suggestion for switching gears would be using a servo. Another way to go about making it a geared rc would be to get a childs 4wheeler with centrifugal clutch you may even get lucky enough to find one with reverse.