1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

building a super crawler need advise /help

Discussion in 'Comp Tires & Wheels' started by blueheeler, Jun 6, 2014.

1. blueheeler

blueheeler New Member

I'm leaning towards the super wedge chassis from billet works. Plus the body they sell.
    So based off this chassis I need a shopping list of parts. I need some good advise on parts.
    In red are items I'd appreciate some advise on quality parts. No budget restraints.

Billet works give some suggestions regarding parts but nothing too specific.....

Requires 16x Traxxas Revo Rod Ends, - these I can get locally
    4-4.5" Shocks and standoffs- Open to suggestions anyone?
    Billet talk about using Super Bully Axles on this chassis or can I use something else?
    Do they mean something like this? Super Bully Light Weight Axle with 65:1 Gearbox
    Electronics-
    I was thinking of getting 2 tekin fxr esc's would these be ok?
    Motor's
    Castle creations BEC CSE010000400
    Battery - I buy a battery from hobbyking which would be the easiest
    Servo's - I did see this futaba servo on Hobbyking your thoughts?Radio Control Planes, Helicopters, Cars, Boats, FPV and Quadcopters - Hobbyking?
    Wheels -
    Tires -

I'm waiting for the release of the new futaba 4px. I'll use this on my onroad cars as well as the new crawler.

2. jaloos

jaloos Mod, Staff Member and Ghetto Fabricator

Media:
    Yup the super bully axles are about all your going to find for it now.

Shocks I would recommend traxxas big bores

2 FXR would be excellent for this.

Servos I would recommend the Savox SA-1230SG Monster Torque Coreless Steel Gear Digital Servo times 2 as the super class runs rear steering.

Wheels and tires I am not sure of. Most wheels and tires I have seen on the customs are custom narrowed I think 45 series wheels and cut and shut custom made tires.

More Info Here.

#2 jaloos, Jun 6, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2014
  3. Y2daT

Y2daT Over Powered RC
    ELiTE MEMBER

check out holmes hobby esc and motors . they like tekin have a great reputation . Holmes Hobbies LLC the combo is 146.99 to 168.99 made in usa has no 540 motor limit 6S capable and beefy internal BEC and the motor can be custom wound to your specs when ordered. Holmes Hobbies LLC
    when you are battery shopping keep in mind with either set of esc's you will more amp out out than both esc's can draw at the same time . i would aim for a 250A continuous
    like this http://www.ebay.com/itm/111004891885?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT 6200mah at 50C this is way over kill at 400a continuous . but the high 5C charge rate means you can charge them at 40 amps ... that = fast charge times specs.http://www.viciousteknology.com/lipopower2s.html

#3 Y2daT, Jun 6, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2014
  4. jaloos

jaloos Mod, Staff Member and Ghetto Fabricator

Media:
    That battery is wayyyy tooo big.

You are trying to build an ultra light rig. The lightest weight possible with weight bias on the fron axle or at least as far forward as possible.

The battery needs to be of small enough size to fit on the front axle to keep low center of gravity and weight forward.

Same with the esc. You want something small and powerful. The tekin FXR is the perfect size for this. Some guys use Castle Sidewinder Micros as well. I have crawlers with bot fxr and micro sidewinders in them.

A good 45 turn motor will be have enough torque and some wheels speed.