1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OTHER Bully Driveshafts for rock racing?

Discussion in 'Scale Truck Chat' started by Leo_rcc, Nov 28, 2011.

1. Leo_rcc

Leo_rcc New Member

Hi all,

I'm looking at building a custom rig for rock racing/trail riding. I want to get some speed out of it but it needs to be sturdy enough to negotiate some obstacles along the way and climb a decent hill. I'm not looking at a pure crawler as I already have an AX10 for that.

So I was looking at some sturdy driveshaft that might be able to take the punishment and found these online:

[​IMG]
    Bully 2 Comp 2.2 Axle with Knuckles (Front) and Straight Axle Tube (Rear)

Does anyone here have experience with these? Would they be good for the application I've envisioned, which is a faster stonger MOA Wraith essentially?

2. Scott

Scott Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

These axles are more durable than Berg axles. But they are also incredibly heavy. The don't have a lot of steering out of the box but can be made to have a lot more steering with some grinding and shaving with a dremel or a mill.
    There is also a lightweight version of these available, as well as delrin rear axles tubes. Both save a bunch of weight.

3. CrawlHog

CrawlHog Banned

if your looking for speed forget it, they are great axles and are pretty much bullet proof but very heavy. i used them to build my bully comp crawler. but the gearing is real low, i did a scaler build with it also, you can see it in the scale build section, it looked cool but the perfomance was nothing compared to a real scaler

4. Scott

ELiTE MEMBER

There are 2 different gear sets available. A 65:1 and a 38.42:1 ratio. My super and 2.2 both have the 38.42:1 and with 35t motors had a ton of torque as well as a pretty decent speed. Yes, they are heavy, but with a couple of decent brushless motor's (since it will be for rock racing I would recommend that route), you won't have any problems.

#4 Scott, Nov 28, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2011
  5. Leo_rcc

Leo_rcc New Member

Brushless is indeed what I am looking at, some sturdy 4pole 540 size motors perhaps?

6. Scott

ELiTE MEMBER

540 size for sure. I don't think that a 550 size can will clear the links. I really do think the biggest thing you'll have to do will be to grind the knuckles and tubes to get a little bit more steering. Also, with it being set up for rock racing, you might have to play with the caster a little bit by playing around with link lengths in the front. All just a little trial and error to figure out what you like and want from it.

7. Leo_rcc

Leo_rcc New Member

I'm sure I'll figure the steering issues out. For me the main question is will they handle the power and the speed okay. I do not intend to take it easy with this rig once its ready to go.

8. Scott

ELiTE MEMBER

The Bully is one of the toughest sets of axles I have seen out of the box. There should be no issues with it that you wouldn't have run into a few times before with pretty much any other rig. My Bully 2.2 crawler used to move the rocks on course out of the way rather than go over them if they got in the way. A 7lb truck pushing a 15lb rock is pretty impressive.

9. Leo_rcc

Leo_rcc New Member

That it is indeed. Thank you for the info, I'll order the axles and start making a layout for it.