1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

buying the right rc

Discussion in 'Newbie Q & A' started by jayce, Dec 25, 2017.

1. jayce

jayce New Member

I have about 400 dollars saved and i was wondering what the best car to start out with was?

2. RustyWrench

RustyWrench ...I Always Edit...
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    That depends on what type or RC'ing you are wanting to do. Are you interested in racing? Short course, on road, buggy, truggy, dirt oval, rally car? Or maybe some crawling, scale trail, FoFF, or comps? Straight up bashing? Each genre dictates a different vehicle style. Once you know what you want your vehicle to do then we can offer you some suggestions.

Dean

3. jayce

jayce New Member

I want something like the rwd slash made by traxxas but it needs to be cheaper

4. RustyWrench

RustyWrench ...I Always Edit...
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    So your looking to Bash/Race? One of the first things I consider is parts support. There is nothing worse than choosing a knock off or discontinued vehicle to find out that the local hobby shop doesn't carry parts for it, and half the time the online support is either back ordered or it takes 3 weeks to get your parts.

If you want to stay in your budget and get a quality vehicle with good parts support like Traxxas, Associated, Losi ect. then maybe try looking for a good used vehicle. I would start my search at the local hobby shop, most hobby shops offer consignment sales on used vehicles. Also usually (not always) used vehicles come with some upgrades and spare parts.

Secondly things like Craigslist are another place to look for used vehicles (Be careful not everyone on CL is honest and I find in my area that most CL'ers want top $$$). Also there may be a FB RC swap and shop of something similar in your area that maybe a good resource.

If you decide to look at the possibility of used, make sure you bring someone that knows what issues to look for and never pay more than 75-80% of the cost new, for vehicles with no issues. Less for vehicles that need some sort of repair.

The other option is to save up afew more bucks and get the one you truly want. New in the box.

Do your research (YouTube is great for that) I personally stay away from heavily edited and monetized videos as far as reviews go. These are just my opinions/recommendations. Enjoy your search.

Dean

LoveStompers and walter like this.
  5. darkside0914

darkside0914 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    my 1st suggestion would be an ecx torment, about $160 new and comes ready to race with batteries and cheap charger, also has good parts support, at least on line and the factory upgrades are very good and low priced, it's not really fast out of the box but with a few upgrades can be, a brushless motor /esc, 3 cell lipo, and upgraded gears and axles will make it a real beast

Bluedually and RustyWrench like this.
  6. WallacEngineering

Media:
    Not sure if you have made your decision yet but here is my two cents on the subject...

Honestly if you have 400 dollars then how is the Slash a problem? The 2WD Slash models start around $200, that is half your budget, so you would still have money left over. Im quite puzzled by this.

Anyways, if you want a decent, cheap RC, then go with Maverick. Most reviews show them to be a bit more reliable and sturdy versus ECX or Redcat and other "Off-Brand" RCs. They have pretty decent 1/10 RC's available from Amain Hobbies starting in the $150 range. As a bonus, nearly all of the maverick vehicles come with 4WD at that same price, and moving upwards you can even get yourself a brushless 4X4 Maverick for around $225.

However, there are even cheaper Name Brand RCs you may be interested in. The Traxxas Bandit, the Aarma Granite, and the Aarma Voltage are all available from Amain for $140. There are toy-grade RCs out there that go for that price, so its really quite cheap. However, these are still 2WD vehicles.

Either way, I would suggest 4WD. Because 1/10 Scale vehicles have quite small tires (excluding stadium trucks, truggys, or monster trucks), they tend to have a more difficult time "Hooking Up". My very first Hobby-Grade RC was the super old-school Traxxas Bandit, and I mean the one that had the literal mechanical ESC. Even that thing on MiMh batteries was tough to control sometimes.

RWD handling does improve with scale. 1/8th scale vehicles are fairly decent at it and 1/5th scale vehicles are very good at it. The issue with these classes though, is they will blow your budget straight out of the water.

Oh, also check out SMC LiPos if you want cheap batteries that are actually of good quality. 2S 5400mAh 50C batteries cost just $27 at the time of this writing!

#6 WallacEngineering, Jan 25, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
  7. LoveStompers

LoveStompers Member

8. WallacEngineering

Media:
    Ya, Im aware, but its still considered to be an "off-brand" option.