1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Calling all drifters !! Need help for choosing a setup !!

Discussion in 'ON Road Build Projects' started by crazzybiker, Jan 2, 2014.

1. crazzybiker

crazzybiker New Member

Hey Guys and Gals,

I am looking to get into drifting. I am a total noob to when it comes to road cars and the drifting scene. I have do my fair share of research on chassis and how much I want to spend. I will be running in my basement (smooth concrete floors) for fun and may get out and do a drift comp for fun if edmonton ever has one. I have a narrowed it down to two chassis with a budget of $400 dollars to start.

1. MST MS-01D RTR

Really nice looking chassis, huge aftermarket and spare parts support, comes with a pre-painted tamiya body. Price $260-300
    2.3racing Sakura D3 CS Drift

Comes with everything to make it run, has the spur gear upgrade, and graphite chassis upgrade with aluminum arms. Price $350

So which do I choose ? Am I better off going with a 50/50 setup or should I bite the bullit and get the CS setup ? Or should I just wait a week and get both setups ? haha :haveaniceday:

2. BigMike81

BigMike81 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

What about a HPI Sprint 2. Come rtr at under 400. Or a Vaterra Camaro ss brushless at around 370 rtr.

3. crazzybiker

crazzybiker New Member

I have considered an hpi but I read a lot of reviews and seems those have a lot of issues. Even driftmission when comparing it to other chassis says the layout of it is wrong and it does have a lot of issue. I do like custom setup a but don't want to spend more time tinkering with it then driving it. I am not a fan of the vaterra layout either, seems all the weight is too the back.

Like I have said I have narrowed it down to these two chassis, just wanna know if I am better off getting the mst 50/50 setup or pay abit more and get an upgrades sakura. Which one will be better in the end result. Right now I am considering getting both cause I can't make up mind.

4. meistr

meistr New Member

Hey Crazzybiker..
    Out of those two, i would say, take the MST chassis.
    Reason why?
    Its an RTR car, it means, that it come with everything you need in the start. Its also not that expensive, if the drift world is nothing for you :)

I dont know how the MST drives, i have no expirience with that car at all.

I have had the sakura but sold it. The biggest problem in my opinion is that the driveline has a lot of drag/resistence. And the next problem with the Sakura, it dosn't come with all the electrical components.

5. crazzybiker

crazzybiker New Member

Good to know actually !! Both seem to be excellent chassis for handling wise. As for electronics rcmart is selling the kit with electronics for $199 minus a receiver and remote but that would add on another $60 for the remote. The only reason I am considering the sakura is cause I can have it upgraded and still be under my budget. Like I said it would be coming with everything included to make it run and has spur gear upgrade, graphite chassis upgrade with aluminum a arms. For the mst although it has everything to run to add on those two upgrades it would cost me another $200 bucks.

6. BigMike81

BigMike81 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

If you like both for different features, I would get both especially if you stay within your buget, that way you can have the best of both worlds, and not compromise as much.:)