1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Canadian Coast Guard livery for the DC3

Discussion in 'Aircraft Build Projects' started by mlang1321, Mar 28, 2014.

1. mlang1321

mlang1321 RIP Dad I'll always love you.
    ELiTE MEMBER

Hey guys I'm currently in the process of building a 1/10th scale version of the DC3. It's one that was flown by the Canadian Coast Guard. It's got a wingspan of 106.9" and I'm using two 17 cc gas engine's turning twin 3 blade 13x8 propellers with scale retractable landing gear. I'm not sure if this would be of any interest to anyone out here. I know from what I see there isn't a big following of people with planes as there are scale surface vehicles. I've got a lot of work done already and once warmer weather hits south western ontario and I can get out and do some more painting on the fuselage. The body is finished with the white automotive grade paint and I've got the red stripe to do now and then the wings. I had to build the two wing halves from scratch and just need to cover them and then paint them.

I'll post some pictures of the plane out here later today or tomorrow if anyone is interested in following this build. I hope to have it maiden late this spring or early this summer I hope or at least that's the plan right now. I've got upwards of 2 grand into it as it sits now with motors and landing gear and then of course the kit and money to rebuild the wing halves.

Fiberglass fuselage

[​IMG]
    Thanks Mike L.

#1 mlang1321, Mar 28, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2014
    BigMike81 likes this.
  2. walter

walter Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

that going to be cool

3. mlang1321

ELiTE MEMBER

Thanks Walter I'll get some more pictures up tomorrow once I get down there in the morning. I like trucks too but first started doing scale planes. It's a big plane with a big footprint and fill up my shop floor very fast.

Here's one I finished last year Walter it was a test to see if I could still build after my strokes.
    [​IMG]

I can't find the finished one here on my phone but it's on my build for my SCX10 project copperhead.

Found it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#3 mlang1321, Mar 28, 2014
  4. mlang1321

ELiTE MEMBER

This is what it will look like once done.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The pictures were found on an aircraft site and I love the paint scheme of it so I decided to make it.

#4 mlang1321, Mar 28, 2014
  5. RustyWrench

RustyWrench ...I Always Edit...
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Wow wonderful craftsmanship, beautiful planes... I started out with basher RC's and now I am truly enjoying true 1/10 scale We have a G2, a TF2, I have scratch built a kayak and a canoe, kit built a camper, picnic table... Now we are building a scale creekside cabin and a true 1/10 hydro... It's only a matter of time before I take on a plane, so I'm looking forward to following your thread and hopefully I can learn a little from you...

Dean

#5 RustyWrench, Mar 28, 2014
    BigMike81 likes this.
  6. Daximus

Daximus Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Subscribed.

The only think keeping me from flying RCs is money and skill...or rather lack thereof, lol.

BigMike81 likes this.
  7. walter

walter Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

that looks nice

BigMike81 likes this.
  8. mlang1321

ELiTE MEMBER

Thanks Dean, yea I've spent almost 20 years flying and building aircraft and gave it up in 2010 after my stroke. But after watching some videos of rcsparks and some from DJMEDIC I decided to give trucks a go. But I just can't stop building planes as well, I like the scratch building and the pride that comes with it. I'm no starting to get into building with styrene after watching some build treads out here from the likes of [MENTION=4709]SemiJoe[/MENTION] and [MENTION=13411]Cultus[/MENTION]. I don't know if I fly them again buy I won't stop building them. That other one pictured is a full 1/4 scale of a 1917 German Fokker D8 with a 89" wingspan, there's something about watching a plane you built leave the ground the first time and an even greater time seeing it land safely.

BigMike81 likes this.
  9. mlang1321

ELiTE MEMBER

Thanks Daximus I'll try to keep the updates coming as fast as I can. I've got a workshop that's approximately 15' x 30' and it's got 3 large scale plane builds, my SCX10 project copperhead and a trailer and pickup I'm doing from scratch for a car and truck hauler. Planes add up really quickly into huge money pits but they are fun. You should try building a kit then scratch building one its very gratifying.

BigMike81 likes this.
  10. mlang1321

ELiTE MEMBER

Thanks Walter. Your a very talented builder as well i see. I love your one bronco build with the multicolored paint job. That's on my list to build as well with a 1/5th scale P47 jug with a 97" wingspan and a 1/12th scale C130 Hercules with just under a 13' wingspan with operating ramp and jump doors.

#10 mlang1321, Mar 28, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2014
    BigMike81 likes this.
  11. mlang1321

ELiTE MEMBER

A few small updates for project Canadian Coast Guard

Here is a few updates to the DC3 I'm working on guys. To give you an idea as to the scale of the plane you can see my newly finished Axial SCX10 Dingo in a few of the pictures I've included. I finished off the two wing tips today as you can see in the first picture.

Here is a picture of both the top and bottom of the wing tips.
    Bottom of wing tip.
    [​IMG]
    Top of wing section.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. mlang1321

ELiTE MEMBER

Just a few more pictures for today and it's done for today guys.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So let me know what you guys think or if you have any questions feel free to ask away I'll answer anything you want to know. The white on the plane is now finished arctic white and the Gray stripe down the side and around the front will soon be Viper red then I'll paint the black lettering all over the fuselage with Canadian coast guard in both English and French. Then it will all be clear coated on top to seal it all.

I plan on getting the covering on the 2 wing section then paint red on the wing tip then do all the lettering again in both English and French then clear the wing. Then put all the electronics in the fuselage and run the plumbing for the two 17 cc gas engine's and twin fuel tanks and then it's ready to break in the engines and the get it in the air for its test flites. What you guys think about installing a full light kit for this plane. I found a site that custom makes the lites with all needed lenses and wiring and controller. They are exact replicas of the original plane but very expensive to buy I think he quoted me $475.00 shipping included. That would come with all flashing beacon lites, marker lites, landing lites and lites to check the motor in flight if needed.

#12 mlang1321, Mar 29, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2014
    BigMike81 likes this.
  13. RustyWrench

RustyWrench ...I Always Edit...
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    I had the exact same sofa and coffee table as you until I moved and gave them away... LoL... I love the build, it's always an honor to be able and scroll through such wonderful builds done by extremely talented people (There are quite a few here on the forum)... As far as the lighting goes I just buy pre wired 9v LED's (Cheap) and solder them up and power them from a separate 9v battery, so I have no real good advice for you... LoL... You should build a runway tug out of your SCX10...

Dean

#13 RustyWrench, Mar 29, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2014
    BigMike81 likes this.
  14. mlang1321

ELiTE MEMBER

Yea I should they are both 1/10th scale. That would be a different use of my SCX10 maybe it needs a full refit already and just not run it yet. I could make a body out of styrene to resemble one I think.

RustyWrench likes this.
  15. Cultus

Cultus Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

WOW, beautiful work man!! I cant wait too see that done. My first RC's were actually a plane and a glider in the early 90s. I loved building them, but they were nothing like your scale beauties. The plane's prop nicked the tip of my finger once, so I was always a bit nervous using the thing. That, and the local "licenced trainer" guy in the area was a complete ass made flying less fun that it should have been, lol. I really enjoyed the glider, but the launch system was a pain. The technical aspects of finding thermals and lift and staying in the air for 30 minutes was just awesome. I still remember having a dogfight with a falcon once, who took great offence to my glider being in his airspace.

16. mlang1321

ELiTE MEMBER

I think I know the trainer, lol. I think all clubs have someone like him. I almost got into a fist fight with one guy at our club that thought people got there wing's to fast and were untrained. I told him cause he was a dumb a#@ and needed 3 years to learn to fly RC not everyone else is as dumb as him. He took offense to it and wanted to start something. My friends stopped me from flattening him. Yea propellers are a dangerous thing I watch a guy remove 3 fingers once, was a shame we couldn't get to him before it happened. It takes a fraction of a second to injure yourself and a lifetime to forget it. I love flying but since my stroke it's hard getting these big birds to the flying field.

17. Chunder

Chunder Fixer
    ELiTE MEMBER

Nice to see another flyer. Most of my planes are only somewhat scale, I have the occasional bad landing so don't want to make them model quality just to watch them smack into the ground. :haveaniceday:

18. mlang1321

ELiTE MEMBER

Hey [MENTION=13411]Cultus[/MENTION] check out my other thread of the Fokker D8 that I built I've been posting the build pictures that I'm finding as I dig in my computer. It's almost done I've got a windshield to install and maybe the machine guns if I decide to install them into the fuselage. You can see the inner workings of that plane. It's a full 1:4th scale with a 89" wingspan.

19. mlang1321

ELiTE MEMBER

Yea I know what you mean [MENTION=34]Chunder[/MENTION], landings are the hardest sometimes. Scale planes like WW1 planes are even harder to land like the Fokker D8 that I have in the plane photos section. I enjoy building both planes and surface vehicles now. I've got into scale trucks now and am working on a parts list for the next few trucks I'm planning that will be totally scratch built for what I'm looking for, I'm even thinking now on doing an aircraft tow vehicle to pull my planes around with that's if I can get dimensions of an actual one but no luck yet. I myself don't care if I crash and wreck a plane since I've built it I can fix it.

Thanks Mike L

20. BigMike81

BigMike81 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Thanks for posting this thread. I love the dc3, its a great model and yours looks awesome. The light kit should be great on there I'll be watching this and keep posting those great pictures.