1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Canadian Coast Guard livery for the DC3

Discussion in 'Aircraft Build Projects' started by mlang1321, Mar 28, 2014.

1. mlang1321

mlang1321 RIP Dad I'll always love you.
    ELiTE MEMBER

Thanks Mike, yea I thinking seriously about ordering it. It's a lot of money for a light kit but I might as well cough up the dough and get a scale light kit that will have every light the full scale one has on it with all the proper lenses and colors with a wiring diagram and controller. I love the DC3 as well and also the C130 herc.

2. mlang1321

ELiTE MEMBER

Hey Mike if you like planes of any area check out the airplane picture section and look for the Fokker that I've just about finished building. It's 99.7% done just need to install a windscreen and the twin scale machine guns, NOT Sure If I'll Do The Machine Guns.

3. mlang1321

ELiTE MEMBER

Dc3 tail feathers built ready for covering.

Hey guys I'm finally getting around to working on my RC projects again after my stay in the big house (hospital). I've been given the okay to become a human again and been told by the Dr's and more importantly my wife to get out and do things again but slowly. So here I'm just finished building the tail sections of the DC 3, Canadian Coast Guard edition. The following are pictures of the tail as i get ready to put the white covering on it.

Rear bottom
    [​IMG]

Rear upper elevators & rudder
    [​IMG]

Rear close up top right elevator half . Total width 29"

[​IMG]

Rear total elevator section
    [​IMG]

Right side total view.

[​IMG]

Total length shown from front to rear edge of elevator is 71"
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. RustyWrench

RustyWrench ...I Always Edit...
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    How do you keep the compound curves equal on both sides? I always wanted to know that trick... Man I wish I could come out and see you fly...

Dean

BigMike81 likes this.
  5. mlang1321

ELiTE MEMBER

6. CodeRedMD

CodeRedMD Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

This is a neat looking plane your working on here Mike. Looks like when your done it will be one awesome flying machine. ;)

7. BigMike81

BigMike81 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Love the scale landing gear. That will look great going down the runway.

8. mlang1321

ELiTE MEMBER

Thanks CodeRedMD. I'm hoping it will fly nice and land even better. I'm getting back to work on things slowly but steadily. I enjoy both methods of the rc hobby with cars, trucks and scale planes.

9. mlang1321

ELiTE MEMBER

Thanks BigMike81 it was a bit more money but we'll worth the extra amount of cash but definitely makes the plane. It needed scale gear, I've also got scale wheels for the mains and tail wheel.

BigMike81 likes this.
  10. BigMike81

ELiTE MEMBER

Just keep plucking at it, I already know that this will be a beautiful model.

11. mlang1321

ELiTE MEMBER

Thanks Mike, its a slow process for me right now but I'm looking at the end of the project so then I can start another project. I've got a few Giant Scale airplanes to build coming up in the near future to finish that I've started a while back and will get them up here as well.

1] Giant Scale P-47 Jug from Top Flite, Started building, 85" wingspan, 1/5th scale
    2] Giant Scale B-25 Mitchell, Kit is cut and ready to start, Cut from Ziroli plans, 101" wingspan, 1/8th scale
    3] Hawker Hurricane, Kit is cut and ready to start, Cut from Roy Vaillancourt plans, 92" wingspan, scale 1/5.3 scale
    4] Giant Scale Ryan, Spirit Of St louis, Kit is cut and ready to start, Cut from Ziroli plans, 138" wingspan, 1/4 scale
    5] Giant Scale C-130 Hercules, Kit is cut and waiting to start, Cut from Palmer plans, 132.84 wingspan, 1/12th scale

thats it for my airplane builds to date. I plan to build everyone of them and all from scratch except the Top Flite P-47 which i bought the kit having always wanted to build one and i got a killer price on it. I've also got a full list of RC cars, trucks and trailers to build as well during the building of the planes.

I've got a bit more finishes off on my DC-3 but didn't take pictures today so i will take some in the morning of the work i did today and then ill post more with tomorrows work as well. Sorry for the delay on my builds but I'm slowly easing into building slowly this time so i can work all day on my building with occasionally stopping to do some playtime with my trucks.

These are 3 of my dream planes that I plan to build one day but as of yet I haven't cut anything yet, but have all the plans for them here and waiting for cutting of the parts to start building someday. I also need to wait for the Semi trailer full of Balsa wood and Light Ply for the cutting of the kits.
    ZIROLI GIANT SCALE PLANS for 1/4.4 DR-1 Triplane, 63" wingspan
    ZIROLI GIANT SCALE PLANS for 1/5.3 JU-87B Stuka, 100" wingspan
    ZIROLI GIANT SCALE PLANS for 1/5.3 P-38 Lighting, 114" wingspan

#31 mlang1321, May 7, 2014
    Last edited: May 7, 2014
  12. BigMike81

ELiTE MEMBER

I'll start calling you the master builder! That is a very comprehensive list.

13. mlang1321

ELiTE MEMBER

Thanks Mike

Thanks Mike I just enjoy building plane's as scale as i can and love watching a scratch build of any kind fly, drive or even float. I've never built an rc boat as of yet but I've looked at a few out on ebay from the billings company there a full wood structure from the hull up. I think I've got the name right, there kits look very scale and detailed. I've spent about a year cutting parts for all the plane's , so they are all in kit form so I can start building and not worry about having to stop to cut all the parts as i need them. I think I've got enough complete to finish 5 in a row now or something like that anyways.

But I would like to say thank you for all the kind words from you Mike.

BigMike81 likes this.
  14. BigMike81

ELiTE MEMBER

You're welcome my friend, you gotta do what you love and I know that you do because you do it well.

15. mlang1321

ELiTE MEMBER

Thanks Mike, I do love it and I think I do alright at building planes.

BigMike81 likes this.
  16. BigMike81

ELiTE MEMBER

Hey my man, just checking in to se how everything is going. Good I trust. I'm just keen on this plane and want to see it again.

17. mlang1321

ELiTE MEMBER

I had to take some time off for health reasons Mike but I'm back at it again. It's still going to maiden this season

18. BigMike81

ELiTE MEMBER

I,m glad to see you back, keep fighting man, never give up:yuush:.

19. mlang1321

ELiTE MEMBER

I try not too Mike but sometimes it gets a little bit hard to deal with when I see those walls more then the ones in my house. Now that being said my beautiful wife is my rock she keeps me wanting to continue and fight. She also encourages my hobbies and keeps me busy as well doing little jobs to make me feel like I'm doing something to contribute to our house . It's my 20th anniversary tomorrow June 25th and the last 5 have been really rough and she's been thru it with me the whole time. With her at my side I feel like the richest man in the world with her at my side.

I'll have some updates coming very soon for you guys following me on this epic Canadian Coast Guard edition DC 3 build. I'm still thinking about ordering a $350.00 light setup with all the proper colors and lenses for the entire plane. If it's on the actual plane it's going to be on my scaled down version of it. Rather then try make it up myself I'm going to order it since they make all the lenses for it with the kit.

BigMike81 likes this.
  20. BigMike81

ELiTE MEMBER

Thank the Lord for our wives.:) where would we be without them?