1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Canadian Coast Guard livery for the DC3

Discussion in 'Aircraft Build Projects' started by mlang1321, Mar 28, 2014.

1. mlang1321

mlang1321 RIP Dad I'll always love you.
    ELiTE MEMBER

This is what it will look like in a few weeks, at least I hope it will.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'm doing other wing portion right now and will make a video so or.

BigMike81 likes this.
  2. BigMike81

BigMike81 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Bring on the vids bro. Totally looking forward to it.

3. mlang1321

ELiTE MEMBER

Thanks Mike I plan on doing more of them. Lease let me know what you guys want to see and I will do it, or at least try to do it for you guys.

BigMike81 likes this.
  4. mlang1321

ELiTE MEMBER

DC 3 finally gets her lettering

Well guys I'm sorry to those of you that are following me as I build this plane at a snails pace. But I got back to it and if anything I'm persistent, I got back to the build today and finished off printing my letters and decided to put them on. The letters on the Fuselage are 1" tall block letters and stretched out over 24" down the sides of the fuselage. The letters on the outer wing portions and 2.5" tall block letter and the wingspan is almost 10 foot wingtip to wingtip. I'm hoping to have the red painted on this weekend and then clear-coated by Monday at the latest then its a matter of putting all the plane back together one last time with the electronics, fuel tanks and motors and the other fun stuff. I'm toying with the idea of putting in a 3rd tank in the fuselage that would house smoke oil so at the flick of a switch i can have the motors smoking like the original DC 3's used too.

From the Left side of fuselage.
    [​IMG]

Left looking forward
    [​IMG]

Rear right side looking forward
    [​IMG]

Rear looking down at wing and fuselage
    [​IMG]

Showing the motor with the attached 13 x 8 - 3 blade scale prop.
    [​IMG]

Left side close up of windows and lettering on fuselage.
    [​IMG]

So what you guys think so far I value your opinion and also what about the smoke system do you guys thing I should do it or not bother with it? Let me know in your comments

5. BigMike81

ELiTE MEMBER

I personally think that you have to do the smoke system, That would look sweet on start-ups. The plane looks great and I can't wait to see it all painted up.

6. Cultus

Cultus Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Wow its really looking great! Can't wait to see the red on her. I really like the idea of the smoke, but I know nothing about them. How well they work or if they are overly messy, but if it will give the effect you want, and doesn't break the bank then go for it

7. mlang1321

ELiTE MEMBER

I think so too [MENTION=15475]BigMike81[/MENTION] . I'm going to order what I need to get the smoke system set up in it. Its nothing more then drilling a hole in the mufflers and turning in a nipple to hook the fuel line too from the smoke tank.

8. mlang1321

ELiTE MEMBER

Thanks [MENTION=13411]Cultus[/MENTION] its not a bank breaker for sure. Its drilling a hole in the muffler and screwing in a fuel probe and getting a smoke oil pump and running the line to both engines. They always smoke when starting up on the real planes so I think that the plane would just look that much cooler with smoke coming out.

9. mlang1321

ELiTE MEMBER

Hey Guys I'm back here and into building again. I'm as far as i can go till I can get my friend to finish his paint booth so I decided to post the plane as it sits right now. I've put in a few objects that you can see to compare the size and scale of the plane so you get really see how big this is.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Let me know what you guys think of the plane so far and check out this site in the next few days I've started a 1:5th scale P-47 Thunderbolt that will require a 100 cc gas engine when done. Its going to have a sliding canopy and fully functioning pilot figure that will move with the throttle, elevator, rudder and ailerons.

BigMike81, walter and RustyWrench like this.
  10. cdnltded

cdnltded Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    that looks wicked
    is there cover that go over the motors as well?
    cant wait to see some pic or a video of it flying when its all done

BigMike81 and mlang1321 like this.
  11. mlang1321

ELiTE MEMBER

Yes there is a fiberglass cover that goes over each engine. Some of the cylinder head will be visisble and the muffler but that cant be helped in that setup.

12. cdnltded

cdnltded Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    right on should look great

mlang1321 likes this.
  13. mlang1321

ELiTE MEMBER

I'll post a picture of the later today but they are not cut to mount yet. I'm going to make them and cut them, then I'll paint them before mounting them for good. I just want yo mount them once so they will be less likely to get damaged from putting them on and off numerous times.

BigMike81 likes this.
  14. RustyWrench

RustyWrench ...I Always Edit...
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    I clicked "LIKE" because I like the Liquor Cabinet. The Plane is not bad either... lol... Nice to see you back Mike, I hope all is well. I'm dying to see more...

Dean

mlang1321 likes this.
  15. mlang1321

ELiTE MEMBER

Thanks Dean I appreciate the kind remarks. Yea that a great part of the plane building area. I spend my days down there more then ever.

16. BigMike81

ELiTE MEMBER

Looks just a bit bigger than a park flyer isn't it;). It looks great Mike, I truly appreciate the skill you have to create such an amazing replica.:xd:

mlang1321 likes this.
  17. mlang1321

ELiTE MEMBER

Yea just a bit bigger @bigMike81and maybe a few ounces heavier. I think the 14 servo's I'm installing in the fuselage and wings have a combined weight more then a fully loaded park flier. But I'm thinking a lot more fun to fly.

BigMike81 and RustyWrench like this.
  18. BigMike81

ELiTE MEMBER

14 servos huh, now thats what I call more power:yuush:

mlang1321 likes this.
  19. mlang1321

ELiTE MEMBER

Hey guys its Mike and I've gotten OK from all my Dr's to get back at life. I recently ordered some items for my DC 3 that i thought you guys should check out. I did a lot of research looking for a decent set of fuel tanks for my gas engines. I found a company out of Texas and its Called Fourtitude RC and there webpage is http://www.fourtituderc.com/rtu-fuel-tanks.html in my eyes these are the Best Tank Systems for Gas Engines by a long shot. The tanks arrive fully plumbed and sealed for a 3 line system, a dedicated carb line, Dedicated fill line and a dedicated vent line. They also make a single or double bracket for mounting tanks into air-frame and if you do it properly in large scale RC trucks and boats running gas engines

Tanks installed into center section of DC 3

[​IMG]

A few pictures getting ready to do install and on Dining-room Oak Table

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Close up of NGH 17GT Gas Engine

[​IMG]

Together waiting for the 14 Spektrum A6180 Digital Aircraft Servo's to arrive at the LHS easy way to drop over $400.00 + tax on them. All i need now are servo extensions and install Spektrum 8ch receiver and the 3 A123 2500 Mah, 2 for the receiver and 1 for the ignition system.

[​IMG]

RustyWrench likes this.
  20. BigMike81

ELiTE MEMBER

Looks beautiful Mike, a truly well planned build with stunning results.:want:

mlang1321 likes this.