1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Castle Creation SCT in Slash 2wd

Discussion in 'Short Course' started by jdrada18, Jul 25, 2016.

1. jdrada18

jdrada18 Member

Hello,
    I have been the owner of the newest Castle sidewinder sct combo for my slash 2wd for about a month now. I bought it because the combo was said to be superior to the vxl system that traxxas makes. I later learned that the sidewinder sct will only allow for a 2s lipo battery. I purchased this motor esc combo expecting to be able to go around 40 to 50 mph. How is this possible if it only allows for a 2s lipo pack? And is this system really better then the velineon?

2. Mogg2112

Mogg2112 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    I have the same Castle SCT combo in my Rustler and it's a great system. The Castle system isn't necessarily superior to the Velineon, but it does have some better features (and it's MUCH better priced) in my opinion. For one, the ESC is programmable with the Castle Link, and that's an advantage to the system over the Velineon.

The Sidewinder ESC is not the greatest if you want to go super fast. It's more of a "sport" ESC best suited for all-around bashing speeds on 2S of around 30-35mph usually. It can handle 3S power from what I've read, but you need to be geared correctly and watching temps. I'm not sure if you're going to attain 40mph or above on 2S, but you can try to gear up higher and see what happens. Be sure to watch your temps!!

If you want speed, you're going to probably want to run 3S pack, upgrade the ESC to a MambaMax Pro or something similar (HobbyWing EZRun SC8 is another option), and get your gearing ratio set up right so that the system runs within a safe temp range. But be aware that doing so will probably mean you need to make some durability upgrades to your truck, namely the driveshafts, trans case, and some other things because on 3S power, you will be putting a lot more power through the vehicle and straining parts much more than you would just sticking with 2S.

The Castle SCT 3800kv motor is more than capable of handling the additional power/speed though. You basically just need to experiment a bit... especially with regards to gearing and electronics.

3. jdrada18

jdrada18 Member

Thanks for the help man.
    I have been running this system for a month on the battery that was recommended to me by the lhs. Its a venom 4000mah 20c 3s lipo. I love the results, I run 19t pinion 86t spur and can hit 44mph. I just recently was doing reading on the castle site and it says to use a 2s with a minimum of 30c continuous discharge. So I feel like I should buy a 2s before I mess something up. I have had no problems with the set up I am running now, the motor stays around 130 after 30 min of normal bashing. Should I stay with what Im doing or do you think I will burn something up.

4. Mogg2112

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Castle is pretty conservative on their recommended gearing ratios and battery setups for their systems. The C rating on your 3S pack is a bit low, but if you're running on that ratio with no problems, then by all means keep doing what you're doing! The Venom packs are good quality and people I've known who run them like them quite a lot. Are your ESC temps in the 130 range as well? If so, you probably don't have to worry about burning anything up.

2S is a lot easier on the system and your vehicle's parts, but if you're happy with 3S, then there's probably no reason to get a 2S unless you want to mix up every now and then. 2S is "generally" safer for hard bashing sessions since you don't have to exercise so much throttle control or check temps all the time like you do with 3S. Temps are usually the biggest issue when choosing to run 3S all the time for these trucks. Just keep an eye on them and if you notice increases in temps, gear down a bit.

I'd look into getting some beefier parts though if you plan on running 3S regularly.. the stock drive shafts aren't really tough enough in the long-term for 3S, so I would recommend looking into MIP or Hot Racing CV shafts... not 100% necessary though if your stock shafts are holding up just fine. I believe you can also get Stampede 4x4 drive shafts, which should fit in the 2wd Slash and are a bit more durable than the regular ones. Also keep an eye out for wear in other areas of the truck... wheel hubs, axles, etc. 32p gears are also a lot more durable than 48p in the long run, but again, if 48p works for you and is not giving you any issues, then there may be no need! :cool:

5. jdrada18

jdrada18 Member

Im not 100% sure about the esc, it has a big fan that's mounted on it so its hard to get to the esc itself. And alright thanks for the help. Im just going to run it like I do now and fix things that break. One question I have though is what are the side effects of using the 20c lipo. What are the possible negative outcomes of using a battery with a C rating that is a bit low? If it ruins the battery or esc that's one thing. If the battery goes up inflames and does damage to me or someone else that's another.

6. Mogg2112

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Sorry for not responding sooner. As far as your question, I'm not knowledgeable enough about electronics and high discharge batteries to explain the disadvantages of using a batteries with low C ratings. From what I understand, a lower C rating will reduce the amperage flow needed by the motor and ESC, which can heat up the battery and ESC. I'm not going to pretend to know anything beyond that though, but I do know that a higher C rating is usually preferred. Here is a link that explains it way better than I can. http://rogershobbycenter.com/lipoguide/ scroll down to discharge rating.

lout and jdrada18 like this.
  7. jdrada18

jdrada18 Member

Okay thank you, ill have a look at the article.

8. o2rustyw02

o2rustyw02 Active Member

Media:
    I have a sidewinder 3 esc and motor set up in my 2wd slash with 3s 5000mh 25c, it's a blast. But repairs are continuous. I've went to mip axels and the traxxas upgraded shocks. I blew up 2 differentials and finally packed one with 1 million weight silicone grease, works much better for me.