1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OTHER CC-01 Solid Axle Build

Discussion in 'OFF Road Build Projects' started by MathewFPV, Dec 23, 2016.

1. MathewFPV

MathewFPV Well-Known Member

Media:
    Recently I built myself a full solid axle CC-01, and Im constantly tweaking and upgrading it. This is my first "real" solid axle offroad rig, so it would be nice if you could help me on my way too finish it.
    Parts used in the Build:
    -Rc4wd Nylon Punisher shafts

-Rc4wd Yota I Ultimate Axles (front & rear)
    -Rc4wd Yota 4-link mounts
    -Axial Ax10 transmission (no diff, with slipper clutch)
    -Savöx SC-0251 MG
    -Carson shocks (500405703)
    -Absima V Block weels & tires
    -varios bits and peaces for links and custom mounts

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#1 MathewFPV, Dec 23, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2017
  2. MathewFPV

Media:
    I'm planning on putting some 1.55" Rc4wd steel landies vintage beadlocks (500405703) aswell as trhowing a Rc4wd Land Rover Defender D90 on it. At the moment iw weighs just over 2kg (4lbs) and im wondering, if i should make it heavier, maybe 4kg, to maximice traction (and becaouse in the Youtube videos DJ says, that a lot of his rigs weigh more then 10, sometimes 16lbs). Any advice, especially on mounting the body and to the weight would be really nice.

Here is the link to some pictures:
    http://imgur.com/a/AEQMs

#2 MathewFPV, Dec 23, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2016
    lout, Little Rascle and Antho11 like this.
  3. Antho11

Antho11 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Welcome to the forum! That's a cool rig, I've never seen a CC01 with a solid front axle before! Weight is something you should experiment with. Usually you want weight down low so you have a lower center of gravity which will prevent tipping over. Too much weight can be hard on the drivetrain and it just makes it less capable. You should try experimenting with some little weights and see how it performs and make adjustments from there. Some people like mounting bodies with magnets or the traditional way with body posts. I like using little screws on the body in inconspicuous locations.

Y2daT and MathewFPV like this.
  4. MathewFPV

Media:
    Thank you for the fast reply,
    i will try some steel 1.55" rc 4wd landie vintage rims, for lowering the cg and see how this extra weight will help at climbing (my battery is atm in the back of the truck, i might move it forwards if the body allows it). For the body, I might try some aluminium standoffs, to have the screws right in the stock mounting position for the Rc4wd D90.

lout and Antho11 like this.
  5. Antho11

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    No problem! Keep us posted!

MathewFPV likes this.
  6. MathewFPV

Media:
    My new RC4wd 1.55 vintage Landies and my D90 Body arrived, I already cut some parts off the chassis to make place for the interior. I accidentally ordered the wrong tires (RC4wd 1.55 Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ P3's) because they were way too small. I will order some 1.55 Mud trashers, they should fit really well with an outer diameter of ~ 95mm
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Those are the 1.55 Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ's,they are way too smal

Ps: I hope those pictures look better now, upgraded from my smartphone to a NIKON D5300 :D

#6 MathewFPV, Jan 17, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2017
  7. MathewFPV

Media:
    The Body will be painted in british racing green with a white roof, parts like the door handles or the grille will eventually get painted black.

8. Antho11

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    The pictures are good quality! You did a good job getting the right wheelbase.

MathewFPV likes this.
  9. MathewFPV

Media:
    I'm sorry to let you wait that long for a new update, but the last two months I had a lot of school stuff to do, and didn't have lot's of spare time for my hobby's.

But this week we have holidays so I can continue, and hopefully finish this project.

Today, I'm working on a solution to mount the body to the chassis.
    I made a mounting plate out of 2mm aluminium, that I cut out with a jigsaw.

[​IMG]

This plate gets bolted to the chassis, using some M3 screws and locknuts.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I will mount some standoffs to the plate, to which the body gets screwed in.
    The holes in the Rc4wd body will get bored out to fit some 3mm screws, because i don't have any M3 standoffs laying around :D

I'm not too certain, if those normal M3 aluminium standoffs will hold up to the forces from a bigger crash, please let me know if you have an better idea for mounting the body to the plate, or anything else, that I could do better.

I was thinking about a solid block of aluminium or steel that I can mount with 2 screws onto the plate.

This is, what I was thinking off:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Antho11

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    School takes up all my time from rc too. I would try with the setup you have now and see how it goes. Then when you have time make the nice ones you designed. You speak English very well considering you live in Nuremeberg.

Mark Liersch and Little Rascle like this.
  11. MathewFPV

Media:
    Thanks a lot :D
    I'm pretty satisfied with the results and especially, how sturdy the mounting plates ended up.
    The M3 standoffs that connect to the body are looking strong enough to withstand some rollovers or minor crashes, but i can always change them out if I desire.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I had to rotate the plates a little bit, so that the front of the body sits a little bit lower, now its perfectly straight.
    You can see on the front fenders some neoprene pads, which hinder the body from crashing into the fenders on a hard landing.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Even when the truck flexes that hard, the tires don't rub on the body, even when turning.

Now i just need to finish the body....
    so I need to paint it (in British racing green) put in the windows and other accessories.
    I'm even thinking about weathering sooner or later.

12. MathewFPV

Media:
    I also saw some pretty cheap roofracks on Hobbyking for the D90, but I'm not too sure which to choose or if they are any good.

This one is extremely cheap (16$ US) and is made out of pretty thin steel, that would help with keeping the CG as low as possible.

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/1-10-d90-roof-rack.html

This one is more expensive (43$ US) but still very cheap compared to the one made by Rc4wd. Im not too sure, if its going to fit, because the section in front of the windshield isnt angled at all.
    Its also made from thicker stell that makes it a little bit more rugget but heavier as well.

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/1-10-d90-roof-rack-1.html

So.. would you recommend any of those, or should I just buy the one from Rc4wd (120$ US) if I want to get a good roofrack?

Mark Liersch likes this.
  13. Magnat007

Magnat007 Proud SCX10 Owner
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Absolutely loving your work... One of the best CC-01's I have ever seen.. puts mine to shame !

14. MathewFPV

Media:
    Thanks man, I really appreciate your kind words.

I really hope that some people get inspired to mod their own cc-01 or any other Truck, because I by myself got inspired by a thread in a dutch forum, where somebody modded his cc-01 really nice.

If i find that thread I'll post the link here:

Besides that I was able to finish the paint job except for the clear coat.
    I removed some leftovers from the fabrication of the body, and cleaned everything with some brake-disc cleaner (important to test before you apply the cleaner to make sure that it doesn't eat the plastic of the body).
    Then i masked off the roof and sprayed on one coat of plastic primer and waited ~1h.
    After the primer dried, I sprayed on four thin layers of the main color (British racing green) and let each layer dry 3 minutes before I applied the next one.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Tomorrow I'll spray some clear coat on the whole body and put on all the accessories like windows, lights and bumpers.

DodgeZippy, Antho11 and Mark Liersch like this.
  15. Bluedually

Bluedually Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Cool lookin 90. That is my favorite color for them.

Mark Liersch and MathewFPV like this.
  16. Mark Liersch

Mark Liersch Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Not usually a fan of the CC01, but what you've got going here has changed my mind a lot. Great job so far, nice work...

17. MathewFPV

Media:
    Mark Liersch likes this.
  18. MathewFPV

Media:
    Now all the accessories are mounted, it took me around 2 - 3 hours.
    Here are some pictures from my rig outside, it performs very well and has more grip then expected with those tires.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I will change the windshield, because there is some residoo left from masking it that won't come of with any technique I tried (WD40, Spirit, brake-disc-cleaner etc...).
    The next week i will try to make the bumpers (out of steel), fit some mud flaps and a spare tire.
    The interior is the last thing i want to do for now.

DodgeZippy, lout, Antho11 and 2 others like this.
  19. Mark Liersch

Mark Liersch Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Really nice looking Landie... Nice work with the CC01...

MathewFPV, Antho11 and Little Rascle like this.
  20. Antho11

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    I've had some good results on clear pieces by using some polishing compound and some good elbow grease. You can try it since your going to get another anyways. I like that you painted the rubber on the window, it makes it looks scale.