1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CC01 Landfreeder Fall Guy Truck

Discussion in 'Mods, Paint & Body Work' started by Steve.t, Mar 30, 2014.

1. Steve.t

Steve.t Member

Media:
    I want my Landfreeder to be a Fall Guy Look-a-Like truck.
    Now I know that the bed isn't the correct length, and the Landfreeder is based on a Ford, not GMC etc...
    But, I think I can get away with making the Landfreeder look like an early 1980's GMC truck...
    I started a thread in the 'Wheels and Tires' section, resulting in a set of RC4WD 1.55 wagon wheels wrapped in Desert King rubber, and I'm happy with how it looks. (Need to chrome the rims though).
    Moving on to paint now... No local hobby shop to pop into to have a look at the paints available, and I'm not sure about buying stuff off the web to 'try'. The colour on my screen when ordering, is not exactly like the colour that comes out of the tin/rattle can!
    Tamiya doesn't seem to have many options in Brown paint colours (I have no idea why!!).
    I have used Humbrol/Airfix paints lots before, so I have chosen to use their rattle cans.
    I have been buying some small 'tinlets' trying to find the correct shade of brown (with not much success!). Couple this with the limited colours available in rattle cans means I'm pretty tempted to buy an airbrush...but that would mean a whole new adventure (that I'm not ready for , just yet!)
    When I was painting my big yellow Sea King, I was surprised how much difference was made by the undercoat colour...I used grey on some parts, and that made the yellow almost look green! White underneath made the yellow much brighter and stronger...
    I have heard that the backing colour used on clear bodyshells has the same effect...
    I've not painted a clear body shell before, so am a little hesitant to ruin, I mean start, painting this one!
    I have got my rattle cans ready, but do I need to Scuff up the body before painting?

2. Steve.t

Steve.t Member

Media:
    I've done a quick test on some scrap bits of lexan/polycarbonate to test my colours and backing colours...
    [​IMG]

the taller piece was my first ever go at this!! Ok so I masked off a strip for the gold panel, the left side was backed with white, the right side was backed with black. Think the black side looks more like the correct colour...but I will need to be careful that I do an even coat (or 2) or it will look patchy...
    The smaller front piece I have backed the brown with metallic gold before the black, and I think this looks even better... I backed the gold with white before overspraying with black, I think this will be how I go on the main event... I also tried the chrome spray on the right side of the front bit, looks great from behind, but not so good from the front!

3. Steve.t

Steve.t Member

Media:
    Couple more pics of the test bits, close up this time so you can see the effect of the backing colours better:
    [​IMG]
    You can see the difference that the backing colour makes, white on the left, black on the right.
    I will also need to be more careful when masking, as you can see that the black and the white backing colours have both bled under the masking tape and blurred the line between the gold and the brown. I'm not sure if the masking tape shrank a little after the first coat of brown?

This is the 2nd test bit:
    [​IMG]
    This pic shows how by using metallic gold as the backing colour, a dull matt brown paint is transformed into a metallic brown!
    I'm happy with this colour/effect for my Fall Guy Truck!

4. darkside0914

darkside0914 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    that color looks really good very close to the actual color of the truck you are modeling this after if you wanted to spend the extra 30 bucks this body might be look a little better its a chevy not a gmc but its a lot closer than the stock body you have theres also the clod buster body and its a hard body not lexan
    https://www.ckrccrawlers.com/proline-80-chevy-pickup-large-p-583.html

#4 darkside0914, Apr 2, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2014
  5. Steve.t

Steve.t Member

Media:
    Thanks for the link darkside, the more I look at the Landfreeder body, the more I want another shell and do a more scale version!
    I've had my eye on a clodbuster hard body as I think that would be best. But I would like to stretch the bed so that it would be more scale like.
    I have also been thinking about the fact that the CC01 chassis is not scale with the wishbone front end...I have come to the conclusion that I will just have to do it properly with axels front and rear, longer wheelbase etc..! But that isn't going to be anytime soon! Gotta save for a family holiday now, so can't justify spending money on another project for a while!
    The landfreeder is going to have to do the job in the meanwhile! I think I should be able to get a close representation of Mr.Severs truck!
    I'm well happy with the colours that I've got, and can't wait to get on and paint it! I did think I would struggle to get a colour match, without mixing and airbrushing, but Humbrol/Airfix rattle cans have come good I think. Watch this space!

6. Steve.t

Steve.t Member

Media:
    While I wait for better conditions to paint the shell i.e. no kids, and the wifes out (cus I'm gonna have to do it inside!) I've been trying to fit my 'Bull Bar' on the CC01 chassis. I don't think that it's going all that well... It looks great on my King Blackfoot, but I don't think it looks as good on the landfreeder. I don't think that it helps that I've moved the winch further down on the bumper either... Some pics may illustrate what I mean:
    So this is the landfeeder with the Bull Bar
    [​IMG]

This is the winch lower in the bumper, with the blank plate added:
    [​IMG]

And this is the same bull bar set up with the King Blackfoot Shell:
    [​IMG]
    (More King Blackfoot pics in my Gallery)

I think I may just have to buy a CC01 Bull Bar like this, but not sure if i'll be able to get lights on it. And I'll have to do some work to get the winch mounted to it. But I do think it looks more scale than what I've got at the moment (the dia of the tubing looks more like the 1:1 truck)
    [​IMG]

May just have to play with the current set up some more (as its here!), but I am tempted by this Radshape bull bar, and its made for the CC01... Hmmmmmm... what to do?

7. Steve.t

Steve.t Member

Media:
    Been working on the bull bar lights today, I've cut off the mesh/cage from the lights and super glued some thin styrene onto the remainder of the ring... I used thin styrene so that the lights would still shine through, but then realised that the light lenses are slightly curved, so had to add another 'ring' of styrene before the final thin covering...
    And using some 2mm self adhesive vinyl lettering I've added the all important scale detailing to the light buckets!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm not sure, but I think the bull bar may not seem so big once I've painted the shell?
    I'll have to wait and see, and then maybe get that other one...

8. Steve.t

Steve.t Member

Media:
    This thread is a lonely place!
    Any other Fall Guy fans out there?
    Anyone at all interested in this build?! I don't think I'm in the right place for a build thread...
    I will post some pictures here, of the paint job as soon as its done.

9. Venom-Hilux

Venom-Hilux Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

That bull bar may be a little big. Hard to tell without the paint on the body.. I loved the Fall Guy as a kid. I look forward to seeing the final.

10. Venom-Hilux

Venom-Hilux Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

I wanted to say you project is coming along nice. I hope you keep posting as the build progresses. I know it's hard when a build thread doesn't seem to get a lot of attention. But you build because you enjoy it. You post to share your work. And even if no one seems to be paying attention as you build doesn't mean that a year from now someone won't find this tread and be inspired to build there favorite truck from a TV show. Sorry. This was a long way to say keep up the good work.

11. Y2daT

Y2daT Over Powered RC
    ELiTE MEMBER

Im following along ...keep it up :) I like the paint colors . but agree that the bull bar looks too big ....

#11 Y2daT, Apr 8, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2014
  12. Steve.t

Steve.t Member

Media:
    Thanks for comments Venom-Hilux, I totally agree with you.
    I hadn't thought about the fact that this thread will be around in cyberspace for many years to come!

This truck is gonna get built, even if no one is watching/interested!
    But it is nice to know that, right now, at least some people are interested!

I loved the TV show, and to have a truck that looks a bit like it will have to do me (for now).
    I have seen a few pictures on line of other builds of this truck, and that just encourages me more, to do my own.
    They all seem to have something good going on, but they all seem to get something wrong! Either the wrong colour, wrong wheels, wrong truck shape...
    My build will be no different! (Wrong truck, wrong bed length, wrong bull bar, wrong axle at front etc...) But, I will do another (eventually) and try to get all the elements correct and scale looking!

Y2daT its nice to know you're on board as well!:)

13. cdnltded

cdnltded Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    i used to think the same way about replies but not anymore. its the hits or views that count in my eye.
    there is some good options out there for a leaf spring setup when you get there. keep it up

14. Chunder

Chunder Fixer
    ELiTE MEMBER

Oh, I've been following it since the first post, I just haven't had anything to contribute.

15. darkside0914

darkside0914 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    have you seen this by another member walter
    http://www.rcsparks.com/forum/scale-build-projects/26286-walters-clod-body-maxstone16.html
    he used a clod body a maxstone 16 and this frame
    TCS Crawlers Aluminum L-Trail Scale Chassis for Losi Mini Rock Crawler - The Crawlers Store LLC
    to build a really nice scale chevy truck with a new paint job and wheels would look a lot like the gmc from the show the frame is just over $30 shipped the maxstone 16 is $115 shipped and is easily adapted to this frame I know ive just done the conversion myself a couple hrs ago

16. Steve.t

Steve.t Member

Media:
    Thanks darkside0914, more ideas for a budget build in the future...
    I've had quite a productive day today, washed and masked the body shell and sprayed it!! Forgot to take any pics during the whole process, and don't really want to share how it looks right now...but soon as I get the stickers on and window masks off I'll post some pics!

17. Steve.t

Steve.t Member

Media:
    Ok then, if you insist!
    Here's a pic of how she looking so far...

[​IMG]

18. Steve.t

Steve.t Member

Media:
    I have stickered up one side:

[​IMG]

I've got a few annoying marks in the brown, looks like residue from the Frog tape that I used to mask off (where I suck some and then moved it) something I will be more aware of next time!

Also I didn't feather in the gold/brown on the bonnet (hood!) so I'm disappointed with that bit. I may just put a bigger sticker on, but I think the bigger one looks too big?

[​IMG]

Smaller, better?

[​IMG]

Pleased overall though, since it was my first time spraying Lexan!
    May get around to doing the Cayenne S body that's been on my shelf for a couple of years!
    Need to chrome the wheels and sort out some figures and cab... Is it the Holiday buggy that came with a driver with a hat?
    More research to do...

19. walter

walter Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

I don't think the truck had the gold on the hood ( bonnet ) . Your truck looks good. I just looked on y tube and seen the truck with the gold on the hood and without it so its right ether way.

#19 walter, Apr 12, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2014
  20. Steve.t

Steve.t Member

Media:
    Walter, there are soooo many trucks used, all seemingly slightly different!! I keep watching the 'box set' (don't think i'll ever get bored of it) and some have no hood artwork at all, and one truck that does a big jump in the title sequence doesn't even have the bull bar!!!
    Here's how she's looking today...

[​IMG]
    Whip ant and roll bar on.

[​IMG]
    I've still gotta sort out the door mirrors, need to do the covers for the roll bar lights, need to do some sort of interior, chrome the wheels, paint the black bits in the front grill, looking into getting some license plates made, and most importantly figure out where to add one of my highly prized RC Sparks stickers...:seriousbusiness: