1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Choosing a quad copter

Discussion in 'Copters' started by Thwmathue, Sep 12, 2016.

1. Thwmathue

Thwmathue Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Looking to get into drones what would be a good one to get started with. Keep in mind i don't have a lot of capital to spend on one.

2. Mogg2112

Mogg2112 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    I'm into planes myself, but I know many people who are into multirotors. Actually, come to think of it, I do own an Estes ProtoX that someone gave me. It's okay, but I'm just not interested in quads.

What do you want to do with it? Take photos, race, or just putz around the yard? The market is saturated with options depending on your intended use. I recommend taking a look at Horizon's offerings if you're just starting out. The Blade Nanos are pretty nice for the money and a buddy of mine has the Nano QX. Get an aircraft you can easily get parts for, that's the most important thing IMO.

If you've never flown an RC aircraft before, you need to accept that you will crash and break things every now and then, so parts support is important. Unless you get a craft that flies itself, there's a learning curve to overcome, especially with multirotors which are challenging to learn orientation on when starting out.

3. 00whynot

00whynot Moderator
    Staff Member MODERATOR

Media:
    yup. really depends what you want to do with it. I recommend something RTF. You dont want to spend months trying to work the kinks out when you can be ready to go right away.

4. Thwmathue

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    I'm most interested in just puttering around to start with.

Sent from my VK700 using Tapatalk

5. 00whynot

00whynot Moderator
    Staff Member MODERATOR

Media:
    Thwmathue and Mogg2112 like this.
  6. Mogg2112

Mogg2112 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    ^ +1 to that recommendation, I forgot about the Dromidas. My LHS sells tons of those and people seem to really like them. And I agree, definitely get something RTF... those Dromidas look like a great start.

7. Thwmathue

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Thanks the dromida looks like a good place to start.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk