1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Covering a vintage optima buggy to brushless

Discussion in 'Buggy Madness' started by Bigplow, Dec 27, 2017.

1. Bigplow

Bigplow New Member

Looking at getting aa vintage buggy and converting it over to modern electrics probably brushless and Def lipo I want it to compete in speed with a revo brushless just a thought now and it will be a tight budget project is there any problems I will find I am new to rc I do have a couple crawlers but nothing fast

Little Rascle likes this.
  2. Antho11

Antho11 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    I don't think that's a good idea because the Optima buggy wasn't designed with that in mind. Moderate brushless and lipo power is okay, but more than that you'll probably grenade the transmission. Especially trying to get Revo power. You would have better luck getting the rerelease which is more durable and can handle more power.

buttm0nk3y and walter like this.
  3. Gromit

Gromit Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

I agree with Antho. Just restored my own orginal 1988 Turbo Optima to running condition, using some modern electronics. I like the idea that it still does what it was made to do, but i have no intention to compete with modern buggies, even though the re-release should make it easier to get spare parts.
    Considering what else you need to get everything going, I wonder if hopping up an old Optima would really be that much cheaper than a modern RTR buggy. I don't know enough about modern buggies to make any recommedations, but I'm sure you're in good company here to find some good ideas.

4. Bigplow

Bigplow New Member

Ok thanks I am new to brushless so how much power can I put to it

5. Antho11

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    I think you should start with a 2s lipo. I'm not sure what brushless combo would be good for the optima, I'm guessing something similar to what people are putting in the rerelease.

6. Bigplow

Bigplow New Member

Looking at a hobbywing 60a brushless esc looking for a motor to match

7. Bigplow

Bigplow New Member

Looking at a hobbyking 60a brushless system and a racestar waterproof 3000kv motor

8. Antho11

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    If the motor is 540 sized then that combo should be good. I would use a 2s lipo.

9. Bigplow

Bigplow New Member

Sweet yeah its a 540 now I just gotta make a deal on the buggy

Thanks for your help

10. lout

lout Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Just as a warning I grenaded a high performance ball bearing diff on a Tamiya buggy by going 2S lipo and a 3300kv motor. Just so you know, the torque is higher than brushed and you don't know what won't accept the power you're about to put through it.

But you won't know till you try :D

Antho11 and Gromit like this.
  11. buttm0nk3y

buttm0nk3y Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    I upgraded my gold pan RC10 that I built when i was 14 to brushless and lipo. I have a Castle 3300kv running on 2s. It's no revo, but its fun. I can still pull wheelies for about 50' on the right surface. (I also have a brushless revo I run on 4s.. That one will pull wheelies all the way down the street, I've even flipped it a couple times despite having wheelie bars) But honestly, I'm glad I didnt go bonkers with power in it.

Some tips to keep in mind:
    be sure to upgrade from bushings to bearings.
    Raid the parts bin for newer models of your buggy. I have control arms and driveshafts from a B4 on my first gen, as well as 2.2 wheels. I also swapped from the stupid E-clips to the traxxas style screws.
    I still have a TON of slop in my steering, makes handling at speed difficult. I still have no idea how to correct that, but redistributing weight helped out some.