1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Crawler Advice

Discussion in 'Crawler Build Projects' started by Sledge, Aug 12, 2014.

1. Sledge

Sledge New Member

Hi guys, (and Medic, if you read this)
    If I could pick your brains/advice... I have a traxxas Summit (love it), an AX10 Scorpion, and now I'm thinking of getting a scale crawler, as most of my friends are scalers. Had in mind something like the Axial SCX10 Honcho or Jeep Wrangler unlimited. Seem to me to be good bang for bucks, and a tick better than the Tamiyas. Yesterday I saw Medic's vid of the RC4WD TF2 Toyota pick up kit set. The suspension seemed a little stiffer and had less travel than the SCX10's (IMHO), but otherwise a grand machine and top quality, my impression from watching the vid anyhoo - no idea if it's true.
    Question: Any scale crawler you would recommend, anything that stands out and screams 'BUY ME? If you were to buy a scale crawler, what would it be, or would you custom build something?
    Look forward to hearing from you
    Cheers
    Sledge?

2. Y2daT

Y2daT Over Powered RC
    ELiTE MEMBER

Im not the all time crawler expert . But the SCX10 is awesome if u grab a kit then build it up as wanted or needed ... id pick the jeep over the honcho . just because it is less common than the honcho and i like the tires better . both trucks are basically the same. I also like the TF2 by rc 4wd but aftermarket parts are tougher to find for it .
    if u plan to do a budget build then the stock scx 10 drive train is good . if u plan to go big on power the trans will need a steel idler gear and slipper gear . also the drive shafts may twist under heavy loads ..
    the rc 4wd tf2 has a all steel gear 2 speed drive train and metal axles . the drive shafts will give under big loads as well.
    . by big power im talking about 50- 80t brushed setups or brushless setups ... if your budget is real tight maybe get a rtr and beef it up as necessary.
    if you have a larger budget you could consider holmes hobby esc and motors .. Holmes Hobbies LLC or tekin ..Castle ..ect the choice is yours . for beefy drive shafts go with Junfac drive shafts for either truck .

#2 Y2daT, Aug 12, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2014
  3. Sledge

Sledge New Member

4. Dribble

Dribble Super Moderator
    Staff Member SUPER MODERATOR

I have two scx10's and love them both very much. Very capable rigs and so many options for making it how you want. As for the RC4WD TF2 I do not own one but I do own a RC4WD Gelande 2 D90. LOVE IT. Both these rigs are SUPER SCALE. You cant really get much more scale then these. That is why I bought one and spent a very long time and lots of $$$ building it. There not cheap. But I would probably suggest a SCX10 if you want lots of options and something very capable. Super Scale get RC4WD chassis.

5. Sledge

Sledge New Member

Thanks for the info Dribble - tell me - what is the articulation like with the rc4wd - is it as good as the axial? And if you got another rc4wd, what model would you go for?

6. Dribble

Dribble Super Moderator
    Staff Member SUPER MODERATOR

You get scale articulation with RC4WD. Not a ton like you could get on a SCX10. If I was to get another RC4WD it would be the TF2 as I dont have one. If you like I can take articulation photos of all 3 of my trucks.

7. Y2daT

Y2daT Over Powered RC
    ELiTE MEMBER

I like the Rubicon you posted. and the rc 4wd Glendale has links VS the leafs . but only a single speed transmission . ... I really like the rc 4wd trucks but love my honcho and for your first scale/crawler truck I say you cant go wrong with a scx10 .... But you have a AX10 which with a scx10 chassis kit and body of your choice you can convert the ax10 into a scx10 . just a thought .

8. Sledge

Sledge New Member

Yeah if you could post pics of the articulation that would be grand - it'd give me an idea of what can be done.
    I had thought of this one:
    Trail Finder 2 RTR w/Mojave Body Set

But unlike the kitset version, I don't think this once has a two stage gearbox.
    Yeah I had wondered about converting my ax10 into an scx10 - but with what I'd pay for parts I could just as well buy a new one.
    The Rubicon I posted is one of the latest releases from Axial - Mar 2014 I believe. So it should be up to the latest standards.

Would the Gelande rc4wd have better articulation than the tf2 then? Linkages versus leaf springs? The reason I'm so keen on articulation is that I don't want to lose the ability to crawl over tricky terrain. The Axials seem to cope pretty well, but I wasn't so sure about the rc4wd's.

9. Gunagitusuka

Gunagitusuka New Member

Gelande has a little better articulation out of the box...but with softer leaf springs in the TF2 they would almost be the same...Rattle Snake Pass rc
    on YouTube TF2

10. Sledge

Sledge New Member

Anyone have any experience with Vaterra Twin Hammers? Or an idea how they compare with the axials and rc4wd? Just saw an advert for them, its a scale model as well I believe...
    Oh- and I just discovered the Gmade Sawback...

#10 Sledge, Aug 16, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2014
  11. Darkwulf

Darkwulf Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

I absolutely love the SCX10. So much in fact that we now have 5 of them in our little rc family.
    My one suggestion is to really think about what you want to keep stock on it before choosing which kit to buy. If you are planning on upgrades (body,tires,shocks) relatively soon then save some money and go with the Dingo kit.

Definitely get some beadlocks right from the start regardless of which kit you decide to go with.

#11 Darkwulf, Aug 16, 2014
  12. buttm0nk3y

buttm0nk3y Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    The SCX10 is a blast. Of my 7 RCs, it's my favorite... and most scale.
    From what I've seen, most people use the Twin Hammers for bashing instead of crawling... but it seems like a good, solid rig. I bellieve it comes with open diffs in front. The Sawback's capabilities seem on par with the RC4WD rigs to me, but others can probably give better info on that.

13. Sledge

Sledge New Member

Mmmmm . at the moment I'm swaying towards the SCX10™ 2012 Jeep® Wrangler Unlimited C/R Edition . From what I've seen on reports, it seems to be a decent trail truck, with a couple of minor flaws. One of which seems to be the weakness of the steering linkages.
    So if I got it, I'd probably go for an aluminium upgrade kit, if there is such a thing. Sorta like the old AX10 kit set trucks with all aluminium linkages etc.
    I might also look at upgrading the motor to a 55t - I have one flying around here somewhere....
    Other than that, the only thing I'd do is hook up some head and rear lights. It seems to have most everything you'd want otherwise, for a stock standard truck.
    Seems to be good bang for bucks.
    The only reason I'd even considered the RC4WD or Gmade Sawback, were because they had durable running gear - read: metal/aluminium.
    And the dual ratio gearbox was an added bonus.
    That's why I love my Traxxas so much - I can lock/unlock the diffs as I need them, and have a high and low ratio as well. Just a pity it's not scale anything...
    :eek:)

ooooooer - another just found:
    Check this out!
    http://www.integy.com/st_prod.html?p_prodid=17089&p_catid=364&ratesortby=New#.U-_OpWMonRY

Looks promising and is all aluminium...
    Whatchers reckon?

#13 Sledge, Aug 16, 2014
  14. Demon2236

Demon2236 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

[​IMG]

that looks awesome :want:

15. Venom-Hilux

Venom-Hilux Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

I have a twin hammers and a scx10. if you want to crawl and trail the scx10 is a beast. the twin hammers is great for bashing ... not great on rocks ..

16. Sledge

Sledge New Member

Yeah I agree Demon! Bonza Rippa Grouse! (As they say down under...) That in a nutshell is what I'm looking for, with good articulation and climbing abilitiies... My nipples went hard when I found it!
    Urrrrgh ooooooh oooooh!...as Tim Taylor would say...
    Something solid with durable parts... That rig with a decent body would be awesome - naturally I'd need some decent servos and other electricals - but a great base to work with. I can't seem to find any reviews sadly. I'd love to know if it's more than just a pretty face, if you know what I mean.

Thanks for your comment Venom! I had come to that conclusion as well. The axials are king on the rocks. I also read several accounts of the servos for the gear shift and steering giving up after a half dozen uses... not great advertising...

I just found that Traxxas has a scale model as well - the Telluride. The body is nondescript - it'd need to be changed to something more realistic. But the undercarriage is a capable 4x4 with (Whoohooo!) the accustomed waterproofed electronics from Traxxas. That also might be a basis to work from - not sure... I know they climb pretty well and articulation in general is awesome. All plastic however.

Does anyone have any experience with the Integy stuff - or the traxxax telluride?
    I will definitely be getting something - I'll be interested to see what it is in the end, and what mods I'll need to do..

#16 Sledge, Aug 17, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2014
  17. Darkwulf

Darkwulf Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Jang over at UltimateRCNetwork did some youtube videos on making the Telluride a better trail truck.

Un deleted by Jaloos because it posses no infraction. It merely informs people that there are videos on youtube on how to make the telluride a better trail truck.

#17 Darkwulf, Aug 17, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 25, 2014
  18. Sledge

Sledge New Member

Cheers - I'll check it out!

19. Bubba J

Bubba J Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

The Axial SCX is a good choice any of the models but don't forget the NEW Vaterra Ascender it looks really good as well

20. Y2daT

Y2daT Over Powered RC
    ELiTE MEMBER

the Gmade sawback you mentioned has awesome reviews. and every rc youve mentioned is good . the final decision is yours . you have a AX10 already . if you want a more scale rig the rc4wd trucks or saw back will look more scale . a SCX10 can be made extremely capable and can be made to look more scale . Mounting a nice hard body isn't to tough .