1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Crawler Tires

Discussion in 'Rock Crawler Chat' started by Warhog53, Mar 18, 2011.

1. Warhog53

Warhog53 New Member

Hey guys, got my list fairly well set up with my entry level upgrades to my AX10. Wondering about tires, I know I see everyone run the HPI Rock Grabbers. Are they pretty much the cream of the crop? My cousin is running a set of Proline Flatirons on his scorpion right now and they are nice and squishy, and get good traction.

Let me know what your opinions are on some good tires :) Oh. also I know the proline Hammers that come stock on the scorpion are garbage :)

2. Ramstein

Ramstein Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

My opinion is I am waiting to see the new axial ripsaws. they look like a sweet tire for grip and they are nice and soft for crawling.

3. Lazy_B

Lazy_B New Member

i'm using hot rovers with a white foams.. so far so good but i'm going to follow this thread with keen interest so i know what to order in next..:)

4. redneck_pf

redneck_pf New Member

I'm running Proline Super Swamper TSL tires on mine and really liking them so far.

5. Warhog53

Warhog53 New Member

@Ramstein I'm definitely waiting to see more about those too, saw a first run on youtube and they look decent... Would like to see something with a bit more aggressive tread that is also soft and sticky like the proline flat irons

6. Ramstein

ELiTE MEMBER

Though the flat iron tire you can modify by cutting every second or third trend away. That gives you a better bite on the rocks. Though if I remember I think Medic has a vid on modifying flat irons.

7. TNCrawler

TNCrawler Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Yup, Here it is.. :)

[video=youtube;MISvcyzwY78]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MISvcyzwY78[/video]

8. Ramstein

ELiTE MEMBER

ask and you shall receive...HAHAHA

9. momobagodonuts

momobagodonuts Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

In my opinion the rock grabbers are great. They came stock on my crawler king and crawl really good. I also run proline chisels and think they may perfrom a little better but that may be due to the memory foam and type of terrain. My rc4wd crazy crawlers stink on the rocks but are a great mud tire. Big fan of the m3 flatirons, too, but i prefer a taller tire for the added ground clearance.

10. Warhog53

Warhog53 New Member

Man! Good stuff guys, this community is awesome! Blowing my mind daily on the quantity, and also quality of responses. Never expected a video response on how to make my tires better, sure it may be circumstantial but still totally awesome. You guys rock

11. Lazy_B

Lazy_B New Member

that video was great. i got a set of 1.9 flatirons somewhere.... i'm going to try that mod :)

12. Crawler Ted

Crawler Ted Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

What are you looking for ,,A trail tire or a balls out comp tire ?
    99% of the guys in Calgary Crawlers use the Grabbers ,now we all have lots of other tires and try new ones as they come out but come back to the grabbers every time .
    There are a couple guys running the rovers ,,but even they will run grabbers sometimes .
    As for Trail tires ,there are too many choices now ,,The new Ripsaw , Swampers ,chisels are a great mud tire .
    Flatirons are good and look good as well .

13. Warhog53

Warhog53 New Member

Good stuff Ted, lookin' for essentially a comp crawler tire. seems the answer is grabbers :)

14. Scott

Scott Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

It's really funny though. At the Garage, it's Grabbers, and a select few Rovers, and a couple of Boss Claws, but primarily Grabbers as Ted said. Yet, look almost anywhere else and it's Sedona's, Chisel's, Rovers, whatever. But very few Grabbers anywhere else.

15. kingkole

kingkole New Member

iv went from grabbers to rovers to rover ex's and now back to the grabber they just seem to woork best

16. Beastmanh

Beastmanh <b>1!NUX_RUl3$</b>
    ELiTE MEMBER

I ordered grabbers last night :) Can't wait!!

17. MRaxial

MRaxial Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

ive bin wondering the same.. but yeah i think there are a few of us that own alll the tires talked about above(except ripsaw) and ill agree when it comes to teds garage imm goin with grabbers , rovers didnt do to bad either i think they require a stiffer foam for greater success however .

18. Beastmanh

Beastmanh <b>1!NUX_RUl3$</b>
    ELiTE MEMBER

As far as the grabbers go, do most people use the stock foams that come with them, or is there a different foam that people like?

19. Scott

Scott Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

A bunch of the guys up here just order the Crawler Innovations foams. I have used stock foam and been happy. I have also tried a taller and wider foam and like that as well. Losi Boss Claw foam, Proline 2 stage foams. Any combination of this works.

20. TNCrawler

TNCrawler Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

will the grabber tire work on any 2.2 bead lock rim or does it have to be a HPI Rock Eight series rim