1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Custom F150 Raptor Build

Discussion in 'Scale Build Projects' started by lout, Nov 6, 2012.

1. lout

lout Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Thanks.....

I know why the magic smoke escaped... I wired up the new opamp backwards! Note to self. Pin 1 is not pin 8!

Anyhow, went and got more components and wired up a new one. Took my time and ensured that it all looked good. Went back to the 4.7k resistors as that is what I had my hand on.

C2 doesn't seem to be working. When you turn on the battery and supply a light source c2 gets to about 600mV and then goes down as you apply the meter across c2. Measuring between r2 and r3 the voltage goes up and down in response to the triggering of the receiver.

I swapped out the .33uf cap in case that might be the issue. Nup.

So what I have below are some pics of the circuit. Which I hope will show what I have.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. lout

lout Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Okay, I've breadboards it up and as far as I can tell it matches the diagram. I'm getting the same results that IL first got.
    On the opamp If I measure across pins 2 and 3 I'm getting 255mV to 553mV but pin 1 is still not changing at 5.24 volts.....

Here is the bread board which would make more sense than the solder up pcb's....!!
    [​IMG]

The light is on all the time :)

3. drzoo2

drzoo2 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Sorry I haven't been around to help. First evening without a practice or some other time hogging spring activity... ...thanks to some snow.....anyways.

Give me a bit to study the BB. I'll try to get back to you later tonight.

Edit1: As far as I can see from the pictures, it is connected correctly. I went part by part marking the connections on a printout. So far it looks good.....

Edit2:
    Is C1 a 33uF or .33uF? It should be .33 its hard to read the part number in the picture.
    What do you measure across pin 3 to GND at both channel low and high? Two measurements.

#103 drzoo2, Apr 15, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2014
  4. lout

lout Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    No drama .. Real life has a nasty habit of getting in the way.

As far as I'm aware C1 is .33uf. The number is 334K100.

Pin 3 to ground is 320mV and 618mV

5. drzoo2

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Ok...both so far correct. Sorry if my questions are redundant. I figured we could keep working through the BB circuit.

The resistor that is standing up between pin 1 and 2. What value is it? Should be about a 5Kohm. I can't see it in the picture.
    What do you measure across pin 1 to GND at both channels low and high? Two measurements. This should be 6x of what you measured at pin 3 (Low = 1.8v high=3.6v) I think you already said it wasn't changing. Just to confirm.

#105 drzoo2, Apr 16, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2014
  6. lout

lout Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Cool ... glad to know that lots correct so far. Don't worry about checking from the start ... its the same way that I trouble shoot in my day job so I know where your coming from!

Now on to your questions ... the upright resistor is a 5K one (has a green band :D ) and the voltage at pin 1 is 5.25v constant.

7. drzoo2

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    I pulled together enough parts to build a few more. I'm going to breadboard one and see why your having trouble with the amp stage. I just need some spare time to do it....

8. lout

lout Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    I has a update!

I've been running the truck a bit just breaking it in and finding weak points. I've reset the rear suspension to reduce the amount of bump steer and has some success. I've also added little bits of tubing in the shocks to reduce the amount of droop I get on the shocks to stop the driveline locking up. It still needs some tweaks and there is a couple of things I'm not happy with.

But, the update.........

It works!

What works?

The lighting control finally works. I was having a thought about the control system and the only difference I could find between what @drzoo2 designed and what I built was the integrated circuit. So I dropped to mouser.com and attempted to buy a couple for a total of $2.44 .... But at a total of $39 shipping .... Nup.

What can I source locally. More in depth research on the chip i used and the chip that was spec'ed was tht mine ran at 12v and the other was 3to 15 volts. So off to the jaycar catalogue to find something and lo and behold Lm358 has the same voltage specs. Yay! Had to recheck the bread board and get some new capacitors as they got lost in the move, but lo and behold

Now to wire it up and get my spot lights built for it

drzoo2 likes this.
  9. lout

lout Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    So after the recent trail outing I'm not happy with the way the front bumper is. It's too wide for the body as the wheel arches I was going to use didn't pan out and it's also too boxy for trailing in the real world. Needs to be angled up at the edges.

So I'm stealing @drzoo2 's idea and making one out of tubing. I'm using steel brake line as that it what's to hand. This will be flush with the front of the body to increase the front approach angle. I'm also going to be incorporating the front and rear fenders and side steps into the design.

So first up the brackets...

KP48, drzoo2 and Cultus like this.
  10. drzoo2

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Can't wait to see how it turns out!

11. lout

lout Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Me neither! The weekend is tomorrow and my plan is to break the welder out and work on this :)

12. lout

lout Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    drzoo2 likes this.
  13. lout

lout Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Finally got a video together of the picnic day with the family. Part two I'm working on tonight.

drzoo2 and GENERAL DISASTER like this.
  14. lout

lout Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Part two is here: production value on this one is up :)

drzoo2 likes this.
  15. lout

lout Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Well ... Certainl8y has been a little while between updates for this truck! And somethings are going to happen a little out of order, but that's what happens when you have videos queued up on the editing floor!!

So this past weekend it was time to upgrade the transmission case. This is due to the fact that the screws won't actually stay in the case and keep it attached to the transmission plate...

image.jpeg

So I got myself a Yeah Racing alloy case to replace it with from my favourite local seller .... Can you say overnight shipping :). Aussie Post is sometimes pretty good!!!

And yes there is a small twist I the driveshaft but most of the damage is where the drive shaft has rubbed against the transmission late due to to much drop on the shocks. I'll replace it when it snaps :)

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

16. lout

lout Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Well I got a set of internal sprung shocks for fathered and figured I put them on the front to see if I could get the front to work better. Turns out it was nothing to do with the shock. All compressive flex was being performed by the links as they were binding up at normal ride height. *DOH*

So now to relocate the links and try again. If you look the the photo immediately above on the left you can see that the link on the right goes under and hits the upper link. I cant space it inwards as it fouls the drive shaft. Going to end up doing something similar to the right hand side links

17. lout

lout Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    So I got my new shocks filled, sprung and mounted on the front of my truck.

image.jpeg

Now to get a second set for the back :)

drzoo2 likes this.
  18. lout

lout Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Well it's time to say goodbye to the raptor/ranger.

It's been a fun project and I certainly learnt a lot with it. However I did also learn that there were a few things that weren't quite right and ultimately spelt the end for the rig as it sits.

So what went wrong, number one bug bear was that the body was soooooo underscale it wasn't funny and as the body is half the looks it can put a downer on the entire rig. Number two was the new shocks I fitted. Stupid things would not hold oil and I ended up blowing out the two fronts on a trail run.

But why don't you just get a new body and new shocks? I have 3 builds running in parallel at this point in time (well now 2 1/2). One of which is my new scale trail machine. I would rather put the time and effort in to that one.

But it's on hold as I needed to return the axles which I stole back to my son for his dingo chassis which has now grown my 30mm in the wheelbase.

But given I have a new build I repurposed the axles, transmission and some of the links and electronics for my youngest to convert his tonka truck to an RC capable of some trailing.

So, here is a final farewell picture ... gone but not forgotten.

IMG_3040.JPG

Antho11 and walter like this.