1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Danboard's Not-So-New Traxxas Summit (now with Proline Rat Rod body)!

Discussion in 'Monster Trucks' started by Danboard, Jan 7, 2014.

1. Danboard

Danboard Friendly ENFORCER
    SUPER MODERATOR

Proline Extended Body Mounts for Traxxas Summit.

Thanks, my friends!

Minor update: I was able to score some Proline Extended Body Mounts for the Traxxas Summit. It's the same mounting system that [MENTION=2]RCSparks[/MENTION] uses in his Traxxas Reaper! No more body clips!

Here's a closer look at one of the front body mounts. I had to trim most of the material so that I can mount the body as low as possible:

[​IMG]

The actual part that goes through and holds the Lexan body is a threaded screw:

[​IMG]

You use some sort of thumb screw to secure the body to the mounts:

[​IMG]

Voila! Nice, clean look! Hugs the body real tight too:

[​IMG]

I really like how it looks! This may be, to my opinion, the best invention on the RC Planet:

[​IMG]

Body still needs to be painted. It may take a while as I am still waiting for more favourable painting weather. Will update as soon as I can. Thanks for following along!

:haveaniceday:

2. Danboard

SUPER MODERATOR

Hello again, my friends! Just wanted to share some more minor updates that I did to my not-so-new Traxxas Summit.

I really like the Rat Rod, bumper-less look of it at the moment. However, it bugs me no end that I will lose that front bumper. Not only that I feel like I am losing one of the most distinctive feature of the Summit, but I also lose the LED lights. I know, I can mount those lights to the ProLine body's headlamps, but that would be a pain to do and I always have to go to the trouble of connecting and disconnecting the quick-release plug of the LEDs if I decided to go down that road.

In other words, I really want to retain that front bumper. However, the front grille of the Rat Rod body drops so low that there's no way the bumper can be retained:

[​IMG]

I found a way, though.

What I did was I switched the front bumper mount, which was quite short and would not clear that front grille, with the ones from the rear, which extended further out. I then flipped it so that instead of angling up, it was angling down, moving the bumper lower:

[​IMG]

It was a difficult decision, but I had to trim an inch away from the lower lip of the Rat Rod front grille so that it would fit. Here's how it looks after I trimmed the material off:

[​IMG]

A view from head on. Now I was able to still retain that bumper yet still mount the body as low to the chassis as possible:

[​IMG]

Here's the view of the rear bumper. That's the front bumper mount, flipped around as well:

[​IMG]

Painting still pending while I wait for warmer weather. Thanks for following along and let me know what you think of the mod that I did!

3. FluxAscender

FluxAscender Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

That is a SICK look, and a clever solution. Can't wait to see this thing painted. Just wish that body fit the Savage Flux... oh well.

4. Danboard

SUPER MODERATOR

Thanks!

A bit of an update. I ordered a custom-painted Proline Rat Rod body from Ebay two weeks ago (as of this writing). A bit pricey, but I am hoping it would look really great, especially with the colour that I chose for it. I am still patiently waiting for it to be completed and delivered. I sure am getting restless waiting for it.

Meanwhile, I took some pictures of the current spare unpainted body I have right now, just to see how looks:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I really like how I was able to keep the front and rear bumpers. It probably would look much better without the front bumper, but I really want to retain those front LED lights as is.

Will update as soon as that custom-painted body gets delivered. Thanks for looking!

5. summitnut

summitnut Super Moderator
    SUPER MODERATOR

Media:
    Are those the Proline Rock rage tires?trying to sneak those past me. Lol

6. Danboard

SUPER MODERATOR

Yup! Proline Rock Rage, my friend! I was going for the Trenchers as we discussed over PM, but thought otherwise when I saw these. They closely match the stock Canyon tires, which was the look that I wanted.

I might also get a set of Proline Road Rage in the future for a more street-looking Rat Rod.

7. Jabbo

Jabbo Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Those tires do look grippy

8. Danboard

SUPER MODERATOR

I haven't gone around to testing them. My initial impressions are that they are not as sticky and not as soft to the touch as the stock Canyons. Size-wise, they are very close.

:)

9. summitnut

SUPER MODERATOR

Media:
    They should soften up the trenchers did

10. Danboard

SUPER MODERATOR

AH! Thanks for the info! I shall look forward to running these then.

:)

11. Danboard

SUPER MODERATOR

Hello all! Just a bit of an update on my Not-So-New-To-Me Summit.

I ordered a custom-painted Proline Rat Rod shell from a guy on eBay. It's supposed to come with some wicked flame work and all that cool stuff! Unfortunately, after waiting for more than a month my order went unfulfilled as the seller became ill. I had to cancel my order and ask for a refund. I am now back to square one and have to resort to painting the body myself. I look forward to doing it, if only it was not Winter here at my neck of the woods as of this writing!

It sure broke my heart that the guy could not fulfill my order. Waiting for more than a month for that shell and learning that it was not completed surely made me really, really unhappy. At least I can use the refund money for something else. Planning on getting some road-worthy street tires for my planned Summit Rat Rod look, maybe a set of Proline Road Rage. We shall see!

Thanks for following along! I shall update again as soon as I get things going once more.

12. Greenie

Greenie VillAge iDioT
    ELiTE MEMBER

aah, what a poo. sorry to hear dude!

oh well, nothing a new set of tires and some white walling cant fix!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    :B:

13. Danboard

SUPER MODERATOR

Traxxas Summit with ProLine Rat Rod Body.

Thanks, Greenie!

After getting over the frustration of not getting that custom-painted body from that eBay seller, I decided to paint the shell that I have with me. The weather warmed up a bit so I was able to do some painting. It's not much, but at least I now have a body for my Summit that I can do some runs with!

Presenting my Traxxas Summit with the Proline Rat Rod body:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I wanted to keep her simple by choosing a white colour. I wanted to do it in black, but that seems to be an obvious choice so I went in a different direction and painted her white:

[​IMG]

I christen thee, "PRISTINE"! Born from the bitter burning cold of this wicked Winter we just had in Alberta:

[​IMG]

Running video soon to follow once I get the street tires that I wanted to put on this rig. Until then, thanks for following along!

14. summitnut

SUPER MODERATOR

Media:
    In my opinion I think the truck looks better with a simpler design.
    More like a ratrod should look, like it was done at home in your garage.but that is just my taste
    Which when it comes to someone else's truck means nothing.
    So to sum up the rambling I like it!

15. Danboard

SUPER MODERATOR

Thanks, my friend! Glad you liked it! That was actually what I was going with.

More pics while it is still clean and fresh:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Danboard

SUPER MODERATOR

[​IMG]

And finally, the badge that I always wear with pride:

[​IMG]

Thanks for following along!

17. walter

walter Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

good job the white looks good

18. Danboard

SUPER MODERATOR

Thanks, [MENTION=9658]walter[/MENTION]! Glad you liked it!

Some more updates on my Not-So-New-To-Me Traxxas Summit. I scored me a set of Proline Road Rage tires to give my Summit a street look. I've always wanted to get a set of these road tires for on-road driving. Here's how she is with her street look:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Proline Road Rage is slightly smaller in diameter compared to my off-road/crawling tire set of Proline Rock Rage. I really like how they look:

[​IMG]

I was still able to keep my old personalized scale license plate from my previous rig, so to the rear of Pristine she goes:

[​IMG]

Thanks for following along!

19. Danboard

SUPER MODERATOR