1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dodge New Bright monster truck upgrades?

Discussion in 'RC Chat, Tutorials, Ideas, Requests, Etc' started by DirtTrackRipper105, Jan 1, 2016.

1. DirtTrackRipper105

DirtTrackRipper105 New Member

Media:
    Hello everyone! This is my first post here so bare with me. :haveaniceday:

I've had a few RC's in my childhood and some are still around but this new bright dodge monster truck is the most recent addition to my collection. For a new bright I have to admit it's a decent little rig, no idea on the scale but I'd say its 1:6 maybe?

Anyways I got it at goodwill on the cheap threw an EZ Tech 9.6v I had lying around in it and gave it a go, drives and runs pretty good for what it is. It has proper springs with decent articulation front and rear although the front tires rub on the front springs I'm not to worried about it as the front springs are pretty stiff. What surprised me is that on the rear axle it has a high and low gear range switch, never seen a new bright truck with one so its surprised me, also has a proper diff as well.

Now down to the matter at hand, when I took it out on its test run I could see it preferred low gear and cruised around nicely and it definitely prefers low gear. Then when I put it in high gear and let it run it didn't do to bad, acceleration was proper slow and you could hear the motor was having to work a fair bit to get up to speed. It got up to a good running pace but that was about it.

To me the gearing they put in it seems good enough for some fun trail running but a stronger motor is a big must, so I was wondering if anyone has put a stronger motor into one of these MOA new bright monster trucks and if so what one would you recommend? I want to make this my first proper trail rig and run it till it can't run no more then do a nice hobby grade new bright body build.

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated! I'll get some pic's up soon as I can.:Grin:

2. scalemadness

scalemadness Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Oh boy if its a large scale body i personally would keep that body toss the chassis in the garbage get myself an scx10 or ascender and get to work! Seriously though i highly doubt its worth the time or money trying to upgrade it the plastic gears can barely handle the power out of the box and the stock electronics more than likely cant really handle much more motor so start saving and do some research on other newbright body builds and planning good luck

3. drzoo2

drzoo2 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Monkeypiarat and scalemadness like this.
  4. darkside0914

darkside0914 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    I did this a few years ago for a friend of my nephews, put a 45 t motor in a 6th scale newbright ,and it didn't last 2 runs. on the 1st he blew the gears, so I replaced them, on the second the electronics fried. after that i'm not sure what he did with it. sure wish I could've talked him out of the ford truck body. so I have to agree with everyone else strip it, toss the chassis and build an scx10 or custom chassis trail rig, save your self a lot of grief.

5. DirtTrackRipper105

Media:
    I am planning on doing a proper built with the body but for now I just want to tinker with the current chassis and see just what it can do, find myself a motor the same size as the stock, get it hooked up and thrash on it. then put the body aside for a later date when funds permit. I also have a new bright jeep wrangler that I can get the body off of.

6. Y2daT

Y2daT Over Powered RC
    ELiTE MEMBER

7. Y2daT

Y2daT Over Powered RC
    ELiTE MEMBER

A tamiyia CC-01 chassis will be a closer fit .. for the body you have . you have approximately a
    7-3/4 " wheel base ... the cc01 is 7.4" ( scx10's come in different wheel bases but the short wheel base is 245mm or 9.65") now it may still be possible to make a scx10 work . but you will need homemade links .... and may need clockable Chubs to prevent drive shaft binding .....
    the stock drive shafts can be cut down to fit . needing links from the beginning i would get a rtr model like the deadbolt ... and rebuild it to fit your awesome body .
    with the motor idea ( i have no clue where to find a matching pinion )

8. DirtTrackRipper105

Media:
    If possible I was going to reuse the pinion, just need to figure out what other motor would fit.

The tamiya toyota land cruiser huh? would make this a nice trail truck but I quite like the monster truck look, but a scale rig would be nicer I suppose. I plan on having this truck be my first trail/offroad truck then have the jeep I have be my first crawler.

9. Y2daT

Y2daT Over Powered RC
    ELiTE MEMBER

the tamiyia is great for scale but the scx10 will have a bit better performance

10. darkside0914

darkside0914 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    are you sure about the cc01 wheel base everywhere i've looked says it has a 9.9 inch wheel base. I was thinmking he'd need more of a mini crawler like the maxstone 16, the everest16, ecx temper or veterra slickrock.

11. DirtTrackRipper105

Media:
    Yeah when I went on tamiya's site it said the cc01 had a 252mm wheel base, which is 9.92 inches. And if possible I'd like to have it be a nice scale trail truck, something that I can go trailing and offroading with but still have plenty of speed to race around.

12. Y2daT

Y2daT Over Powered RC
    ELiTE MEMBER

Dang i think you are right Darkside i found bad info somewhere ... I googled the wheel base before the first reply and converted the mm to inches but the mm number i had was like 188mm .
    but got this info from a tamiyia forum
    The CC-01 is available in three wheelbases:

Short wheelbase (242mm):

49490 Mitsubishi Pajero Metaltop Wide

57701 XB Mitsubishi Pajero Rally Sports
    57782 XB Mitsubishi Pajero Metaltop Wide

57815 XB Mercedes-Benz Unimog 406 Series U900
    57818 XB Ford Bronco 1973
    57843 XB Mercedes-Benz Unimog 406 Series U900 Orange version

58132 Mitsubishi Pajero Metaltop Wide
    58141 Jeep Wrangler

58152 Isuzu Mu

58166 Isuzu Mu Type X

58249 Mitsubishi Pajero (never released kit version of 57701)

58457 Mercedes-Benz Unimog 406 Series U900
    58469 Ford Bronco 1973

58579 LandFreeder

84071 Jeep Wrangler

Medium wheelbase (252mm):

57810 XB Toyota Land Cruiser 40

58445 Toyota Land Cruiser 40

58564 Toyota Land Cruiser 40 Black Special

Long wheelbase (267mm):

57877 XB Toyota FJ Cruiser
    58178 Honda CR-V
    58324 Volkswagen Race Touareg
    58588 Toyota FJ Cruiser

13. Y2daT

Y2daT Over Powered RC
    ELiTE MEMBER

measure the width of the body ...... a mini or 1:12 scale may be a better option

14. scalemadness

scalemadness Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

That looks to be closer to a 380 size motor

Y2daT likes this.
  15. Y2daT

Y2daT Over Powered RC
    ELiTE MEMBER

what i was thinking ...on motor size

16. DirtTrackRipper105

Media:
    body is 5-3/4" wide.

17. Y2daT

Y2daT Over Powered RC
    ELiTE MEMBER

this will make it look like it does now http://www.towerhobbies.com/products/hpi/hpid0973.html
    it is large wheel base wise but high lifted its ok ...
    The losi 1:18 high roller is 2wd pan style chassis ... it is about 0.5" shorter then the wheel base but could be modified to fit to make a scale looking truck . http://www.losi.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=LOSB0207
    either of these are name brand so there will be many parts avalibile ...
    also spotted a HSP (discount brand ) crawler that may be usable but im not sure on quality ????

18. DirtTrackRipper105

Media:
    Love the look of the wheely king! I know what I'm going with once funds permit.