1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does brand truly matter?

Discussion in 'Short Course' started by crispy, Dec 15, 2014.

1. crispy

crispy Member

I had my mind made up that I'm going nitro! Tired of charging batteries. Anyway, I thought I had my mind made up on buying a 1/10 traxxas slayer also. The cost is about $460.00. As I looked further into nitro some other brands started showing up. Exceed offers the 1/8 scale for $300 and redcat racing for less than that! The only differences that I could find is traxxas has the e-z start. Is that worth $200 more dollars? I'm just bashing. I'm not racing anyone other than my boys. I want the most for my dollar. Any brand advice?

2. Magnat007

Magnat007 Proud SCX10 Owner
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Like with all RC you get what you pay for.
    I started with Nitro and went to Electric... You have no IDEA how annoying it was to retune when ever mother nature decided to drop a few degrees causing endless fun with killing the pull starters and fine tuning the engine with the low and high speed adjusters aswell as Clutches and the prodigious rate of how short a set of tyres last but I digress...

Check and see how easy it is to get access to essentials like Glow plugs and suspension arms and clutches..
    The more well known brands like HPI and Traxxas maybe easier to get parts for.

3. Y2daT

Y2daT Over Powered RC
    ELiTE MEMBER

most serious racers will remove the electric start to shave weight. but for bashing and beginner nitro guys it is much simpler to start the motor with the electric start

4. Monkeypiarat

Monkeypiarat Worlds formost authority on my own opinion
    ELiTE MEMBER

I think that for the sake of comparison of,,,, if the brand truly matters ,,, the answer depends on the brands that you compare . ,,,,if you are going to compare traxxas with exceed and redcat then yes the brand does matter because ...
    IMO...traxxas is not in the same class as exceed or redcat ,,, but if you were going to compare name brands that are
    on the same quality level ,,, I have heard good things about redcat racing but I don't think exceed has proven themselves to me that I would give them more than an entry level rating...
    go to the traxxas site and look at the parts descriptions and see the information that is given ,,,,, then ..
    go to s site that primarily sells exceed and see if there is a parts description where information is given..

5. crispy

crispy Member

I emailed my NEW and local rc shop and asked them why traxxas cost is so much greater. He replied with maybe its because traxxas is here in the states and is one of the biggest pushers for rc that come to respect. I'm sure this is true, not to mention im sure the quality is probly better as well. I think I will save my self some dollars with a compromise. I'm going with the traxxas 1/10 2wd. This way I can still support the new hobby shop and still get a good product. Its a little hard to swallow because its $379.00 vs $169.00 for exceed. I'm banking on service after the sale will be worth the difference.

6. BigMike81

BigMike81 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

I don't think you can go wrong with traxxas, they stank behind their product and have a ton of part support so you will never be without the part you want.:haveaniceday:
    Its definitely worth the cost, you'll pay more up front but save in the long run.

#6 BigMike81, Dec 15, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2014
  7. Monkeypiarat

Monkeypiarat Worlds formost authority on my own opinion
    ELiTE MEMBER

it's funny how things work out.
    looking back from what i know now to what i knew 3 years ago when i first started rc cars.
    i am glad that i started with an entry level rc as i am not sure that i would have learned as much if i started out with a more
    advanced rc,,,,,
    i started with the maxstone 10(whitch is my most favorite rc)
    then i got the maxstone 5 (big 4x4 small price)
    then i got a tamiya df01 rally car (looking for somthing with more speed)
    then i got my traxxas bandit vxl (for my money the best i could get)
    back to looking back ,,,, if i knew then what i knew now ,,,,,,,,,,,,
    if if's and butts were fruits and nuts we would all have a merry christmas,,,,,,,,,
    if a frog had wings he would not bump his butt when he hops.....
    if i had bought the traxxas bandit first ,,,,i would have never bought the maxstone 10 and 5 ,,when i got the crawlers i would have ended up buying axiel brand crawlers.,,,,if i had bought the bandit first i would have missed out on what i have now,,,
    its like i tell my daughter ....with all the mistakes and things i have missed out on in life because of bad decisions,,,,
    to be here right now and to have what i have right now,,,,to look in your eyes and say i am truly greatful....
    i would do it all again just the same.,,,,when you dont know... being able to know what you are comparing can make a big differance in the outcome...
    it is the times when you know better or are looking back that you will be able to tell the differance.
    so in comparison my traxxas was the best quality rc that i purchased..
    the maxstone have given me more quality of life.,,,
    speaking of quality of life what traxxas 2wd are you getting ,,,,i think you made an excellent decision.

#7 Monkeypiarat, Dec 15, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2014
  8. chetmotox

chetmotox Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Brand does matter.

I have done this with electric RCs and the cheap stuff always bites you later. I bought an Exceed crawler, had fun, went to get parts and couldn't get them for literally 6 months. And the quality is very low grade hobby quality. I bought an Axial SCX10 and have put it through its paces and it holds up way better AND I can get parts for it within days instead of months.

A little while later, decided to try something faster so bought a Turnigy Desert Buggy, had been looking at the Slash but decided it was too expensive. So I bought the buggy and it literally wouldn't last a day without breaking or coming apart. Finally got sick of fixing it all the time and bought the Slash. Haven't had hardly any issues except usual maintenance and I beat the (enter any expletive of your choice here) out of it. And, if it breaks, I know parts are simple to get.

I've debated an Exceed drifter because I wouldn't be getting jumped, rolled or beat on too bad(and I'm not 100% if I'll get into drifting too much) but there would be no way I would buy an Exceed(or Redcat for that matter) that will be jumped and bashed. If you are taking it super easy on them or alright with doing a ton of work, then go right ahead but I would seriously go with the Slayer because they are proven, have tons of parts support, and a reputable brand. Exceed and Redcats are fun and I have no issue with them as "slow and easy" going rigs or as an intro to the hobby but I have my doubts on them holding up at any speed or for any bashing whatsoever.

9. crispy

crispy Member

[​IMG]exceed actually makes a good looking truck. Nitrorc is where I found them. But........after much thought and wanting to support my local shop I decided on this...[​IMG]im sure its a good decision.

10. Magnat007

Magnat007 Proud SCX10 Owner
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    You wont be dissapointed..
    Traxxas has a larger fan based so more help is available online.

11. BigMike81

BigMike81 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Agree totally with what he said.

12. Antho11

Antho11 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Good choice! You really do get what you pay for! Better part support, customizability, durable and so on.

13. derkaness

derkaness New Member

Really the RC is what you make of it. You could get a low end basher and with some know-how, turn it into a racer. But as mentioned before, different manufacturers have better part support. Not to mention the more popular that particular model becomes, the more 3rd party companies like RC4WD will jump on the bandwagon and make parts for it. When I buy an RC, I look into part availability before I actually buy it.

Hpi, Traxxas, Losi, these are some with amazing support for their products. Off-brand manufacturers stick to one type of distribution method, mostly online, and then it's up to the site to keep those parts stocked. Like Exceed and NitroRCX.com. NRCX is ALWAYS out of stock of everything. And Hobbyking has trouble keeping things for their exclusives in stock too, or having a closer warehouse that has the parts.