1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AXIAL Dual Motor SCX10

Discussion in 'Scale Truck Chat' started by BlackPhoenix, Jun 3, 2012.

1. BlackPhoenix

BlackPhoenix Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Hey guys since I am making a trailer for my SCX10 to pull my EXO on I figured I might as well give it dual motors. Now I am not 100% sure on this so be prepared to answer some of my questions. Do I need to get a second ESC if I am doing duals or do I only need 1? Do I need to change my gear ratio? Or can I just keep the stock gear ratio and get a second pinion for the second motor? And when I do this I am going to go with 35t instead of 27t and what motor do you guys recommend? Thanks guys. :)

#1 BlackPhoenix, Jun 3, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2012
  2. imtowman

imtowman <b>RCSparks Addict</b> <br />
    ELiTE MEMBER

The evx2 in the summit or brushed emaxx will run two motors.

3. Azrayel74

Azrayel74 Dr. Madness

Im currently running dual 55T Axial motors in my SCX-10 although im running mine thru a Traxxas emaxx trans. I have run duals on an axial transmission as well.. and ive run with single and dual esc's... so the choice is really yours. You CAN run 2 motors from the AE-2 ESC.. im running mine in parallel... so i had to go up to dual 55T's because the ESC will see dual motors in parallel as half thier rated turns.. aka.. dual 55T = 27T at the ESC... This is just how im running things. I have run the dual 55's with dual AE-2's as well. Another option is getting a dual motor esc... the EVX-2 is an option... but not one i would recommend as the traxxas esc's really dont like going slow at all.. Some good options would be the Holmes Hobbies TorqueMaster :Holmes Hobbies / Holmes Bikes :: Motor Speed Controllers :: Holmes Hobbies TorqueMaster BR-XL
    or Team Novak M2 Dig Dual Brushed ESC : M2 Dig Dual Brush ESC. I hope this helps.. and if you have any questions.. please feel free to ask.. ive been messing with dual motor setups in SCX-10s for almost a year now and have done a couple of different variations to try new things out.

4. BlackPhoenix

ELiTE MEMBER

Ok so really if I used 1 esc they would both be like 17.5 turn motors then? Is that correct? And also how do you run motors in parallel? Is it pretty much the same as dual batteries like in my merv?

5. Azrayel74

Azrayel74 Dr. Madness

The way i wired mine up.. with the AE-2 ESC, was this. I have all of my motors setup with Traxxas Female plugs... < i use Deans for my batteries>, I removed the plug from my 2nd motor.. and soldered the positive wire from my 2nd motor.. to the positive terminal on the first motor.. and same thing with the negative. Also something to look at.. the AE-2 ESC.. has a 19T motor limit... so running dual 35T would put you below that limit.. so you might want to look at dual 45T. Some more information for you here to look at, and the basis of my choice of using parallel setup : How to-dual motors

6. BlackPhoenix

ELiTE MEMBER

Ok Thanks alot Azrayel. I will think about it a bit more and decide if I really need it or not. Thanks :)

7. Azrayel74

Azrayel74 Dr. Madness

I think you will find the 35T has more than enuf torque for pulling something like the EXO on a trailer without problems .. i would try it out and see how it works before making major changes... i run dual motors mostly because im a bit crazy.. not because i NEED it...

8. EdWRX

EdWRX Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Is dual 55T setup, only for crawling (not pulling) an overkill? On an SCX10

Sent from my Galaxy S II using Tapatalk

#8 EdWRX, Jun 3, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2012
  9. Crankbait

Crankbait Think...
    ELiTE MEMBER

I run dual 27t in one of mine with a HH BRXL like Azrayel talked about.
    I wired mine a little different.
    motor wires.png
    I just spliced both motor leads together and ran them to the
    Esc not sure if it's the ideal way, but it works.

10. Azrayel74

Azrayel74 Dr. Madness

Ive run dual 55T's in one of my trail rigs.. for quite awhile actually... not crawling, not pulling.. just tooling down trails.. i run this setup because i like the speed and power... it runs about twice as fast as i walk comfortably... and has enuf torque to climb up just about anything i can get traction on... like most things in this hobby.. its a personal preference more than a hard and fast rule. And as i said before.. im just a bit crazy and tend to do most everything i build with a bit of overkill :-D

11. EdWRX

ELiTE MEMBER

I asked mostly because I bought a 55T motor from rc4wd, but I'm just curious of how it would run on a dual setup. The thing that held me down was having to buy another ESC, but with that wiring diagram, it gets easier, just buy another motor, pinion gear, dual motor mount, and done!!!!

12. Azrayel74

Azrayel74 Dr. Madness

Im quite happy with a dual 55T setup.. when i was running mine off an axial transmission, i believe i was using a 87t spur and 22t pinions to maintain some decent speed...

13. EdWRX

ELiTE MEMBER

Good to know, it must have some mad torque!!! Damn that scx10 of mine is a money pit hahaha.

14. NorthwestRC

NorthwestRC Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

dual motor question

i cant find it anywhere ( doent mean its not there) but i am considering a dual motor set up, do i need dual escs? or can the stock axial esc hand it?

15. BlackPhoenix

ELiTE MEMBER

16. Azrayel74

Azrayel74 Dr. Madness

Im going to merge this thread to the one BlackPhoenix started a few weeks ago to make findin answers for everyone a bit easier.. Enjoy.

17. BustedFlippa

BustedFlippa New Member

I am setting up dual motor on my SCX10 using 2 27-T motors and 2 AE-2 ESCs to start with. I have a Futaba 4PL radio due here tomorrow. Question is what is the suggested pinion and spur gear set up for, towing a trailer, nice torque and some speed. I don't need anything crazy in either aspect right now. Just would like to know if anyone could suggest a combo for a basically a even combo of torque and speed.

Thanks for any help or suggestions.

18. Crankbait

Crankbait Think...
    ELiTE MEMBER

Welcome to the forums!
    I run dual 27t motors with a Holmes Hobbies BRXL and use the stock gearing that the Honcho comes with and to me it's just right.

19. BustedFlippa

BustedFlippa New Member

Thank You for the fast reply. I will just try the stock size set them and see how it works. Later I am going to bump the motors to either 45T or 55T.

20. wraith44

wraith44 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

I was running dual tekin 35t motors off dual traxxas xl5's off a 7.4v 5800mah lipo and had 30t pinions on a 80t spur, but was having problems with the motors(got them full of mud lol), had good speed and great torque, have now swapped out the 35t tekin a for a couple of 27t axials with 27t pinions and it's pretty close to the same speed and torque as the tekins