1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electric motor sizes question ..................

Discussion in 'Motors & Transmissions' started by GENERAL DISASTER, Jun 15, 2015.

1. GENERAL DISASTER

GENERAL DISASTER Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Hi, i haven't been into RC for about 24 years or so and still have a pretty good grasp on what it took to RC then. My question is that i am going to buy either the Maxstone 8 or the Maxstone 5 and i was wanting to look into replacement/upgrade motors. Are all the electric motors still all the same size or do i need to find size specific ? They all look the same as they used to except for those brushless monsters. But even they look the same diameter. I am wondering if the stock ESC/ESC's will handle two good 35t motors, will it handle lipo batteries, and the brushed motors are the ones that can get wet right ?

Ok that was more than one question LOL ..............................Thanx, GD ..............

#1 GENERAL DISASTER, Jun 15, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2015
  2. Antho11

Antho11 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Welcome to the forum! Most 1/10 scale motors are 540 size. Most 1/8 scale motors are 550 size. Brushed motors are more tolerant when it comes to being run through water. You can waterproof a brushless motor if you want to. I don't know much about the Maxstone so I'm sorry I can't help you.

GENERAL DISASTER likes this.
  3. GENERAL DISASTER

ELiTE MEMBER

Thanx Antho11 ! just to be clear I am just not wanting to burn anything up if it goes thru damp grass of occasional shallow puddle. I lost to many rc's to dampness along time ago. One day after I get used to things again I will go to a creek or stream.

4. Antho11

Antho11 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Damp grass won't really ruin a motor unless it become significantly wet. Small puddles may cause damage to a brushless motor that isn't waterproof. Brushless motors also tend to have more power and can handle higher voltage. The decision is up to you because all you would have to do is waterproof it.

5. GENERAL DISASTER

ELiTE MEMBER

80's electronics were so sensitive LOL. The first time I saw Medic heading towards some water I was like ..... well this video was short !! WOW he driving thru water !!!!!!!!! ............... but like I said to start off with I am not that worried. I believe the Maxstone from what has been put out there is waterproof right out of the box.but I am sure I will get tired of the stock motors pretty quickly if I know me ............... thanx again man !!

6. rcnut'14

rcnut'14 certified rc addict
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    im not sure what ur trying to say with the 35t tekin. are u asking if the stock esc can take a brushless tekin, brushed tekin, or 2 motors?

the ansewer is that the stock esc can only handle 1 motor, not 2. and it can only do brushed. not brushless.

as for lipos, it should handle lipos IF u stay with 2s AND put an LVC on it.

be aware that lipos take A LOT more maintenance and care than nimh. and they aren't waterproof, unless u get a hard case lipo( even then, it wouldn't be a bad idea to plastidip it).

Magnat007 likes this.
  7. GENERAL DISASTER

ELiTE MEMBER

Thanx ! then I guess the Maxstone has two ESC's because it is an MOA setup. I didn't specify Tekin as they are pricey. My question about a 35T motor was if the stock ESC/ESC's could handle that kind of and upgrade and I had figured out I couldn't use the ESC with a brushless. Thanx for the info on the batteries I was not aware about the lipos not being waterproof although I had picked up they were more work................ Thanx again man !!

8. GENERAL DISASTER

ELiTE MEMBER

LOL I did say brushless ........... FIXED !!! ........................ sorry ..................

9. Y2daT

Y2daT Over Powered RC
    ELiTE MEMBER

well If you want to play in mud and water ... Stick to brushed motors ... I prefer 10.00-20.00 motors so they dont matter to me ... and for esc's it's best to get factory water proof ones.
    If you must have a awesome esc and motor check out Holmes hobby ..http://holmeshobbies.com/Holmes-Hobbies-TorqueMaster-BR-XL.html. they are pricey but awesome :)
    ( irun the HH brxl esc with cheap motors) but in reality a AE5 esc from axial will do the job fine.
    IF you are after going brushless on a rig check out the Castle SV3 combo's . they are factory water proof and cost around 100.00 for the combo .
    as for the batteries Old school NIMH is the no worry method . water doesn't hurt them .
    Lipo's waterproof-ness varies between manufactures . If there is a circuit board that water can reach then no they are not .... but some brands do not use circuit boards . they do fine in wet conditions.
    However if any lipo gets damaged to where the cells are cracked or torn ... it is a fire hazard ..... if you were to get it wet then. the water will make a chemical reaction fire that is intense enough to melt the rc and boil the water from the puddle .

10. GENERAL DISASTER

ELiTE MEMBER

Great info sir ! Lipos sound like a lot of extra care but I guess they provide more power and have longer run times ? I am not worried about lipos atm anyway. I am just wanting to get my foot in the door again. That's why I chose the budget minded Maxstone series. Good info on the motors too. I wasn't looking at competitions so cheap more powerful replacements would suit me just fine. So for the 1/8 and 1/5 scale I am looking for a 550 size replacement motor ?

11. rcnut'14

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    yes, lipos have a little more voltage( which means more power) and more punch. they also have longer run times.

yes, I believe most 1/8 scales use 550 size motors. im not sure about 1/5 scale. you could always go to exceed's site and look.

12. darkside0914

darkside0914 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    the stock maxstone 5 or 8 esc will handle 2 550 35t motors . I run 2 27t on mine with no issues, I agree with what was said about needing a low voltage alarm if you run lipo, as far as I know the stock esc does not have a lvc, and will not handle more than a 2 cell. two more important upgrades you should look at with either rig is 1. alloy gears for the diffs, they have plastic and strip easily. heres a link to the only ones that will fit http://www.integy.com/st_prod.html?p_prodid=7032&p_catid=150&ratesortby=New#.VYJ-oTrbKLN 2. a higher strength servo. the one they come with will barely do the job on flat ground put it against rocks , mud ,ect and it will fail pretty quick.

13. GENERAL DISASTER

ELiTE MEMBER

Thank you sir. Trying to remember all the things that are weak points and I had forgot about the servo ! So are you saying the stock esc will handle lipos as well as the NimH ? .........................

14. rcnut'14

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    yes, as long as it is a 2 cell lipo, and you add an lvc( low voltage cutoff)

15. GENERAL DISASTER

ELiTE MEMBER

Ok thanx for the info ............... !

16. GENERAL DISASTER

ELiTE MEMBER

Well thanx for your time guyz ! After much deliberation and more research i found Exceeds Facebook page. It is not pretty and nearly all unhappy. So i guess instead of jumping on the BUDGET bandwagon i am going to have to differ to wiser men here and save up for something with better customer servive and replacement/upgrades that are actually in stock. It's a bummer really because i was ready to drop $200 next month on it. But i guess that means in August i should be able to spend $400 to get alot better something just to have fun with. Either that or invest it into my racing rig for iRacing ......................... but like i said, thanx guys you gave me answers i couldn't find anywhere on my own that actually made sense ...............GD ........

17. darkside0914

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    ill make a suggestion and you can go with it or not, up to you, but you should look into the ecx line of trucks, they have 3 different styles available in 2wd and 4wd, a short course truck, a monster truck and a stadium truck. the 2wd versions go for 180 shipped and the 4wd versions go for 240 shipped. many people I've spoken to, myself included, feel they are as good as the more expensive brands like traxxas, and they have plenty of available upgrades. even medic suggested these trucks as a good basher or first rig, and they become a beast with a few upgrades. heres a video of my 2wd torment with a castle sidewinder 3 combo and 3 cell lipo

18. GENERAL DISASTER

ELiTE MEMBER

That looks like fun which is what I am after. Thanx man I will look those up right now ! ................

19. GENERAL DISASTER

ELiTE MEMBER

Very cool indeed sir ! I just came back from their page and they have upgrade parts available right there in house too. I think I will order the Blue and Silver one and check back with you guys on this next month to tell you how much fun I am having ! ................ You know there is a skate park two blocks from my house LOLOL .......... I may be upgrading just to replace parts LOL ...................

20. darkside0914

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    that's what its all about enjoying your rc, if you can, get some video so we can enjoy it too, especially if you take it to that skate park.