1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ESC and Motor Scx10 2

Discussion in 'General Electronics' started by jdrada18, Aug 6, 2016.

Tags:
  1. jdrada18

jdrada18 Member

Hello, I'm looking for esc and brushed motor recommendations for a scx10 2 build. I am looking for something water proof. I will only be trailing so I would like a good amount of wheel speed to bash around a bit. Im still in college so the cheaper the better.

2. jdrada18

jdrada18 Member

So i previously believed that a brushed motor would be best to take through the mud and water but I just watched a holmes hobby video saying the he would recommend brushless for use with water. If anyone has a opinion on the mater can you please give me your 2 cents. What kind of motor and esc do you use in your trial truck? brushed? what turn? brushless? what kv? what esc are you pairing it with?

3. drzoo2

drzoo2 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Holmes offers waterproofing. Have you seen his videos on brushed and brushless motors in an SCXII?

4. jdrada18

jdrada18 Member

yes i watched a few, he was the first person who recommended brushless for the water that I've seen. Everyone else seemed to say brushed is best for water.

5. Magnat007

Magnat007 Proud SCX10 Owner
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    If your on a tight budget drop in a Hobbywing 1060 ESC and a Snow panther or RC4WD Boost 35T Rebuildable motor..

The ONLY reason why we recommend Brushed for wet work is its less expensive to replace than a water proof brushless motor.
    A Sealed Brushless motor can still go wrong when used in thick goopy mud. a Brushed motor may stop working but you can pull them apart, Service them and wack them back in.. and the most you will pay for a rebuildable motor is $40 or so instead of $60-$90..

So if your budget allows you to go the Holmes hobby path then yes.. it will offer better performance but at the same time.. when it goes wrong.. will cost more to replace.
    So it comes down to a matter of budget.

A Holmes Hobby Trailmaster kit with 2700kv Brushless trail motor is going to be close to around $200

A Hobbywing ESC and a Rebuildable 35T motor as little as $60

#5 Magnat007, Aug 7, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2016
    lout and walter like this.