1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Everest 10 HELP!

Discussion in 'Scale Truck Chat' started by AlexY, May 12, 2016.

1. AlexY

AlexY New Member

Just got myself a blue E10. So here is where I sit two days into ownership as a 30 year old mechanic. FASTER, I WANT SPEED! lol. While ordering the truck I ordered a 17t-21t pinion set, 996r servo for 4ws upgrade eventually, 540 35T motor, two more 2800mah nimh batteries and a pair of diff gears. Pinions and motor are due today and tomorrow. FIRST off, will the stock esc be ok with the pinions and 35t motor along with stock? Plan to fiddle and adjust for what I plan to do that day. If it WILL take those fine, can I go lower on the turns for the motor? What about 2s lipo on stock esc? Worth it? Goal with it is to lower it just a little and make it a BEAST 4wd 4ws ATV thats faster than a walking pace, lol. Soo far I cut the stock tires, pulled the foam and weighted down the front ALONG with general tightening of screws. Anyone know if most standard 48p spur gears will work too? Like to gain a little speed there if I can as well. Finally, the biggie, 2 speed tranny. This is my first hobby grade RC and gotta say, its awesome to have this much in options. But yes, i'd like to add a 2 speed tranny and 4ch radio/reciever down the line. With the 4ws, can I just add the rear servo to the same channel as the front so they turn in unison on a 2ch? I only ask because the esc has two open slots, one says 3ch/bind and the other is VCC... Not sure what they are and do yet ALONG with the DSC on the back of the remote. I have gone through the forums and gotten a ton of info, but my questions are pretty specific and have the money to buy all but the 3/4ch mod.

2. scalemadness

scalemadness Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Are the tires that stiff? Most trucks suffer without tire foam. Most rc trucks require foam otherwise its like driving on flat tires steering traction and side hills will be horrible.

3. Magnat007

Magnat007 Proud SCX10 Owner
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Hang on.. an E10 is an Onroad car ?

Its not going to do to well as an ATV the suspension geometry is all wrong..

The ESC doesn't have to open slots the reciever does.
    the bind channel is for binding the channel to the controller to the reciever.
    VCC is if you were going to use the receiver on a nitro and needed a battery input (As far as I remember anyway)

4. scalemadness

ELiTE MEMBER

Its a low end crawler lol had to google it the 4ws is easy but will require a better radio to utilize a 2 speed trans but with such a high cog would make it pointless it appears to be aimed specifically as a rock crawler not really scale trail not to say it couldnt be done just simpler woth a different platform imho

5. Magnat007

Magnat007 Proud SCX10 Owner
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Ah Unless he is meaning a Redcat Everest 10 ??

Jeez Companies need to come up with new model names its getting confusing

6. scalemadness

ELiTE MEMBER

Lol yes i agree thats why i had to google it

7. AlexY

AlexY New Member

Yes, the everest 10. I reckon ATV isnt the best phrasing, but I mean more of a basher I reckon. I know that it was DESIGNED to do one thing, I however have the few dollars and time needed to accomplish what I plan to. I just need the advice and direction in the areas I asked about. WILL the factory esc work a 35T and 17t-21t pinion kit without killing it? Im going to adjust the suspension and lower it, maybe throw some 1.9's on it. The goal is the look of a 4wd basher I reckon there called, with the suspension and flex ALONG WITH option of rock crawling by changing a few things. I am a mechanic and again have the few dollars and patience needed to do this but I need my original questions answered by you folks. Your clearly smarter than I in this area for the most part. Again, I know what the Redcat Everest 10 was designed to do, that dont mean thats what Im leaving it as. I will down the road get more RC cars and legit bashers, but this is a project. lol

8. scalemadness

ELiTE MEMBER

Most esc's should be able to handle a 35t motor as for pinion gearing you will have to watch temps and adjust the pinion tooth count as needed as im not familiar with redcats gearing

9. AlexY

AlexY New Member

Its a 14t pinion and 86t spur stock. I appreciate it. The setup now never gets warm at all so I got some room it seems to add speed.

10. Monkeypiarat

Monkeypiarat Worlds formost authority on my own opinion
    ELiTE MEMBER

without changing to much have you looked in to a 27t motor ...
    seems like it would save you a lot of work ...
    the diff gears you ordered ,,,, are they metal ? .... you will want metal hubs for the diff as the plastic ones strip easily...
    the 2 speed tranny I would get the speed you need first then do the 2 speed last for the lower gear
    for crawling ... or get somone who does that to give you the ins and outs of its use ...
    as for the batteries ,,,
    if the esc has lipo cut off built in the n definitely go lipo ...
    when buying batteries nimh or lipo ,, you will in the end get the 6 cell 5000 MAH or
    2s lipo 5000 mah ...
    (check the size of your battery box and the size of the battery before you buy it )
    most times the 5000 MAH size in nimh or lipo batteries ,,,
    is the largest MAH size you can fit with out modifying your battery box....
    to get the best run time you can ....
    as for the foams in the tires ,,
    If it were mine I would put them back in after star cutting them first ...
    the 4ws you should be able to do with a y connector to the same channel on the rx...or
    when I tried it on my stone 10 I just put the steering link over the servo instead of under the servo..
    (but you might need a custom size link to do that)...
    after the 4ws mod and adding more speed I found that the extra speed constantly caused the vehicle to roll .. so I went back to front only.. you will want to find what you prefer ...
    the maxstone 10 and Everest are very close...
    here is a link .. for reference .....

you only need more channels if you want to crab walk while rock crawling ...

11. AlexY

AlexY New Member

Hey, now that is how you reply to a post boss! Yes, the pinions are metal and was JUST able to squeeze on the 21t on the 35t motor with the stock mounting positions and the stock 86t spur. Between both of the additions I made, it is alot faster, at least DOUBLE if not triple original speed. HOWEVER, the fact that it was one of the slowest crawlers they made, not saying much. lol Will do a vid today and put it on my youtube. Im thinking a 76 or 66 spur gear and 26 or 30 pinion on the 35t. Gonna order a 27 or 21 turn motor if the gearing I just mentioned with the 35t dont do it for me. No the stock esc does NOT have lipo cut off or meter so I'll just order one of the lvm for cheap on ebay. The stock esc can run 2s lipo, but thats all from my research and as I have 3-2800mah nimh batteries, not in a super rush to go lipo until I start looking into my 2 speed conversion. Yes, the diff gears are metal as well, I refuse, REFUSE to buy plastic originals that will just bust again. I did put the foam BACK in the tires for the bashing purposes im looking for and it does ok. The stock steering servo with the added speed is starting to show it can be sluggish so thats gonna be next. Know anything about wheel spacers? Im ok with an occasional rollover and hell, thats half the fun sometimes even if shit breaks. It IS just a toy after all. Just an expensive toy. Whats your opinion on 4ws with some speed? Help or horror?

12. Monkeypiarat

ELiTE MEMBER

I have several sets of wheel spacers as I am always re building what I have and every body I do needs a different setup .... on my maxstone 10 the wheel spacers I use are on there for good ...
    I THINK ...I have it set up the way I want it (no changes for a year now)..
    I used the wheel spacers for different reasons ...
    1 . to widen the stance when the wheelbase is to narrow for my liking ...
    2 ..to align the tires front to back on my trail truck ...
    I needed the front tires to center on the rear dually wheels ,, not on the inside dually wheel...
    3....when trying different wheels sometimes different tires rub on the 4 link suspension
    and wheel adaptors are a good way to move them out a little...
    when you use wheel adaptors remember when you move the wheel outward on the axel it takes more room to swing the tire around when you turn so you will need more room in your wheel wells
    ON THE 4WHEEL STEERING ... I was able to tolerate it until I went brushless then I was spending more time turning my truck back over so I could run..
    4WS is great if you are rock crawling but I guess I was not using it enough ...
    I mainly use my trail truck for incentive to get out and walk ....for exercise...
    on a good day I can walk for 30-45 minutes then rest at the half way point,,,,
    then go back home the same 30-45minutes and I have done my long walk for the day ..
    most days I just go 20 minutes out and 20 minutes back after a rest ...
    here at around 45 seconds you can see the blue wheel adaptors on the front of my stone 10..

here is what my trail runner looks like with the body on it ...

#12 Monkeypiarat, May 14, 2016
    Last edited: May 14, 2016
  13. Monkeypiarat

ELiTE MEMBER

I have a funny story that I made up about getting more speed with 2s lipo batteries ...
    if you like it you can copy it and change the words to reflect the rc cars that you have...

MAKING YOUR CRAWLER GO FASTER WITH 2S LIPO BATTERY VS NIMH
    AND THE PARABLE OF NATE THE RC SNAKE

the owner of Nate the rc snake was an RC FREAK ,
    he made Nate the rc snake's home, a hole on top of a small hill.
    at the bottom of the hill,
    the rc freak had the RC shack on the side of the road where he sold rc stuff,
    much the way that in some places they sell fireworks,
    but not fireworks it was RC parts.
    on the other side of the road from the shack, that was at the bottom of the hill,
    which had the hole that was the home of Nate the RC snake on top of.
    across the road from THAT was a lever.
    and that very lever was connected to a device ,that every one who saw it thought could destroy the world.
    this lever was located on a place ,that at one time was the worlds biggest fireworks stand.
    BUT that is a different story.
    ANYWAY.
    everybody thought that the lever would destroy the world.
    but I think that it was because the RC freak put a sign next the lever that said
    "hey everybody if you pull this lever it will destroy the world".....ANYWAY,,
    every morning, COMPLETLY BY REMOTE CONTROL!
    Nate the RC snake would come up out of his hole that was his home, and go down the hill to the RC shack.
    where he would do a snake like crawl, around the RC shack ,like a snake ,COMPLEATLY BY REMOTE CONTROL!
    much the same way a real snake would slither.
    but not slither.
    he would crawl because of the remote control.
    after the snake like behavior, the RC freak,,,, COMLETELY BY REMOTE CONTROL!,,,
    would have Nate the RC snake cross the road,
    and crawl all over the lever that everybody thought would destroy the world
    because it was connected to a device that would destroy the world.
    OR, they read the sign....ANYWAY
    on this one morning, the rc freak had just finished smoking I mean drinking his coffee,
    when he grabbed his RC controller, and switched on the power.
    and Nate the RC snake crawled out of his the hole that was his home, and down the hill to the RC shack.
    where the RC freak did some much needed maintenance and upgraded the battery from nimh to a 2s lipo.
    after upgrading the battery ,the RC freak did a test run around the RC shack.
    AND had Nate the RC snake crawl around like a snake.
    after crawling around like a snake.
    the RC freak decided that he needed to upgrade to a brushless esc motor combo from RC4WD...
    BUT that is an other story...ANYWAY
    the RC freak thought that he would ,just like every morning ,have Nate the RC snake crawl across the road.
    and crawl all over the lever that everybody thought would destroy the world because it,,,,,,,,
    OK. OK. IT WAS THE SIGN,,,,
    the RC freak put up this stupid sign that said "HEY EVERYBODY if you pull this lever it will destroy the world".
    (are you happy now?)......ANYWAY
    The RC freak proceeded to have Nate the RC snake crawl across the road,
    to crawl all over this lever that would destroy the world.
    he had just entered the first lane, when on the horizon appeared a semi truck going at a high rate of speed.
    I mean he was hauling as...smuch RC parts as he could fit into the back of his truck.
    at first he was going to order the stuff on line, BUT, he decided to get it all at the local hobby shop .. ANYWAY
    seeing the RC shack, the truck driver thought he would pull in to the RC shack,
    to see if he could make his TRAXXAS X01 with the mamba monster go any faster.
    because some of these regular RC'S are really fast , but that is another story. ANYWAY.
    he went to pull in to the RC shack. he stepped on the brake AND Ill be darned there was no brakes.
    it was kind of like stepping on a cockroach.
    you step on it and it makes this kind of crackle noise but nothing really happens.
    it was like that.
    but not with a cockroach. it was his brakes...ANYWAY
    the truck driver hit the brakes and nothing happened,
    so he begins to panic,
    he looks to the left , and he sees this sign that says
    "hey everybody if you pull this lever it will destroy the world".
    he looks to the right,
    and sees the RC shack with this dude standing out front,
    and he could not tell if this dude was freaking out, OR, if he was just some kind of RC freak.
    then he looks right in his lane,
    and he see what looks like an exceed maxstone 5 with a metal gremlin body with fake snakeskin.
    then he remembers that was a youtube video that he saw on the RCSPARKS forum.
    and it must be a real snake.
    because some of these scale RC look like the real thing. ANYWAY.
    While all this is happening ,the RC freak sees what is happening and starts to freak.....
    and now he is a freaking RC freak.
    he looks across the street, and sees the lever that everybody thinks will destroy the world.
    he looks at the semi. and the driver is freaking out. OR, he is just some kind of truck driving freak.
    realizing what is going on, he realizes, that Nate the RC snake is crawling right in the middle of the road.
    and this semi is coming at a high rate of speed.
    so he knows what to do. he has got to get Nate the RC snake out of the way of the semi.
    he hits the throttle, and Nate the RC snake goes crawling just as fast as he can.
    and then, everything went in to slow motion. just like when you turn your go pro down to 15 frames per second.
    but not with a go pro. because this was real.
    the RC freaks mind begins to race. and the RC freak thinks to himself.
    I should have changed the gearing and put in the brushless esc motor combo if I wanted to go fast,
    because this 2s lipo just isn't enough by itself.
    the semi driver looks at the lever that will destroy the world.
    the semi driver looks at the freaking RC freak.
    and the semi driver makes the decision ,,,,,, these crawlers don't go as fast as the regular RC'S.
    and WHAMO he runs over Nate the RC snake.
    The moral of the story my friends......
    BETTER NATE THAN LEVER.
    unless you are an RC freak.
    then the moral of the story is.....
    just a 2S lipo battery in a RC crawler is not enough by itself, if you want to go really fast,
    you have to change your gears and upgrade to a brushless motor and esc ......
    but that is another story.
    by MONKEYPIARAT ...RC FREAK
    and NATE THE RC SNAKE....... ALIAS: SNAKESKIN COWBOY
    THAT WAS FUNNY RIGHT THERE .UNLESS ITS TRUE THEN ITS NOT FUNNY...IT COULD HAPPEN.

14. scalemadness

ELiTE MEMBER

A two speed is a nice advantage when trailing but it does take a lot of trial and error with gearing especially when installing it in a truck it was never intended for i run a trailfinder 2 with a single speed trans and a two speed t-case it took a lot of customizing and thought as well as experimenting with motor turns as well as pinions to find the right mix. I utilize my two gear sets a lot but my rig is also heavy and leaf sprung so speed is an enemy at times. But to have the second gear wheel speed is much needed on the trail as well as a nice torquey crawl. Shift servo's don't need to be huge as long as end points are set right i use a hs-55 sub micro wp plastic geared servo as a shifter with no issues. Just remember the trans has to be turning when shifting or the gearing will bind killing a servo off rather fast. Im not sure your trying to go scale looks or just a basher? But it definitely makes it easier to put a two speed in a basher that doesn't require the thought out design of scale to ensure everything is hidden from view.

Monkeypiarat likes this.