1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

EZ Start or PullStart

Discussion in 'Nitro' started by RCADDICT99, Apr 14, 2013.

1. RCADDICT99

RCADDICT99 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Hi guys just finished rebuilding my 3.3 and am getting tired of the ez start messing up (slipping the owb, breaking the internal gears, breaking yabs on motor) so I was wondering if a pullstart would be better. I am aware that a pullstart requires a good tune and that I can get blisters but no big deal. The ezstart has so many problems and is really horrible, to me at least. So if anybody can leave their opinions that would be great, thanks

2. RCADDICT99

ELiTE MEMBER

Oh btw I already have an external glow plug igniter

3. TmaxxCrazy33

TmaxxCrazy33 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

when i had my 3.3,i had a pullstart,i like it way better then the ezstart,just youll get busted Knuckles.

and the ropes are weak.

just use quick short pulls,should fire right up.

4. ForkliftJeff

ForkliftJeff Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

I used to have a savage with the Roto start. I got sick of it messing up or the battery going dead so I went with a pull start. Way better.

5. Crankbait

Crankbait Think...
    ELiTE MEMBER

I'm just the opposite lol.
    Give me a roto start any day over a pull start! (On a savage that is)
    Traxxas starters did cause me some grief, but they are made different from HPI's.
    I used a drill for a long time, but the HPI roto start turns a lot quicker .
    I guess I'm lazy!

6. kuskye25

kuskye25 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

i use both...

pro's and cons

pull start
    cons... if your engines not in tune youll wear your arm out and possibly bust a knuckle or more often get a blister, also dont ever take it all the way apart rewinding the coil is a pain in the butt, and sometimes the cords break after a long time if they are rubbing on anything..
    pro's... less track equipment to carry, and above all its easier on your expensive OWB

electric start
    con's... traxxas ones are extra weight on your truck cause of the electric motor, takes batteries that can go dead, much harder on your OWB
    pro's... when all is working you just push a button, who doesnt like that:)

ive been using the traxxas ezstart system since i got my first tmaxx around 2003, i love it and have never had major issues, but i also maintain it before things go wrong.... as i do with everything else on my vehicles...

#6 kuskye25, Apr 15, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2013
  7. Fabulous

Fabulous Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Had a pull start then got the roto start. Night and day difference! FYI my experience is strictly from HPI perspective

8. kuskye25

ELiTE MEMBER

yeah ive used the traxxas, hpi, durtrax, and tiger drives.... all are great E-Starters systems... no complaints out of me on any of them...

9. bumpin

bumpin Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

i have had nothing but issues with my easy starts especially when you are breaking in a new sleeve and cylinder! the pull start gets my vote. but i also learned that an improper tune makes the pull start a beast on your arms. but the easy start systems eat up batteries if you aren't in tune as well. so i guess my point would be make sure your truck is tuned correctly and you would do well with either one. (personally i say pull start hasn't let me down yet.)

10. Rambodian

Rambodian New Member

I have the easy start on my Revo 3.3, the only time it has let me down was when it got muddy water in it, but after I flushed it with clean water it worked again. As I was out on the trail at the time it sucked as I had to go home to fix it, since then I was wondering about a pull start on my 3.3 as well.

If you do try it, give us a write up on your experience with it etc.
    I am following this thread with great interest, good topic mate.

11. RCADDICT99

ELiTE MEMBER

I was really thinking about getting a pullstart but Im not so sure since my maxx is on craigslist and I dont want to throw down 23 bucks for something I might not use that much. But if I dont sell it I am buying a pullstart

12. kuskye25

ELiTE MEMBER

just a heads up to on the ezstart this is a mod that most of us on the traxxas forum have been doing for years... no more tearing down your ezstart to clean your OWB, quick shot of wd-40 and your on your way... i dont do the fuel line, or you can modify a plug for the hole, but i just run it open, and shoot wd-40 when i need to....

[video=youtube;swrto4OHB8s]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swrto4OHB8s[/video]

#12 kuskye25, Apr 19, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2013