1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

f150 hard body 6x6 build

Discussion in 'Road Giants 6x6/8x8/10x10' started by darkside0914, Nov 17, 2016.

1. darkside0914

darkside0914 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    awhile back I started a f150 6x6 project, I cut the body and that was as far as it went, but now i'm back on it, this what I have done so far. sorry to any body who cant see these atm photobucket's being a turd and won't let me upload pics.
    started off as a stock tamiya blackfoot body originally bought for a scale truck build. I cut and extended the bed, i still have a lot to do but as my 1st time trying some trying any kind of body work like this, I think it's coming along nicely. I originally planned to use wheelyking tires on this,
    but changed my mind and i plan to use wild willies wheels/tires instead. I like how they look on this truck.

Bluedually, lout, sweet rc and 2 others like this.
  2. lout

lout Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Looks like a good start there!

darkside0914 likes this.
  3. darkside0914

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    I plan to sand the top of the bed smooth as I can, and instead of filling all the holes and such covering it with either a thin piece of aluminum or stainless, still got to figure out what i'm going to do chassis wise, but I found a pretty nice scx10 based 6x6 frame I might buy, but $52 for just a set of rails and aluminum shock towers seems a little steep to me. or maybe i'm just cheap. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rc-Offroad-...828103?hash=item4b0be0c907:g:~YAAAOSwuhhXWySn

4. lout

lout Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    How much would 6 alum shock hoops be? That would answer whether is feasible?

Do you have rails already that you could extend?

darkside0914 likes this.
  5. darkside0914

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    unfortunately no, i gave the rails I had to my brother, I could get them back, but I don't like giving something to somebody then asking for it back. the cheapest hoops I found are about $12 with shipping, that's $36 for 6, add in rails or c channel to make them and it would be over the $52 mark, so it seems it may be a better choice to just get the chassis I mentioned before after all.

lout likes this.
  6. darkside0914

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    I think i'm just about done with the body work, just needs some fine sanding and minor touch ups to be ready for primer and paint, here's some pics of my progress, though i'm sure @Freddy or @lout could have done a much better job, and while it's far from perfect i'm happy with the results of my 1st attempt at a major body mod.
    the left side came out pretty good I think
    [​IMG]
    the right side still needs some work but not a lot
    [​IMG]
    and I filled in the sunroof
    [​IMG]

Bluedually and lout like this.
  7. lout

lout Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Oh I don't know about that ... looks pretty good to me.

Primer it, put a guide coat over the top, sand it and then rinse and repeat as they. DOing that coupe of times and it will look as good as new.

8. darkside0914

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    i've actually gotten the right side looking pretty decent now, and it's ready for sanding, then primer, then more sanding, you know the drill. having my 1st attempt at this go this well is a real confidence booster, i'm not saying i'm ready to take on a full custom fabbed body yet, but I definitely feel confident enough to do more custom work on existing bodies like this one.

lout likes this.
  9. darkside0914

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    here it is, the body is finally done and in primer, it just needs a final wet sand and painted, or I may say forget it and leave it in primer,
    [​IMG]
    there's a few spots i didn't get quite right, but i'm happy with it as is.

10. lout

lout Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    That's nice ..... I'm sorry to say that there are times where the "primered" look works, but you gotta paint that dude!

walter and darkside0914 like this.
  11. darkside0914

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    thanks, it looks better in the pic than real life, or maybe it's because i know where most of the flaws are my eyes go directly to them, and I agree, while the primer look would work if I was building a truck to look like an old beater, this needs color, I just need to decide what color I want, nothing light, it would show the mistakes to much, but I don't want black either, maybe purple(my favorite color) or dark red/burgundy,

12. lout

lout Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    You and my wife would get on great ... her's is purple too!

I saw a ute (elcamino is the closest I can name that is similar) here this morning with a 3 tone paint job.

The lower half was silver from the front wheel arch backwards.
    There was a lavender strip that started at about 2 inches and went down to about half an inch
    And Then a nice rich purple over the top half.

darkside0914 likes this.
  13. darkside0914

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    your wife's got good taste in colors, i'm not particularly good at painting, so for now it's single color or easy 2 tone for me, I tend to get in a hurry and spray heavy coats instead of light ones, and I hate color sanding, I have thought of buying an airbrush, testors makes one that's pretty good, and it uses replaceable propellant cans rather than an air compressor, they're intended for 24th scale model cars, but I imagine it'd work just as well on a rc car body too. I used to have one yrs ago and loved it, they give a much better finish than spray cans.

lout likes this.
  14. walter

walter Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

it's because you know where the flaws are,
    looks very good

darkside0914 likes this.
  15. darkside0914

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    thanks, I think the next body I do will be my 4x6 lunchbox body, when I actually get around to rebuilding it that is, although I have been thinking of building a teardrop camper for the 6th scale 36 ford. I still have the original rear suspension and tires that came off it.

lout and walter like this.
  16. Antho11

Antho11 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Nice job with the body! Don't worry about the flaws, it adds characters!

darkside0914 likes this.
  17. darkside0914

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    thank you, I could have finished it a little better,(and still could before final painting) but I despise sanding, so I took it to the point i'm happy with and called it done, it's not a show truck so it doesn't need to perfect or even really good, just halfway decent and functional.

Mark Liersch, lout and walter like this.
  18. Mark Liersch

Mark Liersch Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Very unique body for a 6x6 build. Good choice, man.

19. darkside0914

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    thanks, I had this same ford, well almost, in a 1/1 21 yrs ago, I say almost because mine was a regular long bed, not a stepside, so I sorta fell in love with the blackfoot body, and have project plans involving several more, namely a replica of awesome kong 2, and an extended cab duallie, but other unfinished projects must come 1st.

Mark Liersch likes this.
  20. Mark Liersch

Mark Liersch Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    As always...the "UNFINISHED PROJECTS". I have several of them. But now thanks to "alexvehar" in the crawler section, I'm actually set on a path now for my scx10 build. He's put together a Tucker Sno Cat that is pretty cool. Takes some of the urgency out of having a build ready by spring, because I am tearing down and rebuilding my buddy's rig. So I have until next winter to get a tracked scx10 ready...

lout likes this.