1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Firsrt time Painting Tips

Discussion in 'Aqua Mods & Fabrication Tips' started by Birdboy, May 21, 2013.

1. Birdboy

Birdboy New Member

Looking at panting my rc boat any tips or tricks... What paint should I use? If you want any color suggestion cuz idk right now :thatdoodisuptosomet THANK EVRYONE I am new to this forum thing sorry:yourkidding:

2. MrRcFanatik

MrRcFanatik Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Hey man! Welcome to this forum!

Firstly... what is your boat made of? Plastic (ABS) or fiberglass? Either way, I would suggest either a Tamiya paint... or, something which I've had good sucess with, "For Plastic" from Krylon.

Scuff up the surface with 600 grit sandpaper, and clean with acetone before you paint bro!

I've painted my boat and a number of other projects with Krylon, and have been VERY pleased with the results. The Krylon paint may not be good to use on a Lexan body of an rc car, but for a hard bodied car or truck... or in this case a boat! It works nicely! I think it is about $8 a can. I get it from Canadian Tire, but I'm sure you can get it in the States too.

Anyhoo... that's what I use, and am happy with it!

You should post up some pictures of your boat man!! We'd love to see it!! :haveaniceday:

#2 MrRcFanatik, May 21, 2013
    Last edited: May 21, 2013
  3. rowdy3128

rowdy3128 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Over the winter I redid my boat......the paint I used was auto touch-up paint in a can....on my clear bodys I tryed to strip the paint with dot 3 brake fluid,''it did not work'' the paint stayed.....so it works for me and I like the colors better............

4. walter

walter Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

best tip I can give or painting is don't rush it, take your time and read the paint cans directions.

5. Tombsy

Tombsy Boat Racing Fanatic
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    If by chance it's a nitro boat you have to use something that will stand up to it, for higher nitro contents I use KlassKote epoxy paint because I don't have the spray equipment to shoot Imron (or equivalent) auto clear coat that is used on the bigger boats.

Here's my JAE .12 rigger built from wood. The stand and boat are all painted with KlassKote with an airbrush.

[​IMG]

6. l8rg8r

l8rg8r New Member

Since nobody else said it I will paint hides nothing In fact it is the oposite. So sand sand and sand some more if it is a fiberglass boat I would start with 180 grit if it's abs I would start with 220 grit and either way finish with 800 wet I wouldn't use any power sanders and I would have a assortment of sanding blocks dense foam is my choice but other people have good results with rubber plastic and wood when you feel you have a paintable surface lay down a guide coat and give it a final sanding oh and be careful a boat hull has sharp edges they are there on purpose and if sanded off it will have a effect on how it handles in the water I hope this helps

#6 l8rg8r, Jan 6, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2014