1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First Airplane

Discussion in 'Aircraft Build Projects' started by Elias Grant, Jun 23, 2015.

1. Elias Grant

Elias Grant New Member

I'm thinking about building my first airplane and was looking for some suggestions of good airplanes to start with. I have built kit rc's before, but obviously a plane is different. Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks!

2. 00whynot

00whynot Moderator
    Staff Member MODERATOR

Media:
    first plane? or first kit plane?

If its your first plane all together. i suggest something like a super cub. they are built well. and very moddable. you can get floats and ski's. even combat or drop moduals for them. and they take a beating.
    mins been modded with ailerons and way overpowered with a brushless setup.
    heres a couple vids of it.

oh and they are cheap. lol

3. Elias Grant

Elias Grant New Member

This will be my first plane. I want to build a kit plane, but don't have the tools right now. I like the super cub and the super cub s. I'm just trying to decide between the two. I'll probably get some bigger wheels and floats for it as well as a better engine once I get used to the one in it. Thanks.

00whynot likes this.
  4. Elias Grant

Elias Grant New Member

5. 00whynot

00whynot Moderator
    Staff Member MODERATOR

Media:
    looks alright. but honestly for that kinds money id go with the super cub. it is tried and true. tones of parts supply. the main thing that scares me with the one you linked is the plastic.
    plastic breaks. when foam absorbs the impact. and is easily fixed with tape or glue.
    its even the plane flight test chose to do their beginer series with.

watch it. lots of good and helpful info.

jhenrique.galera likes this.
  6. 00whynot

00whynot Moderator
    Staff Member MODERATOR

Media:

although the one you linked is brushless. which is nice.

7. Elias Grant

Elias Grant New Member

Okay, great. Thanks again. It appears the the Super Cub model has been discontinued, but they are still making the Super Cub S so I think I'm going to go with that. Now I'm just trying to decide if I want to buy the RTF or the BNF so I can choose my remote. The DX4e that comes with it seems good, but I'm wondering if it's worth the extra money to get the DX6i. I'm sure I will buy more planes when I have more money and am thinking it might be good to have a slightly nicer remote with more options.

8. 00whynot

00whynot Moderator
    Staff Member MODERATOR

Media:
    The dx6i is great. I have one. I've moved on to a remote with more options and model memory because I have to many planes and heli's lol.
    Look into a turnigy 9XR with a orange rx modual if you want options. You can get them at hobby king for pretty darn cheep.

BigMike81 likes this.
  9. Elias Grant

Elias Grant New Member

The Turnigy 9XR seems great, it is a lot cheaper than the DX6i. Reviews said the main problem is the antenna with the orange rx module, but there is a way to fix it. I'm just wondering why the Turnigy is so much cheaper than the Spektrum.

10. 00whynot

00whynot Moderator
    Staff Member MODERATOR

Media:
    Honestly the only reason I can see for it is the brand name. Orange rx can make and sell a reciever for like $7. Spectrums version of the same reciever is closer to $70. Don't get me wrong. I love spectrums stuff. But man are their prices high.
    I run Orange rx recovers in all my vehicles and aircraft. I have never had a problem. Well once I had a problem. But it was because of where I placed it. My poor tricopter took a hit that day. Lol

11. 00whynot

00whynot Moderator
    Staff Member MODERATOR

Media:
    Oh and the antenna is a pain. But of your handy you can make a set of legs for it so you don't have to worry about it out of a coat hanger.

12. Elias Grant

Elias Grant New Member

It looks like the build quality on the DX6i is better than the Turnigy 9XR. I'll have to see what they have at my local hobby store. I think I'm going to go with the 9XR, all the reviews say that it can be upgraded to make it better if necessary. The cost is also much better and I can always upgrade in the future. Thanks for your help.

13. Y2daT

Y2daT Over Powered RC
    ELiTE MEMBER

I was going to suggest doing a flite test foam build .. and start with one of their speed build kits for ease. u can put the plane in the air for about $100.00

14. Elias Grant

Elias Grant New Member

I have looked at those and they seem great, but I would rather spend a little more to get a nicer airplane.

15. 00whynot

00whynot Moderator
    Staff Member MODERATOR

Media:
    i have both the dx6i and rhe turnegy 9xr. the nice thing about the 9xr is the customizing. id never do it to the dx6i because of the price. but no problems for the 9xr. ive made all kinds of custom mods to mine. the dx6i actually feels cheaper in your hands.

16. Y2daT

Y2daT Over Powered RC
    ELiTE MEMBER

(Just my opinin )Get a nice one . but learn on what is dirt cheap to repair . when u can rebuild the entire plane's fuselage and wings for 5.00 crashing is fun also. When you invest big cash and months of build time . crashing is devastating. Master the foamy then put the better plane in the air

#16 Y2daT, Jun 29, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2015
  17. Elias Grant

Elias Grant New Member

So your saying I should still buy the foam one I was planning on getting, but learn how to repair it well. I'm fairly handy and great at fixing things so I'm sure I can figure it out.

18. Elias Grant

Elias Grant New Member

One thing I noticed is the the super cub s doesn't have flaps or retracts. I'm guessing that it because it is a beginner plane. Will I be able to buy another wing that has flaps and put it on after I get some experience?

19. Elias Grant

Elias Grant New Member

[​IMG]
    Time to have some fun!