1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First boat

Discussion in 'Boat Build Projects' started by bubbaTC, Jul 1, 2016.

1. bubbaTC

bubbaTC Member

So im looking for my first RC boat. Will be running in lakes, rivers and some ponds. Was looking at Traxxas Blast but not sure if there was one better for about the same price.

2. 00whynot

00whynot Moderator
    Staff Member MODERATOR

Media:
    the thing with boats is. there is always one better. lol
    Traxxas makes good stuff. its a solid brand to start off with. If your going to get into boats make sure you invest in a dingy and life jacket for when you have to go get it. which you will eventually have to do. Has to be the most dangerous type of rc ever. so many have died over a small boat.
    that being said.... they are wicked fun.

bubbaTC likes this.
  3. Magnat007

Magnat007 Proud SCX10 Owner
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Invest in some sort of recover gear first.. NEVER swim for a RC boat.. .
    A Tennis ball and a Fishing rod is a good Idea.
    Traxxas Blast is a Good boat... but a Traxxas Spartan is so much more desirable..
    It all depends if you want speed or manuverability.. High maintenence or Low maintenance..

There are so many things to consider when buying a boat.. .

Also not to mention Hull design... Did you want a Cat or a Monohull ?

If I was going to get a entry level boat ... I would probably look at the Aquacraft Rio.

bubbaTC likes this.
  4. Mogg2112

Mogg2112 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    I've been wanting to get into boats for years now. I've also considered the Traxxas Blast as a first boat, mostly because of the parts support and I am very familiar with Traxxas' stuff. After quite a lot of research though, I'm much more interested in starting out with something from Pro Boat now that I've considered other options. The Traxxas Blast is a pretty outdated design for what it costs, especially for a brushed system. Now that's not a bad thing by any means, but I'd much rather start with a brushless system from the get-go for obvious reasons. Pro Boat has many fine brushless boats that are very well priced and excellently supported by Horizon. The Traxxas Spartan looks absolutely amazing as well, but I would not buy one at retail price personally. A used one in good condition for fair price would be awesome if you can find one.

bubbaTC likes this.
  5. RustyWrench

RustyWrench ...I Always Edit...
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Okay I guess it's time for me to put in my two bits. So what type of boating do you want to do? FE (Fast Electric) Nitro, Gas? Are you looking for all out speed? Or are you looking at more of a scale type boat? Or something inbetween? Are you looking for something that can handle chop or do you plan on running on glass?

Hull selection is important for the conditions you want to run in.
    Mono Medium+ chop
    Catamaran Light/Medium chop
    Hydro Smooth/Minimal chop
    Tunnel Smooth
    Rigger Glass

Take the time to evaluate your goals and decide on which feature of a boat is important to you. Consider your battery options as well. For example, I have Radio Control Cars and Trucks that run off 3s packs. To maintain consistency I organize my entire fleet so that all RC’s run off of a common 3s battery. If maintaining and caring for multiple packs is not a problem for you, then this does not apply.

Research, Research, Research... Read as much as you can about the boats that interests you, every drop of knowledge will help you to make a good solid educated decision.

If you plan on running in rivers I would suggest a Jet Drive and stay away from props.

Dean

#5 RustyWrench, Jul 2, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2016
    bubbaTC likes this.
  6. bubbaTC

bubbaTC Member

i do want an electric (dont want to hassle with nitro on the water, i have to do that on land now lol) i have a few trucks that run off 2s but was going to buy whatever i needed for the boat. Where im planning to run would have chop bc of full scales boats on the lake also. Im more of a speed person but not all the time.

7. Magnat007

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    So we are looking at a Deep V design.. Something to pierce the Wake..

8. bubbaTC

bubbaTC Member

sounds about right

9. RustyWrench

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    V hulls are good. Cats are faster and turn better. Are you looking for a RTR, Kit Build, or starting with just a Hull and selecting your own power system?

What hull material are you looking at? Each has their pro's and cons.

ABS. Can be repaired, may warp in hot sun and high uv, Soft material easily damaged.

Wood. Usually only in kit and scratch builds. Can be a bit tricky to repair and seal correctly no more difficult than repairing Fiberglass.

Fiberglass. By far the most popular. Not too difficult to repair. Quite strong. Not affected by heat, uv, or fuels.

Carbon Fiber. Better than Fiberglass but more pricey.

Kevlar. Even better but $$$

There are also hybrids Fiberglass/Carbon Fiber, Fiberglass/Kevlar ect.

Since you already have 2s packs you might want to look at boats that run on 2X 2s. Check your "C" rating FE boats like a high C rating, I personally would not run anything under 40C in my boats.

Dean

10. Magnat007

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    40C in a Tugboat !!!!!
    Now that would be something !

11. RustyWrench

ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    The C rating is just the charge/discharge rate for LiPo's

I run one 2s or one 3s in my Tug. Full size pack.
    [​IMG]

A single 2s or 3s in the Volere. Mini pack.
    [​IMG]

Will be running two 2s or two 3s mini packs in the 1/10 Hydro when I'm finished. I'll be running them Parallel.
    [​IMG]

Run double 2s full size packs in the Formula Fastec. This boat has been modified and can run 4 to 6s.
    [​IMG]

And double full size 3s packs in the Genesis. Has also been modified and can run 4 to 8s
    [​IMG]

Dean

#11 RustyWrench, Jul 3, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2016
  12. bubbaTC

bubbaTC Member

Ok understood. I was thinking ether ABS or fiberglass. RTR or ARTR is ok. I have a multi-model radio. I would like to be $150-200 for the boat, (with or without electronics)