1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First time nitro!

Discussion in 'Nitro' started by Gekkido, Mar 17, 2016.

1. Gekkido

Gekkido New Member

I got a 1/8th scale buggy the other day and I hope the breaking in is going like it is supposed to.

It is a Kyosho Inferno Neo 2.0. So far it is fun, but seems to be no faster than my 4x4 slash. This should change after the break-in and then I should be able to run it a bit leaner, right?
    I have gone through about half a gallon so far.

I didn't just get this for speed, but mostly durability.

2. Y2daT

Y2daT Over Powered RC
    ELiTE MEMBER

break in is different for different motors ... but yes when it is broke in you can lean the high screw a bit to pick up the power and rpm's
    The nitro fuel .. higher nitro content and or lower oil content means higher octane ... =more power .
    ..sometimes this requires adding another head gasket so there are 2 ... so if you drop in some higher octane fuel and it acts like it is hydrolocked ...try adding a second gasket .. the higher octane will detonate at a lower compression . the extra gasket keeps it from detonating too early .

and there is the option of adding a tuned pipe vs the stock pipe ... they always help .

there are a few that would fit on ebay ... also after well broke in there are more ways to improve power like porting and polishing the sleeve and crankshaft.

#2 Y2daT, Mar 18, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2016
  3. Gekkido

Gekkido New Member

I knew about the tuned pipes, but I didn't know people went as far as porting and polishing the sleeve and crankshaft. I will have to wait to do that when I get another motor. I just want to see how long I can make this one last since it is my first.

Will a good tuned pipe help out with engine life? I know they can improve fuel economy with a good carb tuning from doing a bit of research, but just curious over all.

4. Y2daT

Y2daT Over Powered RC
    ELiTE MEMBER

it just works better and gives more power ( dont think it affects engine life )..if you want the max life keep running break in fuel.
    the higher oil content will prolong the motor life . and try not to lean it out to much and keep it below 230 degrees Fahrenheit. its good to check the running temps regularly while out playing .
    new piston sleeve kits are not to expensive for most nitro motors . but replacing them means break in time all over again .
    pipes are crucial in tuning a 2 stroke of any type ... when the piston goes down it is releasing exhaust and bringing in fresh fuel air mix at the same time . ...so good flow helps ..but proper back pressure prevents the new fuel from simply dumping out of the exhaust port .
    the exhausted gas sends a shock wave down the pipe then some of it reflects at the end of the pipe . after reflecting the shock wave goes back toward the motor .. the timing of this makes a kind of seal at the exhaust port .. keeping the fresh fuel mix in the piston sleeve area.
    the aftermarket tuned pipes are typically harder material which helps the reflection ,and allows more overall flow ...

5. Gekkido

Gekkido New Member

That is pretty good to know. I seem to lose quite a bit ofmfuelnfrom the exhaust port. A tied pipe will be my next purchase for the buggy then.

I would rather go through the break-in procedure again than buy a new motor. I did a search online of the ke21r and seen what a lot of the replacement parts cost last night. It isn't too bad from what I could see.

Thanks a lot for the info, I really appreciate it.

6. Y2daT

Y2daT Over Powered RC
    ELiTE MEMBER

np they are fairly simple to build if the need arrives .. there are a handful of how to videos to show you how on youtube . the extra fuel in the exhaust is the rich condition of the carb settings ..
    leaning the high screw a bit will help with that ... I had my firestorm ( .18) running perfect yesterday ... then a cold front came in ... oh well there will be more sunny days.

7. Gekkido

Gekkido New Member

I meant tuned pipe on my last post. It only has fuel coming from the exhaust when idling.

I have been wanting to mess with it some more, but yeah, that cold front is a pain right now. Mother nature doesn't want us to have any fun.

8. Y2daT

Y2daT Over Powered RC
    ELiTE MEMBER

next weekend is supposed to be nice ... get yourself a thermometer if you do not have one ... the infrared ones are best for quick temp reads .. ideal temps are at the 230 F mark ... or from 200 F to 230 F
    a decent Brushless electric rc is great for the cold days ... no tuning required just charge and go ... :)
    the brushless motors last and last if they are not over volted or run at temps above 150F

9. Gekkido

Gekkido New Member

I will just have to see where I end up as I am a truck driver.

10. Y2daT

Y2daT Over Powered RC
    ELiTE MEMBER

gotcha .. I got to head out to a emergency repair for my boss man .... happy rcing :)