1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Functioning Snorkel?

Discussion in 'Mods, Paint & Fabrication' started by TheRocketPropelledTurtle, Jul 2, 2017.

1. TheRocketPropelledTurtle

I had the question "could you make a functioning snorkel for a non waterproof (I know waterproof is is a relative term) motor or ESC?" stuck in my head for the last couple of days and figured I should put it up on a forum to have a discussion about about the plausibility of this working. I think It could be done with one particular issue-overheating. However, A fan to suck air in through the snorkel, cool the non waterproof electronics, and blow it out an exhaust pipe would be a pretty cool setup and not over-heat electronics! I know it would probably be easier and more sensible to waterproof the electronics, but, this system would add more realism to water crossings! Any thoughts?

sweet rc and K.C.'s RC like this.
  2. K.C.'s RC

K.C.'s RC Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Well, I understand where you're coming from on this. But, as you even said yourself, and I recommend, it's MUCH easier to just waterproof your electronics. As far as scale realism, you can still get a snorkel, the new Traxxas TRX-4 has one and other vehicles do as well probably. Not only would heat be an issue, but the snorkel would have to completely go around the ESC, and wires would have to come out, etc. So, that's a lot of work. Plus, the heat issue, I'm sure a fan wouldn't do much in keeping an ESC tucked in a tiny little box cool. Plus, even after all that work, it could still leak, plus, water could go down the snorkel if you're going through deep water, etc. And dirt can get in there, etc. Just such a big hassle that can be avoided by getting some Plasti-Dip and a snorkel. As I said, there's probably snorkels on other vehicles, but if you like the one on the TRX-4, more parts are coming out, so you should be able to find a snorkel soon if your can't right now. I personally am getting a TRX-4 soon. Good luck! I recently took my brand new $70 servo and put some grease on the inside gears, then coated the outside in Plasti-Dip. It has worked well for me, I have yet to fully test it out by fully submerging it, but I doubt I am going to. The most it's ever going to see is mud, mud puddles, and maybe some other water but in not driving it in the lake or anything like that lol.

Y2daT and spawn like this.
  3. spawn

spawn Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    just waterproof it and ad snorkel

K.C.'s RC likes this.
  4. Magnat007

Magnat007 Proud SCX10 Owner
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    This system could be designed but you would be running excess electronics off the system and just like a real snorkel.. IF water was to get in.. you would have some big problems.
    As others have stated already.. It would be much more efficient just to run water resistant electronics in the first place.

Receivers in general don't need cooling so they could be placed in a box..
    ESC's would probably need more air flow than what a small fan could supply in a small space..
    So you would need something like a coke bottle with some piping just to give the electronics enough space to breathe and I dont see a coke bottle fitting too well on an SCX10 chassis.
    Not to mention it would have to be some wicked fan to spin high enough to create enough pressure to keep the water back flowing through the exhaust..

K.C.'s RC likes this.
  5. Y2daT

Y2daT Over Powered RC
    ELiTE MEMBER

I agree with the crowd but for water proofing i prefffer 2 part epoxy vs plastidip as ive never had a water related faliure after using epoxy and mud and water is my primary playground .. i have had 2 water failures out of about 10 things ive plastidiped so a 80% success rate .... a difference is the plastidip wrapped the case .. when i epoxy i epoxy the board itself .. always being careful to leave the tops of any metal exposed to allow cooling .. on esc the large cooling fins (obvious ) on receiviers there are 2 metal boxes on the board and on bec's there is a large metal plate ...
    by epoxing the board itself there is no dead air space for condensation to happen ( which could have been the cause of my plastidip failures .. also this is basically how factory waterproofed electronics are done ( the factory spays a thin coat )
    when epoxying a receiver set the fail safe before epoxying .. then you can epoxy the bottom and set it into the bottom half of the rx case and immediately epoxy the top .
    when doing the top you will cover the fail safe button making it unusable. leave the tops of the metal cans uncovered and carefully go around and in between the esc and servo connections making them usable and no need for extensions then pop the top on and let it dry ... i use the 5minute epoxy so im ready to play 10 minutes later

spawn and K.C.'s RC like this.
  6. Y2daT

Y2daT Over Powered RC
    ELiTE MEMBER

as for the snorkel you could make a exaust pipe from automotive brake line or copper tubing and install a train smoker to smoke from the exhaust and make the snorkel the intake for it .. just a idea

spawn and K.C.'s RC like this.
  7. sweet rc

sweet rc Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Could 3d print the snorkel and compartment... Multiple piece... And build, and seal it with a waterproof epoxy...

8. spawn

spawn Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    its rc anything can be done

9. Polaris425

Polaris425 Moderator
    MODERATOR ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Another downside to this is, if you hit a hole that's deeper than you think, and it's over snorkel depth... then you're back to the original problem of water inside the electronics box.

As someone who's a bit of an expert on snorkeling things (I built a whole forum around snorkeling ATV's) I can honestly say while the theory is a good one, and sounds awesome on paper, I'm not sure it would be functionally worth it. One water hole mishap, and all your electronics are ruined.

Though, At least it wouldn't be a $1500-$3000 motor rebuild :)

10. Ragnar

Ragnar Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    They make smoker kits. I made dual smoking exhaust on my Vatterra Ascender with a drift car kit. As for snorkel cool idea, but not practical. Unfortunately more trouble than worth.

K.C.'s RC likes this.
  11. orlando 149

orlando 149 Active Member

it wud be an awesome project,,,,,,try it see how it goes thats what this is all about man,,,,Hobbie.good luck

Sent from my SM-J320P using Tapatalk

K.C.'s RC likes this.
  12. lawrencesanderson02

lawrencesanderson02 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Get a coffee can put your electronics in it fill with silicone then throw the can esc rx and motor into the garbage then buy a water proof esc. Now a snorkel on a nitro motor with a super wubble ball inflator pump as a turbo ........

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

Ragnar likes this.