1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

geico 24 motor upgrade to geico 29

Discussion in 'Aqua Mods & Fabrication Tips' started by twiggyb01, Sep 2, 2013.

1. twiggyb01

twiggyb01 New Member

Hi all Just joined the forum and also New to rc boats. I have a question if anyone Can help me. I have Just purchased a motor and esc from a geico 29 with a they to putting it in my geico 24 but the motor shafts is thicker on the New motor. What size collett Will i need? Will the original 29 collett fit bearing in mine that the flexshaft on the 24 is thinner by a mm or so. I Dont know the exact measurements. Thanking anyone who Can help. Twiggy.

2. RustyWrench

RustyWrench ...I Always Edit...
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    Nice to see you found the right area for your post... I have never done this mod, but I believe you will be able to re use the collet...

Dean

3. UKBill

UKBill Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

I think rather than the normal two nut collet you may want to use the brass barrel style. I'm guessing here but you probably are running 4 and 5mm but thats a guess, best to measure. They are on ebay under brushless boat. They hold the motor and drive shaft with grub screws. If you cant get the exact combination you want go smaller and drill out. I had to do this on a boat of mine.

4. MrRcFanatik

MrRcFanatik Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

I just posted this in your other thread... but in case you don't see it.. here it is again.

I've never owned a off the shelf boat (let alone brushless.. I'm more into gas!)... I've been trying my best to find the sizes you need man, and it looks like your new motor has a 5mm shaft. The flexshaft on a 24 in Proboat Miss Geico looks to be 3.8mm......
    It would be best if you can measure the stuff yourself to make sure, but you will want to get a collet that connects a 5mm motor to a 3.8mm flexshaft.

The closest ones I've found on ebay are from a 5mm motor to a 4mm flexshaft....... it may be able to bite enough to make up for the 0.2mm difference you need, but I'm not totally sure on that one.

That's my $0.02 man.. hope it helps

5. Tombsy

Tombsy Boat Racing Fanatic
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
  6. twiggyb01

twiggyb01 New Member

well. New collet came today unfortunately its got two grub screws on the shaft out and is consequently a few mill too long. Got another one ordered that looks to be shorter. On am unrelated note i have cracked the front of the hull along the Join. I was thinking of putting epoxy along the seam would this be adequate or should i be using fibreglass? I Dont think water is getting in at this point tho. all input gratefully received.

#6 twiggyb01, Sep 5, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2013
  7. MrRcFanatik

ELiTE MEMBER

Sorry to hear that the collet didn't work man. Hopefully the new one could.... anyway you could modify the old one though?

As for the hull... I believe the 24in Geico is an ABS hull.. So I'd try epoxy first, and if that isn't strong enough for some reason, then try to fibreglass it. I think epoxy would be easier too.

8. twiggyb01

twiggyb01 New Member

Yeah it sucks.such a small part and such a headache. Im gonna try sawing the end off the collet and maybe that would work. I did order one from Hong Kong then realised it would take around two weeks to get here so i still got one on its way so maybe all not lost. Took the blackjack 29 out this evening on 3s Lipo and man Thats crazy. Only got 2x 2200mah batteries tho so its a little light so i Velcroed another battery inside to make her heavier with good results . Great to see the video of her above the water with the sunset reflecting underneath the hull. Epoxy. You gotta love it.

9. twiggyb01

twiggyb01 New Member

Yeah it sucks.such a small part and such a headache. Im gonna try sawing the end off the collet and maybe that would work. I did order one from Hong Kong then realised it would take around two weeks to get here so i still got one on its way so maybe all not lost. Took the blackjack 29 out this evening on 3s Lipo and man Thats crazy. Only got 2x 2200mah batteries tho so its a little light so i Velcroed another battery inside to make her heavier with good results . Great to see the video of her above the water with the sunset reflecting underneath the hull. Epoxy. You gotta love it.

10. twiggyb01

twiggyb01 New Member

Well time to admit defeat and give up. All the collets i have bought are too long with two grub screws instead of one and or are far too long. Such a simple tiny part and proving impossible. So frustrating. Stick the boat in the cupboard and find another hobby.

#10 twiggyb01, Sep 9, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2013
  11. MrRcFanatik

ELiTE MEMBER

Ah buddy that sucks! Can't you just put the original motor back into the 24in and race it that way? Or did the old motor stop working?

12. wayne

wayne New Member

hi twiggy im from the uk try presstwich models they deal in fast elc and nitro ,gas boats maybe they can help?

13. Tombsy

Tombsy Boat Racing Fanatic
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    That sucks man, just to be clear it's too long to fit between the motor and the plastic where the flex goes thru?
    You moved the motor mount back as far as it can go maybe you can make the slots a bit longer to get what you need. Or a little plate of metal or wood that you bolt thru with the motor mount screws and then bolt the motor mount to your new plate.
    If its the flex that's too long for the coupler to fit you can cut it with a Dremel.
    If you post up a pic maybe we can figure it out.

14. twiggyb01

twiggyb01 New Member

its the slow speed of this boat that made me want to upgrade. When it cant keep up with a micro magic vee its No enjoyment and quite frankly, its embarrassing.

15. MrRcFanatik

ELiTE MEMBER

Well sorry to hear man. Like [MENTION=1109]Tombsy[/MENTION] said, can you post some pics up for us to see? There might just be an easy way of fixing this, that we hadn't thought of yet! :)

16. twiggyb01

twiggyb01 New Member

i would sort a pic but i have returned all collets so it looks like every stock geico. I have one more still to be delivered from a couple of weeks ago so Ill see what that does but to be honest the return postage for all the collets is coming close to the cost of a New geico Anyway lol.

17. tjdabomb

tjdabomb New Member

18. KristenFRCB

KristenFRCB New Member

I was searching for some info on the Geico 24 and came across this post. I don't know where you ended up with this (you might have just decided to burn the boat :) but if you are looking for a solution, give Richard at FunRCBoats a call. 805-582-0005. Likely, he can help.