1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Going brushless for the first time need advice

Discussion in 'Short Course' started by CLJR10, Mar 6, 2014.

1. CLJR10

CLJR10 New Member

Hey everyone I got a traxxas slash 2wd for christmas which i love and have upgraded some but now i wanna make the big jump to brushless. Never had a BL system before and im not sure what to get. Im torn between the velienon system or the castle creations SV3. Price wise i want the castle because the traxxas is a bit steep but i know traxxas is a good product. Let me know what u guys think, waterproof is a must. Thanks

2. Thomas Moffat

Thomas Moffat Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

I would go Castle, it's just better in almost every aspect then the Velineon.
    Only thing that the Velineon is better at then the SW2 is that the Velineon can run sensored motors.
    Don't be fooled by pricing, the Velineon is way overpriced.

3. RustyWrench

RustyWrench ...I Always Edit...
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    I would go with the Castle over the Velienon. Because the Castle system is more programmable, and I believe (JMHO) higher quality... I am actually considering one for our Losi XXX Buggy, but the one I want is out of stock, and to be frank so is my budget... LoL...

Check this out... Click Link http://www.castlecreations.com/support/documents/drivers_ed_guide.pdf The Traxxas System can not do all this...

Dean

#3 RustyWrench, Mar 6, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2014
  4. Grifter

Grifter Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

I have 2 2wd slashes one with the castle sidewinder sct 3800kv combo and the other with the vxl.

I like both systems but I prefer the castle for a couple reasons.

As stated above the castle is infinitely more programmable. The vxl has only 3 settings. The most important for short course imo is the throttle curve and throttle limit options.

For example, my son was racing the vxl on training mode, 50% power, for a long time and had out grown it and needed just a little more throttle to clear a big double at the local track, buy was still out of control with full power. Well with the vxl he was just stuck with half power or being out of control and I could see it really frustrated him. He was 8 at the time.

With the castle I could bump the throttle up gradually so he could always be running at the top of his capability. His 3rd or 4th race on the castle system actually landed him his first trophy.

Also with stock gearing in the 2wd slash the castle system runs waaaaaay cooler. I don't have a temp gun so I can't say exactly how much cooler but it is a dramatic difference.

And finally, price. For the options there is really no comparison at the price point. The vxl can handle 3s and is a lot more reliable when completely submerged, but you really have no business running a 2wd slash underwater and 3s power is completely unnecessary in a 2wd vehicle unless your just doing speed runs.

The castle is now "waterproof" but u should think of that as splash proof. It can handle rainydays and blasting through puddles but the 3800 does not like being submerged. The esc doesnt seem to care(doesn't take damage)but if u dunk the system it will get jittery and even quit working til it dries.

Of course this is just my experience. Just though I'd share. No matter which brushless system u pick your gonna get way more power and a more efficient system.

Have fun!

5. Isaac_2500

Isaac_2500 New Member

Go castle sct edition it has the side winder one but ithas everything u need.

6. CLJR10

CLJR10 New Member

Thanks everyone sounds like castle it is but one more question what KV should i get the sv3 comes with different motors. Is higher KV better? Will the stock gears be ok or should i order different ones? Thanks

#6 CLJR10, Mar 7, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2014
  7. Isaac_2500

Isaac_2500 New Member

Get a 3800kv motor.

8. CLJR10

CLJR10 New Member

Ordered it last night got the 4600kv system with the castle link and traxxas battery connectors. Didnt have much of a choice my original titan 12 died yesterday on me lol time to upgrade.

9. Isaac_2500

Isaac_2500 New Member

Cool, u should get the the USB cable to program the esc

10. CLJR10

CLJR10 New Member

I did i got the castle link as well i wanted to be able to program it should be cool cant wait

11. norcalthomas

norcalthomas Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Keep us updated about the new system.

12. CLJR10

CLJR10 New Member

Well it finally got here feels like it took forever and im not a patience person lol. Got it installed tonight and ran it a little outside in the cold just to see and all i can say is holy torque!!!! It is a bit slower than i thought it would be but thats ok i just wish it would wheely. I think it could but its just overpowering the tires and i have proline badlands medium compound and they just spin like its nothing could be the weather too im not sure. Im running the 16 tooth pinion and 90 tooth spur right now on a 4000 MAH 2s lipo. Im gonna run it more tomorrow and if anyone has any input on my setup let me know.

13. Grifter

ELiTE MEMBER

Yea it's got so much torque u actually have to put a big pinion on it to get it to wheely. It just breaks the rear end loose with all that torque.

I was running a 23t pinion and an 87t spur and gettin wheelys, but I cracked the steel pinion on the narrow side where the grub screw goes.

Not sure if it was because of the torque or if it was just a dud pinion gear. It had some age on it to so who knows.

I''ve been runnin an 18 or 19t ever since with no problem and its just a tad slower on the top end than my vxl with a 23t but its got a lot more punch. I've been experimenting with bald tires and silly putty in the diff to get it drifting on pavement and can half ass get figure 8s sometimes. Kinda put that on hold while I restore a beat up trailfinder/stomper truck.

Anyway, I'm glad u got it. I'd go with a bigger pinion and smaller spur and really unleash that thing. Make sure u got plenty of room when u open it up the first time. It's impossible not to get sick with the power and do speed runs for awhile. 23t pinion and 87t spur really felt right on the 3800, i jus havent got a chance to pick up another 23t.

Again happy bashin man watch out for large stationary objects and small children.

#13 Grifter, Mar 18, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2014
  14. CLJR10

CLJR10 New Member

The only thing im worried about is the temp with running a bigger gear than they say u should. Have u had any issues with heat with yours? Idk how mine does now of course its raining here in NY and its been colder so it doesnt even get warm.

15. Grifter

ELiTE MEMBER

I've never had heat issues with the castle system. I ran the 23t pinion during a 30 minute race and it was fine.

I dont have a temp gun so I go old school and just touch the motor. A wise old racer once told me if u can hold your finger on the motor for 2 or 3 seconds your good. If u can't, let it cool and knock some teeth off the pinion and try again. Once u find an acceptable pinion you can start shrinking the spur if u really wanna squeeze out every bit of speed.

I'm sure a temp gun is more reliable than just burning myself over and over but hey, I never said I was smart.

16. CLJR10

CLJR10 New Member

Great info man im gonna try the other gears tomorrow if the breaks see what i get. Thanks