1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Good noobie crawler (Under $300)

Discussion in 'Rock Crawler Chat' started by PJbottoms, Apr 23, 2019.

1. PJbottoms

PJbottoms Member

I know this has been asked before but the threads that came up when I searched were from 2013-2015 and not very current, and models/brands could have changed quite a bit since then.

Got back into the RC hobby after 25 years last may with a couple bashers. Since then I've gotten into the racing aspect and just recently discovered the wide world of crawling. After watching a ton of Medic's vids I now understand the theory and techniques behind it and it seems fun. I also live in a wooded area and basically have a natural playground of rocks, trails, etc right behind my backyard.

[​IMG]

So... what would be a good starting vehicle for some "light" trail crawling.

Looking for an RTR under the $300 price range, something that will be durable and not need a bunch of upgrades out of the box, and no Traxxas recommendations please. Been looking at the Redcat Gen series and the Vaterra Ascender. Pros/cons?

Thanks in advance.

2. walter

walter Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

redcat or vaterra would be good

3. PJbottoms

PJbottoms Member

i was looking at the Redcat gen7 Sport specifically. Not sure what the extra $80 on the 'regular" one gets me in comparison though. Worth the extra money or would the sport hold up well enough for my purposes and terrain ya think?

https://www.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXGUVD

And thanks again.

4. walter

walter Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

the Sport should be just fine

PJbottoms likes this.
  5. PJbottoms

PJbottoms Member

6. Bluedually

Bluedually Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

You might check out the Barrage or Doomsday ECX makes. I have one of their short course trucks and the little thing is super tough.

7. Polaris425

Polaris425 Moderator
    MODERATOR ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    You could always check the boards for used rigs... Lot's of good used rigs out there for that price. Might even be able to find some that already have some upgrades as well.