1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AXIAL GotCox SCX10 Wrangler RTR

Discussion in 'Scale Build Projects' started by GotCox, Feb 13, 2013.

1. GotCox

GotCox Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Ok so this isn't really a build so much as it will be the story of my Jeep and what changes it goes through. Bought it Feb 5th for $380 US with free shipping. Arrived with no damage and good to go. I hate unboxing vids and since you have all seen this rig allready i will spare you from that boring part.

My plan for this rig is to build it as close to a weekend warrior 1:1 rig. Nothing outrageous, nothing that looks great but will break the first time on the trails. Just as scale as possible and a tough as possible to mimic average joes weekend wheeler. And so it shall be known as the Weekend Warrior Jeep.

Couple things i noticed are different with this model vs others i have read. One the tires are glued to the wheel, but now they come with a hole pre-drilled in the wheel. Read about others having to drill a hole or tires being ballooned out from altitude changes. Not anymore it seems. Second is this model comes with the standard plastic shocks, but they are the dress up fake piggy back shocks like the Dingo kit comes with. Next they included cool little body clip pads for easy attachment and removal. Very handy addition in my opinion and makes getting them in and out way better.

So now my opinion on down sides. Shocks started leaking after first 10 min test drive. Two of them are almost completely empty now. Ohh well no big deal they sent some with the kit...right....umm nope. So they send leaky shocks with no extra rebuild or refill oil. Bummer.

Next is just a personal preference thing as i hate the sound of banging plastic bodies or tire rub. To me it sounds horrible and like your driving a cheap piece of crap. Well this rig has both. lol So i raised the body one hole all the way around and added some of the two sided sticky tape right were the body pins go through. These two things helped out some.

Slapped on the aluminum steering link upgrade and went out and played around with everything else box stock. Ran well and has better acceleration that i thought it would. But that could be the 5000mah 65c 2s lipo i got. :) Wheelies on command on pavement, carpet and half the time in grass. So happy with how it was i brought it in and tore it down. lol

Removed the radio box, relocated the battery plate. Took off the bump stops on the shocks. Changed the front end to 4 link(had to use the long screw for the spare tire for now until i can get the proper screw for it. So no spare at the moment). And messed with getting things balanced and weighted like i wanted it. Weight is 5lb's 5 oz's as it sets.

I need to grab some extension connectors for the receiver so i can plasti-dip it and still be able to connect lights and such in the future. And we will have to see how the battery setup works out. I would like a more permanent solution for it, but want to keep it away from the suspension, driveline and tires...ohh and as low as possible. This was the best i could come up with.

Anyway what everyone wants...on to the pics!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

#1 GotCox, Feb 13, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2013
  2. GotCox

ELiTE MEMBER

Some more pics. :)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

#2 GotCox, Feb 13, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2013
  3. GotCox

ELiTE MEMBER

More pictures...ohhh the goodness... :)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

#3 GotCox, Feb 13, 2013
  4. GotCox

ELiTE MEMBER

And finaly here are some shots of it after the changes.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

#4 GotCox, Feb 13, 2013
  5. hvydingo

hvydingo Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Looks great.I can't believe they put the Batt in the rear,and not in the front like the honcho.Does it look like the front bumper could hold up to a winch?

6. scxrunner

scxrunner Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Nice new rig bud!!!

7. GotCox

ELiTE MEMBER

Ya the battery is no big surprise to me as everyone has there own idea's of were and how to mount it. So just putting it in the back from the factory just looks clean and nice. Then everyone can move it were they want. lol I think the bumpers are ok for stock plastic pieces. I lift it by the front bumper all the time and see no ill effects so i would say it would handle a scale winch no problem. I will say that i either want to figure out how to improve the mount or switch to metal bumpers cause i hate the feeling of loose floppiness the stock bumper mounts have.

Thanks scxrunner. I sure like it so far. Needs a lot of stuff to become mine but as a starting point seems like a great rig.

#7 GotCox, Feb 14, 2013
  8. GotCox

ELiTE MEMBER

More goodness arrived today. :) Tires, wheels and scale stuff. Still gotta wait for the weights to put the tires together but i slid one together real quick for a look.
    They are the Mickey Thomson 1.9x4.19 TTC Baja Claws on (or will be on)Axial 8 hole black beadlocks. The tires are supper sticky and i cant wait to try them out. Going to try and run them without foams with the wheel weighted.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

9. GotCox

ELiTE MEMBER

Couple more pics compairing to the Maxxas Trepador stock tires. The stock Trepador is listed as a 4.6" tall tire and the claws are 4.19".
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

#9 GotCox, Feb 14, 2013
  10. GotCox

ELiTE MEMBER

[​IMG][​IMG]Got the wheel weights in the mail today. Put 3.75 oz In each tire. They ended up weighting 7oz per tire/wheel combo and 1 lb 12oz for all the wheels and tires together. Since they are shorter than the Trepadors i was able to lower the body back down and still not get any body rub. Mounted them up with no foams and can't wait to get out and see how they do.

Also getting a Jeep 2 door body from a newbright from my ex's son. He wants money to go buy stuff so i told him i would buy it. Not gonna have anymore updated this weekend as it is my weekend with my daughter and we are heading out of town to visit family. I will try and get video's and pics up after the weekend of playing.

#10 GotCox, Feb 15, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2013
  11. Swampnut14

Swampnut14 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Looks good. Like the work you've done to it and now u can compete in the heavy weight class. LOOOOOOL :D

12. bongofish

bongofish Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Looks good bro!

13. Dv8

Dv8 New Member

Looks good so far. You'll like how the claws perform, good rubbers.

14. GotCox

ELiTE MEMBER

Thanks guys for the feedback. Ya i love the baja claws!!!!!!!!! I am also loving the amount of weight i choose to add to the wheels. I didn't get a single picture, or second of video this weekend as it was just to much fun spending time with my family. But my dad and I took it out with the claws and messed around and wow. Huge change from the stock tires and huge change having weight in the wheels.

When i first got the Jeep all stock the way it came. It was bad top heavy and would wheelie and tip over if you turned the wheel at full speed. Even after moving the esc, battery and such around to mount it all forward and lower it would still tip over easy when turning at speed. Now with the weighted tires, and weight moved around in the chassis it does a great job on even on pavement full throttle will not tip over unless you try and make it. It climbs really well and keeps the tires on the ground while flexing over small rocks really well. So far i am supper happy with the upgrades and changes i have made.

I am hoping to get out this weekend and shoot a bunch of film of this thing rolling. Hope the weather holds out. Might just say screw waiting to get extensions and dip the electronics the way they are as i want a diff radio in the future for this rig. We will see.

New in the mail on saturday is a lift/droop kit so i can play with and fine tune the suspension to work the way i see it in my head. Hoping i can get the shocks to limit out before the axles hit the frame or servo in the front hit the frame. Right now the servo hits the frame in hard flex and the rear axle hits the frame if both compressed at same time.

Once that is solved it will be on to making home made links to the perfect length to get rid of the funky steering on the front end. And rid this thing of plastic links for good!!! My dad laughed at how easy they bent when messing around on carpet.

15. GotCox

ELiTE MEMBER

Little update. Ended up getting two sets of Dingo sized aluminum links and fitting them onto the wrangler. Pulled all the electronics out and they are drying under the sticky plasti-dip. Got the axles clocked just about perfect for what i wanted and got the lift put on and adjusted to were i think it is gonna work well. Still gotta get some trail time to tell about the lift, but it looks promising so far.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

16. GotCox

ELiTE MEMBER

Test ran the electronics today after the waterproofing and all is good to go, didn't test the water proof yet. But that will come soon enough. Got a chance to put on some of the scale items i got onto the body. And at this point i think the rig is good to go. Everything else will be a replace as it breaks type of deal. If the stock tranny goes i will be getting the 2 speed from rc4wd, if the axles go i will be switching to wraith axles, if the servo goes i will be going with a WP metal geared savox. Also got a couple different gopro mounts worked out. One on the top of my controller so i can drive and film at the same time, still gotta try it out and get good at it.

Attached Files:

17. GotCox

ELiTE MEMBER

Just a final shot of how it looks and the controller mount. Ready to go tear shit up this weekend!!!

Attached Files:

18. Dv8

Dv8 New Member

Before you dunk the thing I'd highly recommend re packing all the bearings and stuffing the diff housings full of grease. I'm still on my first set of bearings with a re pack, and theyve been swimming more than a few times over the past year and a bit.

Looks good so far, I like the short mickeys. And definitely a good way of mounting the go pro.

19. GotCox

ELiTE MEMBER

Just a little vid of the stock setup out of the box and me messing with the vid editor.
    [video=youtube_share;UyNgX-AGLn4]http://youtu.be/UyNgX-AGLn4[/video]

20. GotCox

ELiTE MEMBER

The weekend warrior hits the rocks in the new vid. If your interested check it out.
    [video=youtube_share;ZMlj3OO8Lyg]http://youtu.be/ZMlj3OO8Lyg[/video]