1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gromit's Garage

Discussion in 'OFF Road Build Projects' started by Gromit, Jan 5, 2019.

1. Gromit

Gromit Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Hola Companeros,

here i want to start a thread about various land-based projects. I've been rather busy over the holidays to sort out some corpses in the attic.

[​IMG]
    I revived my old M-Chassis Beetle, but couldn't empty a whole battery without breaking an axle. After the third attempt I decided to scrap it. The gearcase has been salvaged along with some bits and bobs from the axles, which may some day be involved in building a rat-rod inspired by RC Everyday.

[​IMG]
    My pride and joy from 1985. It has been running last week as well, but suffers an even worse case of osteoporosis. Axles don't break, they shatter. However, no need to worry about it, it has historic as well as personal significance. LONG LIVE THE SHELF-QUEEN!

[​IMG]
    Move on to 1988, when Turbo Optimas and Super Shots dominated the racetracks over here. I preferred the futuristic design of the Salute, and a friend's dad, who worked as an airline pilot brought it over from Japan. The Salute body was replaced by a Turbo Optima, which was painted to the standards of my teenage self, so I decided to throw it out, and get a new reproduction Optima body for it. Searching for it I found that the Javelin was available as well. I saw a particularly bad-ass looking black example and ordered the body. Unfortunately, in real life the black is hard to see and when the chassis isn't really tidy it doesn't look good. It was also very obviously plastic, so I ended up painting it. Now the red cage stands out and bans the chassis into the background. which I find looks way better. Still hasn't run and I'm curious how it'll hold up.

[​IMG]
    And I decided that the Bug stays where it belongs. That means of course that I'm again stuck with the question what to do with my Tamiya Hummer chassis.

#1 Gromit, Jan 5, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2019
    Antho11 and walter like this.
  2. Antho11

Antho11 Studio Forums Elite
    ELiTE MEMBER

Media:
    All great classics, definitely worth keeping! I still have my dads original Tamiya Holiday buggy from the 80s.

Gromit likes this.
  3. Gromit

ELiTE MEMBER

I have to add that the Sand Scorcher is a brand new one, not an antique. Which is good, because I want to run it. Just not right now. It's a bit hard to scorch the sand when it's covered in a foot of heavy, wet snow.

#3 Gromit, Jan 7, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2019
    walter and Antho11 like this.
  4. Gromit

ELiTE MEMBER

Just brought home a big smile and a good handful of dry leaves, dirt and wood debris in the Salute / Turbo Optima / Javelin. Went through three batteries without anything breaking, apparently thanks to fibre reinforcement. Its weight makes it a tad sluggish, and the state of the tires makes it feel like I imagine a drift car to feel like.

5. Gromit

ELiTE MEMBER

Teaser:

I'm up to something:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

to be continued...